Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with getting Pizzas onto Egg

Options

I rolled pizza dough onto cutting board, used lots of flour underneath dough and got dough to shape I wanted. Problem is transferring pizza to the Egg with out tearing dough. How does everyone do it? I think I saw were people use parchment paper underneath dough and move direct to Egg.

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    @Mikee - this is all yours....
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Not flour. Sprinkle a light coat of corn meal on the pizza peel or cutting board. It will slide right off. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• scruffee81
    Options

I use a pizza peel, before putting the dough on the peel, I spread a lil Corn meal on the peel, rub it in with my hand, lightly dusted, don't over do it.  Then once the dough is on the peel I build my pizza and give a good shake so I know it doesn't stick. Then transfer it to the my egg. 

watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PGN2xcMaWw

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I do use corn meal on the baking stone. No issues there. Didn't use on cutting board because I needed to roll dough out to size. I like to roll several pizzas and have dough ready to put into Egg when we have a party. This is where I have issues.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Pizza peel and parchment paper is the easiest way to go imho. Others may disagree though. Makes transfer incredibly easy. Cut paper to fit then build pizza and put it on. Half way through cook spin the pizza and pull the paper off.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I never cook pizza without parchment paper. About 2 minutes in the cook I'll pull the paper, or not, it doesn't matter. I hate the grainy texture of pizza dough cooked using excessive flour, semolina or corn meal. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm not a fan of parchment at all. Flour will work, cornmeal is better, but semolina is the best, like tiny ball bearings. Just a pinch on my wooden peel and then place the shaped dough on that to build the pie. And I never use a rolling pin, always shape and stretch by hand, then onto the peel. Jiggle the peel a bit after every topping is addled. Keeps the dough from sticking. No semolina needed on the stone. Just let it preheat.

Here's a video on how to shape the dough without a rolling pin. He also demos the pin, but you can stop watching at that point. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GASGUY
    Options
    I will give it a look, thanks. I like to have everything prepped and ready to go so I can enjoy the party. Guess I am looking for way to prep, refrigerate, and easily get pizza onto to the Egg with the least effort while parties are going on. Maybe invest in a few pizza pans?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Lots of folks use parchment just so they can pre-build a bunch of pies and drop em on the stone.  Put the pie on, wait a minute or two to let the crust firm up a bit, then pull the paper out from under the pie and let it finish baking. Then remove with a peel. I just don't care for the crust when done that way.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Scruffee81, I just go to the video, copy the URL and paste it into my post. Always works for me. Mac with Safari, but I don't think that matters.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am a big fan of the parchment paper and the corn meal.  This way I can build my pies in advance and transfer my pies at will and pull the paper when after a couple of minutes.  Without the paper everything has to be just right or a mess can occur.  I have both a aluminum and wooden pizza peel.  One for building the pies on (bigger wooden) and one for taking them off (thinner aluminum).  I think that @CarolinaQ is the resident Pizza guru on the forum.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • jenericzac
    Options
    I worked in a pizza parlor for years and I can tell you one trick that a lot of people use and some might not like it. Prior to putting the pizza in the oven or egg if you lift up the end and blow some air under the dough it creates a cushion and loosens everything up off the peel. Works every time. Pizza slides right off onto the stone. Realistically the 600 degree temp kills any germs. Like I said, some might not like it but I'm sure if you watched enough people making pizza's all day you would see it happen.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i just use the peel with flour. didnt work at first for me though but the more knife marks the board got the better it worked. rolling doesnt work for me. i need to toss and spin it and sing in fake italian
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I have found that corn meal burns too easily, so I use semolina on a wooden peel.  I use a metal peel to remove the pizza from the stone.  This way we can build the next pizza while the first one is cooking.  Even with semolina, the dough still sticks too much to a metal peel when it is uncooked, which is why I use wood.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SaskNortherner
    Options
    I was having the same trouble until I saw a product on America's test kitchen called the " Super Peel" I ordered one and ended up calling the guy that invented and makes them. He was super nice to talk to and sent mine right out. You can't be a serious pizza maker and not have one in my opinion.
    www.superpeel.com I am not advertising for him but it is the greatest invention since sliced bread!
    LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Wooden peel is far easier to work with than a metal one. Not sure what you are using. Metal works great for removing.
  • duck_hunter
    Options
    I second the corn meal, but I scrape it off of the stone after about 2 pies, 

