Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Max Delays

Options
So after reading a ton of posts about how much people loved the Mini-Max, (And frankly that people were going slow and low on it which was an initial concern) I called my dealer here in MA to place an order. I paid on Nov. 25th and was quoted two weeks. After two weeks I called for an update and was told that it wouldn't available until after the new year. Anyone else seeing similar delays? 
LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Lol. I ordered 4 months ago. From what I've gathered bge sent out 60-70. That's what we're seeing. According to my dealer the first and current delays are due to the carrier. I guess the carrier is made by another company that's not fulfilling the orders.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Martello_Penne
    Options
    Has your dealer given you any time frame at all? 
    Jeremiah said:
    Lol. I ordered 4 months ago. From what I've gathered bge sent out 60-70. That's what we're seeing. According to my dealer the first and current delays are due to the carrier. I guess the carrier is made by another company that's not fulfilling the orders.

LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    @Jeremiah‌ I heard a little different story, supposedly they had trouble with the casting of the dome (different than the small) and that's what caused all the delays. Only 1000 wrnt out to distributors and only the top selling dealers got them. Hope you get yours soon! I'm waiting for my dealer to get one so I can check it out in person.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    FYI:

I called around to several dealers in my area and put my name on a list.  Only one dealer in Cincinnati got them on the first run.

I'm getting notices from the other places that they got theirs in so it looks like another wave of shipments has hit.

Hopefully you get yours soon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Well at least the excuse is new :))
    The first one was because of the cardboard shipping box :-@
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't know, but I feel dirty.

Ok, not really...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    A couple of my local dealers had 10 between two stores. They're down to two. And expecting to get more within a few weeks if anybody is looking. Orange Park and Jacksonville FL area.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @DMW‌ the KJs wont get hot enough to sear a steak. Atleast that's what the BGE dealer I got my mini from told me. Didnt have the heart to tell him I had one and love it. You'll really like it and best of all you slide the sides of the box off and you have a fully assembled grill. Ready to cook.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Lit - Already unboxed. I'm not planning to use it until our FL trip after Christmas, so it's by the tree for now.

My little green buddy seems kind of excited about the addition...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @dmw post that on the BGE Facebook page.

MAXIMUM LULZ!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

FYI:

I called around to several dealers in my area and put my name on a list.  Only one dealer in Cincinnati got them on the first run.

I'm getting notices from the other places that they got theirs in so it looks like another wave of shipments has hit.

Hopefully you get yours soon.
    Well that's good news. It'll come when it comes. I'm not gonna let myself worry with it anymore. :((
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    My dealer said the end of December-hope that is the case.
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    My 10 y/o daughter asked for a mini for Christmas. She loves to cook so not a bad idea. Wife said the mini max made more sense for beach trips etc...So the hunt began. Called many local dealers and was quoted mid to late January. I hit pay dirt at a somewhat new shop in Suwanee GA. He had 3. Now he has 2. I will have a happy little girl.
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • tbst
    tbst Posts: 43
    Options
    I think a lot of the problem from my experience is weak BGE to dealer (retailer) communication system. I called about 10 dealers before one new what it was. My dealer wasn't familiar either but ordered one just to get one in stock after I contacted them.

I am not sure why the people that have already paid have gotten them. BS.
  • tbst
    tbst Posts: 43
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I ended up buying the first one.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    High demand and low availability means higher profits for dealers. I should have got the Joe Jr. a few days ago when it was $339 at Ace. That's 1/2 the price of a comparable minimax.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Our initial shipment here in California went fast, now we are waiting for the 2nd wave to hit...we're told after the first of the year.  We've already presold half of our 2nd shipement, going like hotcakes.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Mikee said:
    High demand and low availability means higher profits for dealers. I should have got the Joe Jr. a few days ago when it was $339 at Ace. That's 1/2 the price of a comparable minimax.
    This. I spoke to my local dealer on Saturday and he doesn't have a clue when he could get his hands on one. He quoted me a price of $500-550 for the MM. They can keep it for that price.

I should've jumped on the KJ Jr's last week. I'll have to keep my eyes open for another sale of the KJ's.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

Honestly, if I knew about the KJ JR roadshow at Costco last summer, I would have gotten a black one in May.  There were so many opportunities that were missed by not having a portable ceramic cooker. But, after being told that the goal was to get the MM out by Memorial Day, then by July 4, then by August, then by football season, then by November1, (I got on the list to get mine last April as I had hoped to get one for my birthday which is in April), and paid for it on October 24.  I picked it up the day before Thanksgiving.  It was worth the wait.

Don't be surprised if you don't see your MM until Valentine's Day, maybe later. I think the dramatic build-up is what the BGE company has as a core principle in their business plan.

I love them though and am very happy that I was able to get one.  I am using the heck out of it.

Had I gotten a KJ JR at the beginning of summer, I still would want a MiniMax.  Unsure if I'd have one but I'd still want one.  With all the delays, it became personal to get one....

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the delay is the drones to deliver them.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Called around for a MM today. None to be found on the floor, but less than a handful were allocated to the dealers in the area. I paid for mine over the phone, and pick it up at my dealer later in the week. Shipping from the warehouse tomorrow. Overall, not too bad of a price, and didn't have to beg and plead. Lucked out more or less.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    The wife saw one this weekend. They were asking $600 for it.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset