Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T-Scotland/Ireland or Iceland?

Options
Planing a little summer vacation and have narrowed it down to either a 14 day Scotland/Ireland tour or a 7 day iceland tour. I have never been to any of the 3 and they are all on the bucket list. I am really leaning to Scotland as i really want to see the castles..

Question is who has been and how was it. planning on going in july. We also plan to do a guided tour to maximize our time there. The wife and 12 year old boy will be with. they wanted to go to egypt but i have already been there two times.

Any help would sure be welcome. heck any other destinations that i should look at?
1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Tru dat!  I would love to spend a couple of weeks in Scotland/Ireland.  Playing golf everyday and spending the evenings in the pubs drinking with the locals.  Dream vacation!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    You say you are leaning to Scotland/Ireland, that's one point for Scotland.
    I don't know how your son is, but which one do you think would be more fun for him.
    A child not having fun can really take the enjoyment out of any vacation, so if it was me, I would choose which one would be more fun for him.  Castles or glaciers & volcanoes.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Both are on my bucket list and so is Banff. Can't go wrong with either one. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    Ireland is great, Dublin is a wonderful city to explore and the countryside is quaint and beautiful.  Iceland is on my list, but so is Edinburgh, can't go wrong with either. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I've got to support @Zmokin and his advice to let the kid have a major part in the decisions.  Make it fun for him and you and the missus will have a great time.

When our kids were about the same age as your son's, we flew into London.  I'd been there several times, but had a blast showing them the sites via the trains.  Rented a car (asked about air conditioning, they said to roll the windows down) and drove out to see Stonehenge.  Then we worked our way up the coast staying at Farm House Bed & Breakfast places.  Drove into Scotland and visited there for several days.  Visited Motherwell, Scotland, 'cuz I grew up hearing the older relatives telling stories about "the old country" ... their memories were certainly different than the Motherwell I visited.

The kids were great, I think, because we tried to do simple things that they would enjoy.  No visiting four hundred and two castles before lunch stuff.  One of the things they talked about the most was the new born calf they petted at one of farms where we stayed.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• wbradking
    Options
    My brother studied in Europe for a semester in college and traveled a lot while he was over there.  He said Ireland was great overall but Edinburgh was his favorite spot.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    edited December 2014
    Options
    iceland for the fishing, scotland would be a pain with all the permits fees and licenses
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Not to sound selfish here but i know i am being selfish if it were up to me the boy would not be going at all. to put this in perspective this trip is more for ME. My health is not the greatest and walking long distances getting harder year after year so i want this for me while i still can do this trip. I do understand him wanting to go so do ya all think he would enjoy the trip?

I am open to other destinations but nothing like disney world or anything like that. I have a Budget of 20-25K for the entire trip including air. Heck any travel agents out there???
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Not to sound selfish here but i know i am being selfish if it were up to me the boy would not be going at all. to put this in perspective this trip is more for ME. My health is not the greatest and walking long distances getting harder year after year so i want this for me while i still can do this trip. I do understand him wanting to go so do ya all think he would enjoy the trip?

I am open to other destinations but nothing like disney world or anything like that. I have a Budget of 20-25K for the entire trip including air. Heck any travel agents out there???
    I can see your point 100%. To many people only live for their children. I think it's important for children to learn and respect some of the passions of their parents. Any child should be considered lucky to be able make such a trip. I think both of your trips sound fantastic. I have had friends make both and loved both. Many more friends disappointed with Egypt. Not a place I would want to travel with my wife and young child. At best it is described as dirty and unsafe. IMO, great choice to avoid Egypt in favor of your other choices.
    Travel safe...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    Scotland - truly great people and scenery
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Okay, understand where you're coming from.  Although, that only defines the major choice of where you're going and the general outline of what you're going to do.  Give him some choices, make him have a part in the planning, and he should have fun where ever you go.

And again, avoid the "got to see everything, 'cuz we're only here such a short time" drive that seems to come so easily to adults.

