Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need some feedback

Options
My father-in-law is retiring after the 1st of the year and I want to get him something nice to honor all those years of great service he gave. Been thinking about getting him a new grill. Now I know we are all Eggheads here but I know my father-in-law and a BGE isn't his style ... otherwise I'd get him one. He has always been a Weber kettle guy and loves cooking a good pork steak more than anything. I have been considering getting him a nice pellet grill like a Yoder or maybe a Traeger but I have zero experience with them. I think he'd like the simplicity of them and the set it and forget it aspect of them. I don't think him and the mother-in-law are huge fans of a lot of smoke on their food though. Would a pellet grill be the right choice? I'd hate to spend the money and him end up not liking it. I have also considered the Weber Platinum that has the big prep table off to the side and has propane feature for lighting the charcoal. What do you all think? What kind of grill should I get him?
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

How old and set in his ways is he?  If he is set on a Weber then the Weber Platinum would be the way to go. 

I have two friends with pellet grills that are really happy with them.  I'm not sure how smoky the food is off them though. 

I also have two friends with Char Griller Akorn Kamados that are very happy as well.  I'm a big fan of them and have cooked on them several times.

Maybe someone with more (any) experience with a pellet grill will come along and be of some actual help. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Options
    I am not at all understanding this. Isn't the Weber kettle a charcoal grill? Not that there is anything wrong with that piece of kit but the egg is capable of so much more.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Do a little more probing and see what he thinks of an Egg. Finding a right gift is hard to do.
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    He may like the mini, it is a great choice for the small meal's
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I would think an egg would be less of a jump from the Weber than a pellet grill. What he knows now from the Weber would be transferable to eggland, a pellet grill would be a whole new learning curve.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I can't really say what type of grill that your dad may or may not like. You mentioned a pellet grill. If you chose to go that route, let me highly recommend Yoder. A friend of mine, brother Reed cooks on a YS640. The Yoders are second to none and leave nothing to be desired. If money isn't a concern, I recommend stepping up to the YS1500. That bad boy is baffled like some offsets. I do not personally own one, but I have seen them up close and in person. They are top of the line in pellet smokers. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Hmm, you obviously know your FIL better than I do, but I know I am at that stage in my life where there are very few things, especially big ticket items I would want someone else to buy for me.
    I know the last thing I would want is someone trying to buy me a new BBQ.  I have very nice stainless steel gasser and my Large Egg.  I would not want an XL, or mini or anything else.
    I have the tools I want for cooking and if I find I'm missing something, or something breaks, I replace it.  Now, when I retire, if someone wants to buy me a $500 digital giftcard for Snake River Farms, that I could & would use.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd get him tickets and a hotel room to an egg fest. He'll have a good time and he can pull the trigger himself if he buys into it.
    Options
    If his favorite thing is grilling a pork steak, the pellet eater might not be the best choice. If he's going to be traveling around, the MM or mini would be a great choice to grill up a quick pork steak. Although, he'd have a slight learning curve with an egg, the egg will be standing much longer than the Weber. Get him the egg or some other type of ceramic cooker if your set on a BBQ gift. Get him something that will last so that 25 years after retirement, he'll still be talking about the best retirement gift.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming