Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

are we just different?

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Neighborhood round Robin party this past weekend. We didn't host this year and I'll have to say that the food SUCKED. Is it me or do you always try to astound your guests? I'd die if I thought someone didn't love the food. I wouldn't serve Sam's appetizers or pretzels dipped in chocolate. Maybe it's just a cook thing. It's not for accolades. ..just seeing people enjoy eating is worth it.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    We're not different, we're just informed. (or like to think we are)

To many, that old saying "ignorance is bliss" is very true. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I love pretzels dipped in chocolate! I'm good with that. You would notice how much I'm enjoying by the amount I'd eat ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Some people just do the minimum just to get by, some are busy and don't have the time, some have personal things going on that prevent them from giving their best.  Then there are others that no matter what is going on around them they put their best food forward.  Pride in results.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • henapple
    Options
    TigerTony said:

I love pretzels dipped in chocolate! I'm good with that. You would notice how much I'm enjoying by the amount I'd eat ;)

I like them also...but the only dessert at the "dessert" house. Maybe it's just me. They did have Apple Moonshine though. Naturally, that was my dessert.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    There are exactly zero pictures of nekkid me surrounded by bacon.  I'm pretty sure we're different.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye (or mouth), I guess. I have been to just one fest. With few exceptions, the food there was horrible! The pretzels would have been a welcome treat. I was so hungry by the time I left, I had to stop at Burger King on my way out of town. Haven't been to a fest since.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    TOTALLY WITH YOU...Putting on the dog is part of the fun...accolades follow with succulent morsels....

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

I am with you on this. We entertain a lot, have my husbands coworkers over, friends. Always really good food and plenty of drinks and snacks. I was raised that you treat your guests almost like royalty. So when they invite us over, which is not much, we are served, get this, Stouffers frozen vegetarian lasagna. Yep, you heard it. It was awful. My dinner that night...cheese and crackers.

On the other hand we have friends who can't reciprocate for a variety of reasons so they take us out to dinner once a year. We have a lot of fun and eat great food.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, I know what you mean. I enjoy taking time in figuring out the menu, prepping, and then seeing everyone enjoy themselves.

I think others don't enjoy it and look at it as another task to check off their list.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    Options
    My neighbors aren't hurting...but it's ok. Just wondering who's with me. I'll eat a bag of cheetos but wouldn't serve them.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Your neighbors were probably pleasantly surprised your clothing wasn't woven from bacon.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    Options

Your neighbors were probably pleasantly surprised your clothing wasn't woven from bacon.

I had my bacon thong on...cooking it tonight.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Tony, this is a disease. Had friends over for wife's b'day last week. Cooked every bit of it. But some insisted they bring something and I said OK. One of the fams brought stale tortillas and another snack. I mean STALE. So I asked them where she got it and she replied, I had it at home and were sitting around, so I brought it.

That's how much they care. Bring it for others rather than the garbage can.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Totally agree Tony! When I'm hosting guests I always aim to get the "Awe holy **** balls this rocks!" I don't want to serve some hum drum crap that they can pick up in the Wal-Mart. I'd be mortified if somebody said "wow this tastes just as good as the grocery store deli section". #-o
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    My neighbors aren't hurting...but it's ok. Just wondering who's with me. I'll eat a bag of cheetos but wouldn't serve them.
    It depends Uncle Apple. When those kind and caring democrats have been in office for a while, my money gets mighty slack. During these trying times I'm forced to eat canned tuna and Cheetos. So I guess if I had guests over they would be eating Cheetos too. However, when the good times return, it's lobster and ribeye all around for everyone!! 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm with you.  Whenever we host a party we go all out.  The last one we did had naked cirque du soleil performers swinging from our chandelier and serving bacon-wrapped lobster tails.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    I heard cheetohs or cheesies as we know them are a great crust for chicken

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Party snob here as well. We do a neighborhood party for about 50 people every year. Everything is made fresh and good quality. Spiral ham, pulled pork, home made lasagna, home made ziti, marinated roast beef for sandwiches, fresh rolls, six dozen stuffed cabbages imported from the coal region of PA, crab dip, cheese tray, cream cheese and pepper jam dip, fresh baked poppy seed and nut rolls, cookies, cheesecake, nuts, candy, beer, wine, punch, Kielbasi, shrimp tray, crab claws, fresh salsa............ The last party we went to at one of the neighbors, I took 20 pounds of pulled pork and rolls. (Everybody was asked to bring something). Next closest thing to real food was cocktail weiners wrapped in crescent rolls. Lots of chips and dip, a veggie tray, cheese and crackers, fruit.
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I keep PBR on tap.
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    We do a party every Memorial Day weekend at our lake house. Last year had all 3 eggs going and a Cajun pig cooker - 2 briskest, 4 pork shoulders, a few racks of ribs and some different apps, all well received but I will need to beat it this year
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Yep , we are different, for better or for worse. The same can be said of hobbyists of almost any type.