Sorry, will now put the soap box away.  To answer the question you asked.  I really did enjoy Scotland, but enjoyed England more.  Eating at the pubs in England is an experience you'll not forget.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
     Jeepster47
    We went to England several years ago. They were hit with a horrific storm shortly before we got there. Worst storm in 200 years. Go figure…
    We ended up cashing in our 7 day rail pass and spent most of our time hitting small towns and living in the small local Pubs. To me, fantastic trip. As soon as you took a little razing and jokes about American football and beer the locals treated us like family.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

I'll weigh in because I have a lot of experience traveling with kids.  Mine are 20 and 17 now and they both traveled internationally before the age of 1 and never looked back as we take at least one big family trip every year. 

Kids are funny where travel is concerned.  They often don't enjoy it that much in the moment when it is more of a cultural/educational trip (as opposed to Disney or a beach) but they will learn a lot that will stay with them for life. 

My daughter recently called me to thank me for all the traveling she had done because 1) In talking with other college students she realized how fortunate she is and she really appreciates it and 2) she recently got some questions right on a test (raising her grade on that exam from a B to an A) because of stuff she learned in Brazil, Germany, and South Africa. 

You definitely don't have to apologize about making this trip for you under the circumstances.  Part of growing up is that the kid has to learn that sometimes he just has to tag along and make the best of it.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't have him involved in some of the planning or make some modifications to adapt to him a little (we found that we could push our kids hard every other day, but when we tried to push them hard 2 days in a row everybody ended up being grumpy).

I have never been to any of the locations you mentioned so I don't have direct knowledge.  However, my mother-in-law has been to all of them in the past 10 years so I got some insight second hand from her after each of her trips.  She loved them all, but for very different reasons.  The Scotland/Ireland trip is great historically and for a US 12 year old, it would be eye opening to see anglo culture that is much, much older than our country. 

Iceland is a totally different thing altogether.  They have a deservedly very proud heritage and the use of thermal energy there is remarkable.  However, it is very different from our culture (at least compared to Ireland/Scotland) so it would be a great trip, but probably harder for a 12 year old to put in perspective. 

With all that being said, and expecially given that you are leaning toward Scotland/Ireland, I would go with that and have a great time. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Scotland/Ireland may have more cultural and known traditions, entertainment that will keep all of you enthralled. 

Iceland is a very friendly place, they love tourists. Though it does not have a such valued history as Scotland, it is beautiful geologic marvel. 

I have found that reading/studying about the country I am going to helped me get more out of the journey.

In your situation, I would would do the Scotland/Ireland this time and go to Iceland in few years when young-en may be more 'nature' inclined.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Great post @Foghorn‌ I hope when my daughter makes it to college I get that same phone call. =D>
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I have done Scotland, Northern Ireland,Ireland, and England. I love it there, Edinburgh is my favorite city. It is just bad ass to have a castle up on the hill that you can see from everywhere in the city. The people are all real nice and the food is pretty good, except for haggis (nasty stuff IMO). July is a nice time there, temperature is like a spring day in the states mid 60s.  If you end up going in August check out the royal tattoo show at the castle. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options

Went to Ireland for our Honeymoon, rented a car and drove around the country. When we found a town that felt right, we stayed a night or two. People were very friendly. In fact, the town where my ancestor's are supposedly from all came out to welcome us at the pub first night we were in town.

• Foghorn
    Options

Thank you @Jeremiah.  I hope you get that call as well.   When you get it, I recommend that you take your time and appreciate the call and the sentiment.  Resist the urge to be a "bottom line, straight to the point" sort of guy and don't say "You're welcome.  I miss you, too."

I'm just sayin...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Iceland is loaded with hot chicks. Just throwing it out there. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    I've been to Ireland and did a 3 day weekend stay in Edinburgh during a one-month stay in London.

We drove from Dublin to the west coast and then down, making a large loop back to Dublin. Dublin is fine and about 15 minutes outside of Dublin you get the postcard vistas in all directions. The people were very nice. We took off without making any reservations, finding B&B's in every place we stopped. We took a ferry to one of the Aran Isles where Gaelic is the main language. It was wonderful.

Edinburgh is a great city, but I'm wondering how comfortable you'll be if walking is a chore. There is a lot to do there, including the castle, which is a must see.

