Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control

Options
2»

Comments

• Chetscapes
    Options
    Where did u get the cheap element?
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options

I too am new to the egg..Mines an XL and I begin adjusting about when Im at 75% of desired temp. That way im slowing the egg down....slowly making slight adjustments. I will say the grill surface is about 10 degree's hotter than the dome temp ONCE DESIRED TEMP IS REACHED. It will vary significantly as your ramping up. I use the bottom for larger adjustments and the top for fine..It is kind of tricky in that as the egg, racks etc. what your cooking begins to warm up additional adjustments may be needed. I'm no pro but it seems to work for me..

Internal meat temps are your REAL gauges.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options

This weekend we cooked some chicken (Saturday, 250-300) and burgers (Sunday 450-500) and they were great. Follow BakerMan's advise on firing the egg and it did a great difference on temperature and how I was able to control it. Another noob advice is to let daisy alone, for both cooks left it around half open and only move the other one.

Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Patience.  I always get in trouble when I try and rush the cook and not let the egg fully stabilize before putting on the protein.  Walk it up to temp slowly by closing the vents as you approach your target.  This is especially important for low temps.  Besides, it gives you the chance to consume an adult beverage, assuming you're so inclined.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    You will need to experiment.  There are many approaches to achieveing desired temperatures, and there may be differences across eggs.  I cook on a medium egg and use Rutland starter squares that are split in half.  I fill the firebox and light using three of the half-squares. I leave the top open for about 10 minutes, close the lid, leave the daisy wheel off, and use the bottom vent to control temperature - 1/4 " or so to 1/2" or so depending on whether I want 225 degrees or 350 degrees.  Check from time to time. The lower vent or the daisy wheel can be used to control the temp.  I usually use the lower vent, but the daisy wheel is of great assistance if the temp is too high.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Smoker317
    Options
    Where did u get the cheap element?
    First off, I am an idiot, I posted those pics on the wrong thread.  LOL.   I read a thread about a fellow not getting his egg hot enough for pizza. 

Wow, I am having a senior moment, regardless, I bought a ten dollar heating element at Home Depot or some place like that. 

I plugged it in for a for a couple minutes and then put in vice and bent.  Works fine for me.  Google:  Electric charcoal starter.  I think I have the brinkman, it is on amazon for $12.97.  A lot of people say they last maybe a year at best when used regularly.  But for $13.00 bucks, I can live with that...  I have only used mine about twenty times.  I got lazy and wanted to stop using a chimney.

Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • sfont
    sfont Posts: 4
    Options
    I use an electric charcoal starter and find that it works great.  I leave it plugged in about 5 minutes then unplug and close the lid.  I usually let my temp get a little over my target before closing the vents down.  I find that once the food goes in it brings the internal temp down already with just that and then as the food warms up the temp will steady where you want it.  As everyone else said its easier to bring the temp up than down.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    stike said:
    The daisy is a dimmer switch. Too hot? Shut it a bit. Too cold? Open it. No idea why some wanna make it difficult.
    You're back!?