Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Catfish on the Mini and Cold Oil Fries

Options
This was good. Real good. =P~ The fish was soaked in a milk/salt bath for 30 minutes, rinsed, dried and breaded with Zattarains Fish Fry. Fried the nuggets up on the Mini BGE while I had the "cold oil fries" cooking up inside. If there is ONE recipe that I have to pick as being the top of the list, COLD OIL FRIES is the one. Do yourselves a favor and try them out! Best fries on the planet IMHO. :) They are more delicious and actually healthiER than normal fries since they absorb less oil. Here is the link to the Cooks Illustrated recipe. Simple as all get out:

http://deep-fried.food.com/recipe/easier-french-fries-cold-oil-method-cooks-illustrated-415262

On with the pix!

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Very nice! I've never been brave enough to fry on my egg. Love the cold oil fries. I will put those on the todo list!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My heart just skipped a beat or two. That meal would be a very guilty pleasure, but damn it looks good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Agree on the fries. I saw it on their show a few years ago and it is was the tipping point for me signing up for their site.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother that looks fantastic for sure. Fried catfish is one of my very favorites.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Smoker317
    Options
    I have never heard of cooking fries that way.  We will give it a shot!!!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    It sure looks good!
    I'm just not sure that frying fish in oil on your bge is a good idea. Seem dangerous to me. If the oil spills or splaters it could cause a fire.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We love fried catfish fillet nuggets. It all looks fantastic!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My brother from a different mother......... Very nice...... I am not into frying on the Large but comfortable with the Mini.... Very nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,474
    Options
    It sure looks good! I'm just not sure that frying fish in oil on your bge is a good idea. Seem dangerous to me. If the oil spills or splaters it could cause a fire.

I used to think the same thing, until I realized I have a gas stovetop, and if I ever spilled oil there I'd also have a fire.  Inside the house.

Now I don't deep-fry at all.  
    :\">

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,474
    Options
    And I just read through the recipe, and it counters what I've been told my whole adult life: make sure the oil is hot before adding the food, to avoid oily soggy food.

:-??

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• johnmitchell
    Options
    That is beyond Awesome..I would devour that in a heartbeat.... =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thx fellas'! @TigerTony‌ , the mini egg's grate diameter is about the same as an indoor burner, so the CI skillet extends slightly past the edge of the egg. There's no way for the splatter to hit the coals. @Botch, it sounds strange, but it works. :) I think it has something to do with the starch content of the Yukon golds.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great! I've been doing a lot more frying lately. I wish I had a dedicated fry station to leave setup. I hate cleaning up and putting away the oil.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Great looking meal! The mini shines again!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA