Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boos boards

Looking at getting a reversible  20 x 15 Boos board with a juice groove.
They make a 2 1/4 " and a 1 1/2 " thickness. Is one thickness better than the other ?

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    I'd go for the thinner one for easier handling. Still plenty thick to stand up to work over time.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • I was wondering if there would be splitting or warping issues with the thinner board ?
    Not that 1 1/2 " is thin !
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited December 2014
    Is it end grain or edge grain? If its end grain I would go thicker, if its edge you can get away with the thin one. I have a 24"*24" 4 " thick end grain boos block and I love it
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    My Boos is 2.25" and looks as good as the day I received it. Id find it hard to believe anything they make with their fine reputation would ever crack as long as it wasn't mistreated!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • edge is what I'm looking at.
    I like the end grain , but not the price !
  • the end grain has really saved me sharpening my knives, I don't think I will go back to edge.  They are expensive thats for sure.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I am on my 2nd cracking boos. The first one started splitting under a year and this one isn't splitting yet but you can see its starting to in 2 places. If you watch any of the cooking channel shows that use them watch close you can see many of the boos boards on the show are splitting.
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    I have a 24 x18 boos.  Its. 1.5 thick.  1.5 is plenty for our needs.  And the size is huge.  I have tons of counter tops and it takes up a nice foot print.  If your kitchen is smaller, stick with the 20 x 15.  The 1.5 inch is plenty.  You can get one for 50ish on acemart.com

Any restaurant supply store will give you a better price than Williams Sonoma, etc.

I love my Boos.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • One thing I should add is I am very anal about keeping my block tip top.  I wipe water off as soon as I'm done cutting, and I oil it every couple weeks at least.  My wife won't touch it because she is scared she will leave some tomato juice on it or something and cause it to swell.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• The thick ones of that size are heavy so I would get the thin one if you are planning on carrying it around. Otherwise, the thick ones stay in place well when carving. Buy their magic oil or something similar to keep it oiled (i.e. not dried out).
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have had this one for about 44 years (think we bought it right after getting married). image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Damn, that board is two years older than me AND in better shape AND a lot better looking.
  • @Mickey that is what I originally wanted, but my wife wouldn't let me spend the cashola on one.  dare to dream
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mickey said:
    Have had this one for about 44 years (think we bought it right after getting married). image
    That is a beauty, Mick! You must have stayed put many of those years or had gorillas for buddies to move that beast from home to home! Back when we were "mobile" a couple cases of beer and ham sandwiches moved a lot of furniture and appliances! Then the older we got we sold stuff rather than to pay professional movers. Just the same had we owned that butcher block table that hummer would still be with us today - that is for sure! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    @Mickey that is what I originally wanted, but my wife wouldn't let me spend the cashola on one.  dare to dream

When we bought it, it was a lot of money. But 44 years later it's not so much (might say we got our money out of it). Kind of like an Egg. @RRP that thing is so much easier to move than the damn baby grand we used to have and made about 4 or 5 moves before I as allowed to sell it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have a rolling 6" boos pro chef end grain block that is great but the edge grain cheap blocks they are selling now do not seem to hold up. My current one is starting to separate in the middle of the board not the edges which is a quality issue for sure. It only sees soap and water when meat is cut on it and is dried right away and set on the stove burners overnight to dry from all sides. I also use a mineral oil bees wax mix that is sold from the guy that I got my custom board from and all my boards get done every month or so. I won't buy another boos edge grain I am going custom for my nest veggie board.
  • Mickey
    @Mickey that is what I originally wanted, but my wife wouldn't let me spend the cashola on one.  dare to dream

Thinking back and not saying at all the Boos is overpriced but it was the most overpriced thing we bought back then besides my wife it is one of the few items I still have.

• I think the block I have will last me many many years. I swear its a Boos, the name is just on the other side of it.  Don't mind the baby, he just likes it as wellimage
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    @bigalsworth that's an expensive changing table!!

@Mickey That board looks awfully low for us tall guys. How well does it work with your height?
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mickey
    apinion said:
    @bigalsworth that's an expensive changing table!!

@Mickey That board looks awfully low for us tall guys. How well does it work with your height?

It is fine for me. LS might need a stool

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think the block I have will last me many many years. I swear its a Boos, the name is just on the other side of it.  Don't mind the baby, he just likes it as wellimage
    Don't chop up that human baby!
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    ive had a boos table, 4x24x48 inches for 15 years now, absolutly no problems with it. end grain is the way to go
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it