the first pie on a metal peel is always a little sticky for me, so the first pie sometimes becomes a calzone, or some form of non round pie, for what ever reason after pulling the first one it goes much smoother, 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

I use corn meal as well and give it shake before leaving the kitchen to make sure its not sticking.

Some places use a pizza screen. While waiting to have my vehicle serviced last week, I went to the food court at the mall. The pizza shop was using screens. From my understanding the bottom of the dough does not get as crisp.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Semolina for the win.... Real pizza makers go paper free ;)
    Seattle, WA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Parchment is about foolproof, just like the training wheels on your first bicycle.
    Roll the dough out on your countertop (formica, marble, butcher block, don't matter).  Flour the top.
    Sprinkle course cornmeal onto your WOODEN peel.  Flip the dough upside-down (flour side) onto the peel.
    Build pizza, shake to ensure looseness, and two jerks onto your stone.
    Build next pissa on wooden peel, use your aluminum peel to remove cooked pies.  Repeat as necessary.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Here's how one guy does it. Nothin' but a little flour on a marble counter and a wooden peel. Then 60 seconds at 900°. Sure wish I knew about Mangieri when he was in NYC. I would have gotten to try one. Now he's in San Francisco. Oh well.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

He's made a few pizzas over the years. Did you also notice that he used a scale to weigh items. 

I seen pizza shows on Food TV that made a pizza in just a couple of minutes. Amazing how fast they can perfectly cook one. 

• Volegger
    Options
    I was having the same trouble until I saw a product on America's test kitchen called the " Super Peel" I ordered one and ended up calling the guy that invented and makes them. He was super nice to talk to and sent mine right out. You can't be a serious pizza maker and not have one in my opinion.
    www.superpeel.com I am not advertising for him but it is the greatest invention since sliced bread!
    +1 on the super peel. Only thing I could get to work for me. Kinda spendy but I'd buy another today if something happened to mine.
  • scruffee81
    scruffee81 Posts: 85
    edited December 2014
    Options
    super peel does look kinda cool....but man....kinda pricey...you can currently only order from Amazon, they are about 60-70 bucks   SaskNortherner  you guys can attest to getting this?  I need the push from you guys to spend that money for a peel....   
  • GASGUY
    Options
    Thanks for info.....love this site. Can almost always get useful info and tips when I run into a problem or need help.
  • Carolina Q
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't get the superpeel. I mean, I know what it is and what it does. I just don't see why anyone would NEED that. Give me my 20? year old wooden peels any day. $6.39 (probably less than I paid way back when).

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• scruffee81
    scruffee81 Posts: 85
    edited December 2014
    Options
    im with ya...thanks Q. Ill stick to my wooden peel.  I do have an issue of after my 3rd pizza the crust are just burnt black...I think that its just the Corn Starch building up on the stone.... 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ Said "like tiny ball bearings". That's no lie. Before using parchment paper, I would build the pizza on the peel, give it a few shakes to make sure it would slide off the peel and then wham! Overshoot the stone and big mess. I was never a star at shuffle board and launching a pizza is similar. It just keeps going off the other side.

Save yourself a mess and use parchment paper. So easy to slide pizza onto center of the stone. Wait 60sec and pull parchment paper like you would pull a tablecloth out from under some dishes.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Volegger‌ I scale all ingredients and scale dough balls. Once you get your recipe where your happy it keeps the overall results consistent.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL