Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanukkah Brisket-Not sure I want to try this

Options

We are having our annual Hanukkah dinner this Friday. Typically I make a brisket that is braised in the oven with a mix of vegetables, red wine and beef stock. My daughter and grandson are coming over plus may invite other family members. They love it every year, there is very little left.

This year Mr Evie wants me to try a packer on the BGE. We have a medium. so size is limited but thinking about a 10-13 lb if I can find one. I am afraid to mess with success and if it doesn't work out, well we can order pizza I guess. Not sure I want to try it, only brisket I ever made on the BGE was a 5 lb flat that I did Travis method. It was real good...but this one I would want to smoke.

Opinions? I know it is a tough cook. It is about an hour a lb right...so we would have to start it real early in the morning to be ready by dinner I bet.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Do one of each and make stew/chili out of the one that's left over. Bet it's the oven. :D
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Please try a full packer, you won't regret it, with the help of this forum and the members, I did a 14 lb full packer on my medium. I had to fold it over to make it fit, you don't have to cut it apart. I will post the link to my cook. It was assisted by some of the best on this forum, it was a huge success
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1172033/first-overnight-first-full-packer-brisket-input-greatly-appreciated#latest
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Take a leap of faith. All will be fine. Everything is better egged
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Give it a try. I think you will be surprised at the results. I too used to do brisket in the oven, but haven't in years after getting my Weber Smokey Mountain years ago and now with the egg it has made it easier to me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    If the lamps could stay lit for 8 nights while the gage was on E; you should be able to nail a brisket using the BGE and this forum....
    Have a little faith and go for it :)
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Thanks guys! That is it, we are ON!

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother I say let it rip. There are some of us who will gladly talk you through it on the forum or on the phone. Depending on where you live, there are a few of us that will even stop by and help you out. If you are close, I will lone you Unit #6. It will almost cook the brisket for you.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Many briskets can take 1 1/2 hours per pound. You might want to plan that for your time and then if it is done early you can put it in a cooler wrapped in foil and towels (FTC).
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    You will never braise another brisket in your life once you have done one on the egg.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Go Egg, you won't regret it
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm a big fan of giving the dogs what they want to eat. Especially on special days. I think a great surprise would be to smoke a brisket on a day they may not expect it. Sounds like you have this cook nailed and people might be expecting your best when they show up. Smoked brisket can be finicky- even to those who have done many.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gogogordy
    Options
    hapster said:
    If the lamps could stay lit for 8 nights while the gage was on E; you should be able to nail a brisket using the BGE and this forum.... Have a little faith and go for it :)

This ^^^^indeed!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • evie1370
    Options

Thanks guys for all the comments and encouragement. I was hoping to get half or a full day off to do the packer, but that did not come to pass. The boss, the real SWMBO, is not granting any leave for  now as this is a crazy time of year...and business is just exploding now. Not complaining, BTW, it is called job security!

Anyway I am putting off the packer for now. But will definitely do it soon, but will have to order one special as our butcher does not carry anything above a 5 lb regularly. When I do I will definitely let you guys know.

@anton: I checked your link, thanks! Yes, that makes it doable on the Medium! Again thanks so much guys-this forum is the best!

"

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @evie1370, glad I could help, you will love it. As you can see, I had great help as well!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you're family likes the oven brisket, it was probably for the best that holiday tradition was kept.  

My wife's family makes it similar, and after a couple times I finally had the courage to tell her that I'll make myself something else the next time she makes it.  I haven't had to endure that stuff in probably two decades now.  Real BBQ brisket is much better.  Maybe it can be a new year's day meal for you.  :)
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • evie1370
    Options

Actually, you guys got me thinking....I know, dangerous!

I am off the day after Christmas. Nothing really to do (Christmas is movie day, when Mr Evie and I go to the cinema) so a brisket...hmmmm.....or the following weekend?  Let me see if i can order a packer. Here in Cincy I am having a real problem getting that size. I will also check Costco.  

"

• badinfluence
    Options
    Order a SRF brisket they have that size.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    I'm doing my first15lb packer for tomorrow night (5th night).  We have some neighbors coming over, so I went large.  I plan to start it tonight, hopefully getting it on the egg somewhere around 9-10pm.  I'd much rather it finish early and be FTC'd than have hungry people waiting. 
    Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Having done my first brisket for Passover, I'm a huge proponent of trading up from pot roast.  Sorry to hear you can't get the time to do it.  But keep it in mind.  We're all pulling for you!!

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

I'm doing my first15lb packer for tomorrow night (5th night).  We have some neighbors coming over, so I went large.  I plan to start it tonight, hopefully getting it on the egg somewhere around 9-10pm.  I'd much rather it finish early and be FTC'd than have hungry people waiting. 

Not sure what time you're eating but that brisket could be done in 12-15 hours. On at 9, off at noon. Is the brisket 15 lbs trimmed?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    henapple said:

Not sure what time you're eating but that brisket could be done in 12-15 hours. On at 9, off at noon. Is the brisket 15 lbs trimmed?

It was 15.5 lbs before trimming, so probably about 13.5 lbs of meat. I'm not going to get it on before 10 tonight, so I should be okay.
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    @evie1370‌ sorry to hijack yor thread, but seeing as you didn't have time for the brisket, and one big Hannukah Brisket thread is better than two small threads, I thought I'd add a pic or two.

The meat went on last night at about 10:30. At 9 this morning the IT was up to 157, and the dome temp was stable at a hair under 220.

Here's a shot of the meat pre-cook.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    evie1370 said:

Actually, you guys got me thinking....I know, dangerous!

I am off the day after Christmas. Nothing really to do (Christmas is movie day, when Mr Evie and I go to the cinema) so a brisket...hmmmm.....or the following weekend?  Let me see if i can order a packer. Here in Cincy I am having a real problem getting that size. I will also check Costco.  

My Jewish friends introduced us to their tradition of Chinese food and a movie on Christmas. Love it.

I throw my latkes in the air sometimes...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qSJCSR4MuhU
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Not too bad. I lost my fire at about 2:30lm with the IT at 174. I wrapped it in foil and restoked the fire for the finish. Also made some burnt ends out of the point.