I've not been through the Scottish countryside much, but a guy who was in London with us took his family through it in a rental car. He'd also been to Ireland. He described the difference as Ireland having a lush, green, gentle landscape -- very beautiful -- while Scotland's is much more craggy and violent looking, but still very beautiful, just different. If it were me I would do either Scotland or Ireland. Since you're only planning Iceland for a week, and you'll be dealing with jet lag, you'd get more bang for you buck and a more immersive experience in either of those two places.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Foghorn said:

...  Resist the urge to be a "bottom line, straight to the point" sort of guy and don't say "You're welcome.  I miss you, too."

I'm just sayin...

@Foghorn ... sounds like the voice of experience ...

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

Been to all three....Iceland folks were not nice to the US citizens even though we built the airport they have and the city of Keflavick has totally left the face of earth following the Navy leaving.  Southern lights scared the doo out of me one night in late summer.  Great fjords and glaciers.  A lot of the terrain looks like the moon (was told they tested the lunar rover there).  Reklavick was a normal large city and the Hard Rock café was cool.

Ireland and Scotland is a lot of fun with something for everyone.  Food/castles/golf/lager and the country side is great.  Think you would feel more at home in this location as meals are more in tune with the US for the family.  Love the pubs and B&B's.  I vote for Ireland and Scotland.

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm a little biased as all my family is in Scotland. I've visited there 4 times in my life and it never gets old. It's absolutely stunning. Beer and food is outstanding and you can't beat the scenery. We drove for hours with no destination, stopping where ever we wanted. If you do visit Scotland, see if you can visit Glen Coe...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Glencoe_02.jpg

Stirling Castle is also cool to see...it's very "touristy" but I think it's well worth it

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/23521641.jpg

Gordon
    South Florida
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    You say you are leaning to Scotland/Ireland, that's one point for Scotland.
    I don't know how your son is, but which one do you think would be more fun for him.
    A child not having fun can really take the enjoyment out of any vacation, so if it was me, I would choose which one would be more fun for him.  Castles or glaciers & volcanos.

My suggestion includes you being selfish.  you want to enjoy it as much as possible, correct?
    If your child makes you miserable because they are bored to tears, you won't have much fun.
    If your child is having fun and enjoying the trip, you should then also experience a more enjoyable vacation as well.

The saying goes" if momma ain't happy, then nobody is happy", but the same can also be said of little ones.  It only takes one bad apple to ruin the barrel, keeping your child from becoming a bad apple on your vacation keeps your barrel (aka vacation) from being ruined.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've been fortunate enough to see all 3 w/ the USN. I really liked Iceland in the winter. The Blue Lagoon is a must experience. Reykjavik is a pretty cool place for nightlife. Four wheeling on the glaciers and camping out is pretty cool. The Northern Lights in the winter are amazing! Be prepared for extreme cold and a lot of wind. If you're up for it Iceland is amazing.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    +1 on Ireland / Scotland. Great people, scenery and lots to do.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Foghorn
    Options

Foghorn said:

...  Resist the urge to be a "bottom line, straight to the point" sort of guy and don't say "You're welcome.  I miss you, too."

I'm just sayin...

@Foghorn ... sounds like the voice of experience ...

Was it that obvious? ;)

San Antonio, TX

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    My grandma passed last year & she was 100% irish and ALWAYS dreamed of going back to visit.  Me, my wife & my parents took her remains to Ireland last year and spent 12 nights traveling the entire coast (country is size of rhode island).  We always joke around and say SHE MADE IT, but she made it the hard way!  Between the 4 of us, we held a little memorial for her and put some ashes into the ocean, shared our favorite stories of her . .  then a massive rainbow popped up out of nowhere.  Amazing memory.  

Anyyyyyway we all loved the Irish culture, the old churches/buildings & the people are so happy-go-lucky & friendly. We rented a diesel car and hit every little town on the coast via bed n breakfast. The rolling green hills & coast is beautiful . . . esp the Dingle Peninsula (western tip of europe).  We also lovvved Kilkenny.  Awesome pubs everywhere, I think I had atleast 1 guinness or smithwicks everyday before lunch, the food was not the highlight, but we ended up having some nice meals.  I highly recommend Ireland!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm Irish but I still feel like this is a no-brainer.  Scotland/Ireland all the way!  Have a blast!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike