Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raging River Racks of Pork - a bit OT

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So this is a bit off topic because it is not on an egg or even a ceramic cooker. Rather a Hasty Bake Legacy. 
Took it over to my folks' place this morning along with Hasty Bake lump, which is re-badged Ozark Oak, and some cherry chunks for smoke.

We had my brother and sister and their families there as well for an early Christmas celebration. We are doing it early this year because my brother and his family will be traveling during the actual holiday.

Rubbed with Dizzy Pig Raging River when I got there.

And then fired the HB and got it set for indirect cooking.

My big guy came along to keep me and my dad company.

And once it got stable around 350*-ish I put it on. You will notice I also ran 2 grid temp probes to get a feel for hot spots, etc. The temp gauge built in the hood is little more than a hood ornament. Completely useless, you need to have digital grid probe. When I was at 350* grid, the hood temp gauge was reading aprox 225*-250*. The short stem it has along with its placement leaves it about as useful as nipples on a bull.

I had to add charcoal several times, no huge deal, but this is not a set it and lock in the temp cooker. Now, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Tending a cooker can be a relaxing activity. I pulled them off just shy of 140* and let rest for a bit while everyone sat down.

Overall, the Hasty Bake worked fine as a smoke roasting machine. No complaints, just need to pay attention to it. I'm sure I will get better at how best to build and tend the fire in it, but it produced edible results today. Actually, not just edible, very good results. Those racks of pork are too easy, all I did was sprinkle with rub and roast until done. Nice and juicy, no brining involved.

If anyone hasn't purchased these Racks of Pork from Costco, go do yourself a favor and pick a few up. Lots of possibilities with them, and hurry before the holidays are gone and the racks of pork with them.

Cheers,

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Looks awesome! I guess you're liking the HB? I'm still envious of your luck. 
    Dallas, TX
  • DMW
    edited December 2014
    Options
    TN2TX said:
    Looks awesome! I guess you're liking the HB? I'm still envious of your luck. 
    Thanks!

This is my first real cook on it so far. Still deciding how I would rank it. I left it at my parents place so at least I have a charcoal cooker when I'm over there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    Cool choice of rubs - I just got the DP Raging River, but haven't tried it yet. What was the flavor profile like on the smoked pork?
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Egged or not, it looks like a winner to me. From time to time I cook on other smokers as well ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gogogordy
    Options
    Looks to be cooked to perfection! Great job, it's fun learning to cook in different methods and different equipment, yes?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Yep, those racks look good and tasty. Love that cut.

And shrewd move on your part to leave the cooker at your folks' place!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    Options
    Chelnerul said:
    Cool choice of rubs - I just got the DP Raging River, but haven't tried it yet. What was the flavor profile like on the smoked pork?
    Not sure exactly how to describe the flavor profile, but RR is one of my favorites. Around here it gets used on chicken more than just about any other rub. Of course on salmon it is perfect as that is what it was developed for initially. I don't use it on ribs or pulled pork, but on chops or loin, it works great.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Excellent finished product...Looks good and succulent... =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Looks great man. That's still a great deal on that hasty bake! <:-P
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.