Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yeti Cooler Alternative?

Options

Comments

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Got 2 Yetis and a Pelican. Pelican is huge. 35 lbs empty. It's stout. Love the Yeti. Go to Austin Cayak (ack.com). Sign up for their emails. You get a 20% off one item coupon. My Roadie cost 200 with free shipping. Got my Yeti 45 at a silent auction for 260. Couldn't pass it up. After watching Yeti's 500 lb man video, I was sold. And, yes, the Ramblers rock.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    But to answer the original question... HEB has a Yeti knockoff. Think it was called the Kodi or something like that.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • cottonseed
    cottonseed Posts: 87
    edited December 2014
    Options
    K2's scratch and dent is the best all around value and performance.

go to the site and look for the scratch and dent clearance.

they have VERY minor "defects" from manufacturing.

i didnt even notice where mine would qualify as a scratch and dent.

they go for 40-60% off retail price.

got my 30 qt for $160.

Im sorry but Pelicans are just too damn ugly.

Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Pretty big fan of BRUTE coolers. Local company here in Texas with more insulation than a YETI and they will throw a custom lid graphic on for you. Also made in America. 

I have a brute also..they are awesome also true to size....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Pretty big fan of BRUTE coolers. Local company here in Texas with more insulation than a YETI and they will throw a custom lid graphic on for you. Also made in America. 

You had me at Made in America. 

Wow. I was all ready to show that yetis were 100% usa (which was the case when I got mine) but then found this:image
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cottonseed
    Options
    Yetis are the biggest racket in our current outdoorsmen market place. save your money.

Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • MeatChurch
    Options
    I forgot to mention they are true to capacity size, have 2 different types of handles, 2 plugs and a measuring tape. I'm a big fan.
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pelican is made in USA.   They're also a very large supplier of cases for the US military.  A 45 QT is closer to 50 QT.  They run bigger than their advertized size. 
    Options
    Pelican is made in USA.   They're also a very large supplier of cases for the US military.  A 45 QT is closer to 50 QT.  They run bigger than their advertized size. 
    No wonder my 65QT weighs a ton even empty, still brand new and debating if I shown return it to Costco.  It was primarily an impulse buy because the CAD $149 price was hard to resist.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    No wonder my 65QT weighs a ton even empty, still brand new and debating if I shown return it to Costco.  It was primarily an impulse buy because the CAD $149 price was hard to resist.
    That is a fantastic price…You might be better off waiting for Costco to stop selling them and list it local for $200-$250. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    That is a fantastic price…You might be better off waiting for Costco to stop selling them and list it local for $200-$250. lol
    Have you been spying on me? It was Costco's end of summer clearance, I just listed it for $225 few days ago!  Now's not a good time to sell coolers though, unless someone puts it on Santa's list.
    canuckland
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Use my yeti 20 for a lunch box every day. I look at it as my designer handbag! LOL gotta give my leftovers off my expensive grill the TLC they deserve
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Yetti tumbler is what I treat my coffe to. Keeps my Joe warm for a long time.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Have you been spying on me? It was Costco's end of summer clearance, I just listed it for $225 few days ago!  Now's not a good time to sell coolers though, unless someone puts it on Santa's list.
    Good point. We used to put our beer in a cooler in the winter to stop it from freezing. Oh, the great white north...
    When July comes around it will sell.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I just don't understand what you guys DO with a cooler to need one that costs $2-3-400. Especially the $250 lunch pail!! I'm sure they are great coolers, but...

I have a 1980something Igloo 48? qt that likely cost $20 or less. Similar models are still available at that price today. The latch has been broken for forever and I replaced it with duct tape. I rarely use it any more, though I do still use it, but it was just fine for many years of family camping trips or as a beer cooler for cookouts and parties. Step stool and occasional seating too.

I'm sure the good ones keep ice longer, but I can buy a lot of ice for $400!! And if someone steals mine (yeah, right), I'm out 20 bucks.

And as for the Yeti 500 lb man video, yes I know mine wouldn't stand up to that. As if that would ever happen. And anyway, I don't know any 500 lb men.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    It's like everything else, sometimes its nice to splurge on something.  My Timex watches keep time way better than the Rolex.  I still like my Rolex better, and rather have it than my Timex.  

Another example, CARS...you can go buy a Chevy Colt or a Porsche 911, they both do the same thing. Why would you spend $100k on a Porsche? 

