Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacing Dome Themometer

Options
Is Tel-Tru still the go to for replacing my dome thermometer.  And is it better to go with a longer stem and use a cork if need be, or just a shorter stem?

Any input would be appreciated

Bill

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yes tel tru is still the best. Bge came out with a big one that came off the xxl, If you wanted a bigger face.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    So, 3.5 inch or 5 inch?

150/750 or 200/1000 degrees?

Use my BGE mostly for smoking, but I do cook on it from time to time.  In fact, just did a couple of beef tenderloins last night! :)

Bill
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Smokeware is a second option for a larger (3") dial.  Several forum members have the Smokeware gage, but no feedback from them yet.  And, no idea who makes it.

Getting the stem of the gauge out in the airflow and away from the "slow to change" ceramic, might give you a quicker indication of changes in the combustion process.  You can always choke it up with a wooden/cork spacer when meat encroaches on the stem.  My, still in the box, backup gauge is a long stemmed Tel-Tru ... same company that manufactures the BGE gauge.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    whta said:
    So, 3.5 inch or 5 inch?

Use my BGE mostly for smoking, but I do cook on it from time to time.  In fact, just did a couple of beef tenderloins last night! :)

Bill
    years ago before BGE switched to Tel-Tru brand I replaced all of mine with the 200/1000 range ones for these reasons:
    I never cook below 225 and certainly never at 150! Secondly I do like to bounce over 750 for searing so why tax the thermometer's upper limit of a 150/750 when the 200/1000 can take it in stride!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @whta - how old is the egg? If its relatively new, I think the thermo is under warranty for 1 year. You may be able to get one without paying extra.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

I think the Smokeware large dial is a relatively new release. 

As far as temp range goes, really depends on your taste and cooking style.  I'm a smoker right now, but will be trying my hand at pizza come January.  I'll probably go with the 1000 degree max range one....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• revolver1
    Options
    RRP said:
    whta said:
    So, 3.5 inch or 5 inch?

Bill
    years ago before BGE switched to Tel-Tru brand I replaced all of mine with the 200/1000 range ones for these reasons:
    I never cook below 225 and certainly never at 150! Secondly I do like to bounce over 750 for searing so why tax the thermometer's upper limit of a 150/750 when the 200/1000 can take it in stride!
    Good point RRP
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks all.  I will go with the 200/1000 for the reasons RRP stated.  I've has the bge for about 2 or 3 years now.  Bought from a friend who's family had 3 young kids and they didn't have the time to wait for charcoal to get to temp. . . Winner, Winner Chicken dinner for me!  Got the bge, table & accessories.

THANKS AGAIN!
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I posted a review of the Smokeware thermometer yesterday. Installed and tested Saturday. It is accurate and it works.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

egger ave said:
    I posted a review of the Smokeware thermometer yesterday. Installed and tested Saturday. It is accurate and it works. ...
    Opps, you're right and I did read it ... got sidetracked with the "Original wife and 4 dogs" though and forgot.  Hard to argue with a review that says it works as intended and it's accurate. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    Anyone find that their thermo sweats a lot?
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Can you calibrate the Smokeware?
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    whta said:
    Thanks all.  I will go with the 200/1000 for the reasons RRP stated.  I've has the bge for about 2 or 3 years now.  Bought from a friend who's family had 3 young kids and they didn't have the time to wait for charcoal to get to temp. . . Winner, Winner Chicken dinner for me!  Got the bge, table & accessories.

THANKS AGAIN!

the attached picture shows the old BGE thermometer, the new large face BGE, and the Tel-Tru high range thermometers. Only issue with the high range thermometer is that the increment markings are close together. My bad eyes prefer the larger dial for being able to read it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.