Re: food at parties , etc. folks provide what they are capable of - whether  because of financial reasons, lack of culinary skills, pre-occupation with work/kids/family, and so on. Like many others here, I would rather go all out to feed folks coming to my house because that is what I like to do. If the audience is appreciative, it is a definite bonus.

But I've also learned to appreciate what others provide, because I give them the benefit of the doubt that they had good intentions. My pops inadvertently taught me a lesson in humility this summer, which I'll share with you after I've purloined a few of your beers in Salado next March. Don't want to go into details here, but it was a useful lesson for me to learn. Make sure you remind me.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like a good story.  And you're right, @Caliking - people don't have time to cook, or cook real food.  More and more families can't survive with dual incomes and there is little time to raise kids and work, and cook.  
    edited December 2014
    Options

I don't eat out much anymore. The primary reason is the food and the cost. I had friends, co-workers, neighbors ...  say how great a steak at a restaurant was. Went there and for $18+ had a bland meal.

A good friend years ago raved how good a Mexican restaurant was. He traveled 40 miles every weekend to go there. I went there twice; figuring I hit them on a bad night the first time. I sort of felt bad for the guy. His girlfriend had a hard time boiling water without screwing it up.

When cooking for guests I will normally make something I am familiar with. If it's something new like an appetizer, I'll make a batch to sample.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    My wife and I just had this same conversation about our monthly supper club. We go all out. Good spread every time and always something unique. All Egg related.

Not so for everyone else.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    caliking said:

Yep , we are different, for better or for worse. The same can be said of hobbyists of almost any type.

Re: food at parties , etc. folks provide what they are capable of - whether  because of financial reasons, lack of culinary skills, pre-occupation with work/kids/family, and so on. Like many others here, I would rather go all out to feed folks coming to my house because that is what I like to do. If the audience is appreciative, it is a definite bonus.

But I've also learned to appreciate what others provide, because I give them the benefit of the doubt that they had good intentions. My pops inadvertently taught me a lesson in humility this summer, which I'll share with you after I've purloined a few of your beers in Salado next March. Don't want to go into details here, but it was a useful lesson for me to learn. Make sure you remind me.

I agree, if your talking about people who can and enjoy cooking that puts out garbage then they are probably just lazy. However everyone can't or don't like to cook so just appreciate the fact they are willing to have everyone in their home. I was always taught and it's something I battle with our 5 year old to appreciate what you have and what others give. Since we all share a deep love of cooking we want to show off those skills and put out some awesome food. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think many of us have simply come to really enjoy cooking on the Egg, and serving our creations to friends and family.  It's funny but it has really changed the way I look at this.

We were over some friends of ours home last spring, and the husband was telling us about this thing that was going around on Facebook or in email about how people were circulating their lists of best book read, best movie seen, best meal eaten that year, etc.  He told me the best meal he'd had were ribs I'd cooked on the Egg.  

Now, I don't think my ribs are anywhere close to as good as some of you guys can make. I just haven't been cooking that long.  But I know many of you have received similar comments from friends regarding various cooks.  Some of it is just friends being cordial, sure.  But at least where I am, very few people have BGEs to cook on.  So there's an element that people view it as being something special.  

Sorry for the ramble.  I'm ready to come back to the US and hopefully start Egging again soon.   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I'm with you henapple.  If I'm cooking for an event (family or whoever) I try to bring my A-game.  I want to wow them and hear the omg this is soooo good!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    We don't entertain a lot. I'm a big time introvert, but this damn egg has me looking for reasons to invite folks over. I love putting out good grub and seeing people happy.

However, people who pose for photos with bacon, and those who find that effin funny have got to be different.

Matter of fact, if you're family doesn't eat until you photograph a plate, you're different.

I'm still new to this game, but wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I try to deliver my best in everything which includes food for entertaining. I think it is lost on some people and those are folks who open a few jars and bags when they entertain. Different strokes for different folks.

LBGE Atlanta, GA