Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Smoked Pulled Pork

It was a nice day out for a smoke. Mid 60's, no wind and sunny! Bilo currently has pork butts on sale for 99 cents per pound for those of you interested. I'm going back tomorrow to pick up a couple more. Here was tonight's 10 lber. Turbo'd it with Maple wood. It was spot on! Got lots of good work lunches packed for this week. Sauced it with Shealy's Mustard Based BBQ Sauce.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Nice! And thanks for the heads up, I'll get me one tomorrow.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Guys how well can you freeze the butts from the store. $.99 is a deal but I have never thought to buy and freeze raw.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    I wouldn't think there would be a problem as long as they aren't close to the expiration date. Especially since you're bringing the pork to such a high temp in order to pull it. I could be wrong though...? I've been known to be wrong on a couple of occasions. ;)
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Wish I had one around me. I would buy a couple. That looks fantastic.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mickey, where ya been man? LS doesn't even defrost em before he cooks. Takes a little longer, that's all. I have one in my freezer now. Next butt is gonna start out as a solid block. If the rub won't stick, 'll throw on the egg for a bit and then rub. And no, I will NOT use mustard! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey, where ya been man? LS doesn't even defrost em before he cooks. Takes a little longer, that's all. I have one in my freezer now. Next butt is gonna start out as a solid block. If the rub won't stick, 'll throw on the egg for a bit and then rub. And no, I will NOT use mustard! :)

Thanks Michael
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Those look great!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Smoked an 8lb butt this weekend as well - yours looks great! I also managed to spatchcock a chicken on the mini too - have you ever tried it? The bottom was a little burned, but the meat was tender and juicy and got great reviews!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Mickey
    fence0407 said:
    Smoked an 8lb butt this weekend as well - yours looks great! I also managed to spatchcock a chicken on the mini too - have you ever tried it? The bottom was a little burned, but the meat was tender and juicy and got great reviews!

Do you have a Woo?

• fence0407
    Mickey said:
    fence0407 said:

Do you have a Woo?
    Not yet - it's on the Christmas list though. Normally I'd spatchcock indirect on the large but the pork was taking a little longer than planned. So I set up the mini direct around 400 and threw the bird on.
    Cumming, GA  

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sweet pork and egging area.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Good looking cook!  I wonder if Harris Teeter had the same deal in my area since Bi-Lo bought them?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Looks delicious, I also like the yard, nice little setup.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mickey said:
    Guys how well can you freeze the butts from the store. $.99 is a deal but I have never thought to buy and freeze raw.
    If they are in the cryovac, I've got three in the freezer.  Been freezing them for years.  No taste difference that I can tell.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I felt relaxed and in a better mood immediately after seeing that first pic.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Very impressive smoke ring - I didn't know turbo butts could get that nice red ring!
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    caliking said:
    I felt relaxed and in a better mood immediately after seeing that first pic.
    That is a great looking grilling and dining area in that pic.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050

Thanks guys!  I have an Eclipse Backyard Grill Center.  It has lights on the sides and a bar area on both sides.  Picked it up off of Amazon several years ago for $400.  It has served me well!  It has seen it's better days though.  I really want to redo our backyard and do something a little more permanent. 

@fence0407, the woo with the 2 old stone oven pizza stones is the way to go for the mini egg!  You'll get all sorts of versatility with that setup. 

• fence0407
    @Dyal_SC‌ it's on Santa's list!
    Cumming, GA