Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting this pizza thing down!!! (with pics)

scruffee81
scruffee81 Posts: 85
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum

Finally got in my CGS Large Adjustable Rig with extender and 16" stone and tried it out the other night with two pizza's.   I cooked them at 550F for about 8 mins and have to say they turned out AMAZING!! 

I made some home made pizza dough from a recipe a buddy of my passed down to me, turned out great. If anyone wants to try it just let me know and Ill post it.

First I grilled up two chicken breasts rubbed down with some DP Raging River (love this stuff).  Chopped it up and tossed it in some Franks Wing Sauce. For my sauce I used the same Franks Wing sauce (light coat) then ran some Ranch dressing through it and spread it all around.  Topped with the chicken, freshly cooked bacon bits and drowned with Mozzarella cheese. (best pizza made so far)

Next my girl wanted a Canadian Bacon/ Pineapple pizza. So we made some home made pizza sauce which was also great, got the recipe online, I can also post if people are interested. Cooked exactly the same as above.

We loved them so much, we cooked them again last night, this was after upgrading to my High Que grate and I was able to cook the pizzas at 700F for about 4-5 mins and they were even BETTER!!! The top of the pizzas had a perfect char on them, crust and bottoms were also perfect (I didn't take pics of these guys...they were so beautiful they didn't last long enough to take a pic of).

only one problem now....I never want to order out pizza again...  I think I can live with that.

Comments

• Nice looking pizza!
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Looks like you nailed it! Love buffalo chicken pizza, but I find cooking the buff sauce mellows the heat and vinegar tang. I like to cook the pizza with the chicken on it, then sprinkle the wing sauce on when it comes out of the egg. Good stuff!
  • nice looking pie! 

I agree, the hotter the better, i usually shoot for 650 for 5 1/2 minutes  
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • sweet, just started with an XL about two weeks ago, looking to try a pizza soon
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • gmbbs said:
    Looks like you nailed it! Love buffalo chicken pizza, but I find cooking the buff sauce mellows the heat and vinegar tang. I like to cook the pizza with the chicken on it, then sprinkle the wing sauce on when it comes out of the egg. Good stuff!

Ill have to try that next time.  I didn't notice the tang/hotness gone when I cooked my pizza, but maybe your way is better.  I think maybe with the amount of cheese I put on it it shielded it from some of the heat. Thanks for the comment.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Nice looking pizzas there. I don't buy pizza any longer either. Also haven't gone to a steakhouse in a while either. Isn't the Egg great?
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231

A carry out from your favorite joint will be a treat now and then. Saves the mess. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    I'm going to have to try this, those  look so good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Great looking pizza and a smiling swmbo. Can't ask for more than that. =D>
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Well done, I have yet to do a pizza and gotta get my s$%t together and get one or two done.  Looks like a little rat in the background with the bride that wants some too.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • yeah, that's our lil Rat Terrier, ChaChi, always looking for some scraps.
  • Those look yummy!!!  Nice job.
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Seems that the pizza I make on the egg cost about $30 per 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    After I cook the Christmas Eve beef tenderloins, pizza is next on the list! You have inspired me!! Please post the dough recipe. Thanks!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited December 2014
    Nice Pies! Did Mikee help you with our dough??? :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    It would be nice to try your dough recipe.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Please post dough recipe.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Bump

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I hope you weighed everything or else it can't be approved..
    Aurora,OH
  • Sistm
    Sistm Posts: 53

These look ggrrreeat!!!  

Was this direct or indirect? I am wanting to get either a 14 or 16 in. stone and was curious how people are placing the indirect stone and what size for the larger pies. The AR i have came with the spider and a 13 in stone which may be too small to use with a 14 or 16 in stone on top.

Thanks!

• @sistm Thanks! and they were GRREEAT!!!    Its direct, on my AR I have the AR extender and place a 16" stone on top. Of my two cooks and the dough I used, it turned out best at 650-700F for about 4-5 minutes.  I let the stone get up to temp before placing the pizza on the stone, roughly about 30 minutes of heating it up.

the pic attached is from Ceramic Grill Stores site, that is how I cooked it.  Turned out great!  Good Luck!

• I have used papa Murphy's on the egg. Turns out better than the oven.

Kansas City, MO - Go MIZZOU!

LBGE - Summer 2014

• Old thread I know, but I tried the same setup last week.  LBGE, Adjustable Rig, Rig Extender and 16" stone but had a few problems.  Just checking to see what the consensus is. 

First pizza I didn't have the 13" stone in my spider and the bottom started cooking way fast with a dome temp of 500-550 but the top wasn't browning.  2nd pizza with the 13" stone in the spider and I couldn't keep the temps up high enough.  Perfect bottom crust, center a little too chewy, and top not brown enough.  3rd pizza hybrid between stone in and out with a perfect bottom but again chewy crust and not brown top.  Still problem with the lower temp.

Three points in which I have questions for the group:

1)  I wonder if I didn't let my stone get hot enough before putting the first pizza on.  I want to say I waited 45 minutes but it could have been closer to a little over a half hour.  I'm guessing an hour (correct). 

2)  Do I need the rig extender or could this be choking out the top of the dome from getting hot enough with the 16" stone?  

3)  Should I need the indirect plate at the bottom in the spider with me being that high up in the dome? 

We've got the right sauce and dough recipe for what we like, but now I just want to iron out those details and figure out how to flatten out the dough just a smidgen more and I think I'll be on the money.  Any thoughts?

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

• scruffee81
    dblalock1030

first...dough's cook differently first off.  you need to figure out what works best for the type of dough you are using....primarily the cook temp.  For example...I've heard people using Trader Joe's doe balls because of cost....a dollar a dough ball and when I used my same method of cooking pizza I had similar results to what you listed.

2nd...you saying you waited 45 mins+ to place your pizza on is plenty time to wait for getting your stone to temp especially if your egg is stabilized at the temp you want.  you can always get a laser temp reader...I use this one and its on sale right now from Thermoworks...works like a champ and gets up 750 F its also backlight which is nice for night cooks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html

3rd...don't use a lot of sauce on your pies.  that will create issues for you when you cook them (making longer cooks which will lead to you burning your pies crust) .  I literally probably use maybe 3 tbl sp's per pie maybe less.  

4...I don't use my spider with 13"stone when cooking pies.  I use my Adjustable rig with extender and place my stone on top cooking direct.  The higher you can get the pie in the dome the better. especially if you want the nice browning on top.

hope this helps.

• scruffee81
    Here is the pizza dough recipe I use.  Comes out great. This amount will yield 3 16" and extra dough to make about 10 breadsticks. 

Ingredients

4 cups Gold Medal bread flour
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 envelope dry yeast
    2 teaspoons Kosher salt
    1 1/2 cups water [110 degrees F]
    3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing pans 

Directions

In a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and kosher salt. While the mixer is running [with the hook attachment] add the warm water and olive oil and keep mixing/kneading until the dough forms a ball.  

Remove the hook and take the bowl from the mixer. Cover the dough with greased plastic wrap and leave in a warm draft free area for at least 2 hours to rise [I know, but it's worth it].

When the dough has doubled in size, turn out onto a slightly floured surface and divide into 4 equal parts. Cover with plastic wrap and let them rest 10 minutes.

Roll each ball out very thinly...

I have found that this dough cooks best between 550-650 degrees high in the dome.