With your thinking people should only buy the lowest price item available that can do the job comparably...I think that is what the russians tried to do in iron curtain times.

Frankly, I think this is an absurd argument to have in a Forum for BGEs...hell my $30 Weber knock off from WalMart could make a freaking awesome steak.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• rosem
    rosem Posts: 48
    Options
    Might as well ask for a knockoff egg while you're at it. :p
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    engal makes a high grade like the yeti but also makes a cooler/ drybox thats reasonably priced. i use the baitcooler made from the cooler/ drybox. full gasket sealed. i put a frozen 12 ounce water bottle and change it out daily on the weekends. just dont get the 13, it wont fit a standard beer bottle standing, i only allow cans on the boat so that doesnt bother me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    rosem said:
    Might as well ask for a knockoff egg while you're at it. :p
    The BGE Egg is a knockoff.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    engal makes a high grade like the yeti but also makes a cooler/ drybox thats reasonably priced. i use the baitcooler made from the cooler/ drybox. full gasket sealed. i put a frozen 12 ounce water bottle and change it out daily on the weekends. just dont get the 13, it wont fit a standard beer bottle standing, i only allow cans on the boat so that doesnt bother me
    I have that Engle Dry box and I use it ALOT more than the Pelican, mostly as a cambro.  It's light and that gasket makes all the difference in the world.  Also, I think I paid $40 for it on woot!
    Options
    I have a Pelican 65 on the way. I don't plan to get rid of my cheap everyday coolers. I never intended to purchase a high end cooler, but we're heading to FL for a week, and not having to unload stuff into the fridge, and reload ice, etc will be worth it to me.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's nice to have a Mercedes (Pelican) in the cooler collection.  I still have a bunch of cheap ones for parties or "Brisket Camp" situations. 

Carolina Q  Why?  Because I can.
    We just got back from FL from a week of racing.  

Thursday filled the yeti with beer, cokes and gatoraids, ONE bag of ice and left it in the FJ.  Temps where in the 70's the whole time, and after each day of races we would all get back to the car, pop a couple cold beers before heading back to the house.  Sunday, we still had ice cold beer.  And I didn't have to stop and get ice each morning.  Is that worth $300, hell no...but I do this 10 times a year, and not having to stop and get ice every morning makes my life so much easier and I LOVE EASY! 

Dallas, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ... but I can buy a lot of ice for $400!! ...
    when you run out of ice in the wilderness you can't buy ice at any price  ;)  you can also save money by staying at a sketchy motel and not worry about risky your safety fetching ice, okay that's stretching it  :D
    canuckland
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    Speaking of sketchy Motels and Ice...when in High School and maybe for a couple years after...would anyone load up the truck with coolers, head to a motel with an outdoor ice machine and borrow some ice for the house party? 

Dallas, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

K2's scratch and dent is the best all around value and performance.

go to the site and look for the scratch and dent clearance.

they have VERY minor "defects" from manufacturing.

i didnt even notice where mine would qualify as a scratch and dent.

they go for 40-60% off retail price.

got my 30 qt for $160.

Im sorry but Pelicans are just too damn ugly.

All coolers are too damn ugly.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Shaytoon, it was just a question. What do you do with a cooler that justifies such an expenditure? And a statement. My cheap cooler does the job for me. 

If, as you imply, it's just a case of conspicuous consumption, then fine. At least that's an answer. I'm delighted you like your Rolex. There was a time when I considered one. Then I came to my senses. But we're not talking about a piece of fine jewelry. Or an automobile. It's just a COOLER.

In any case, the original poster was interested in a good cooler without the ridiculous price. I doubt he's wearing a Rolex or driving a 911. 

The Russians??? Sheesh.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    I personally thought the Russians Comment was especially a nice reach... =))

"What do you do with a cooler that justifies such an expenditure? And a statement. My cheap cooler does the job for me. "

But that comment right there is the issue, we are talking about $300.  People in this forum spend that on a couple of steaks and a brisket...At least the Yeti/Pelican/ICEhole coolers are a durable good that will last. 

I think it is very interesting that you can seperate a watch/car from a cooler.  They are all items that we don't need, but want. This is a conversation I would love to have with ya over some Scotch and a nice bone in Rib-Eye! If you are ever in Dallas, my treat!

Dallas, TX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yetis keep beers colder. That's my story.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Thanks for all the great recommendations guys. Sounds like there are some other options out there. 
    Dallas, TX