Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Tri-Tip Roast

Options
NCEgger
NCEgger Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The local Harris Teeter had some Sirloin Tri-Tip roasts on sale today. I have heard very good things about this cut of meat so I want to try it on the egg tonight. The roast is a lot bigger than I thought. It reminds me more of a London Broil size. I was also dissapointed that it was prepackaged in a marinade. However, it doesn't look too overpowering so hopefully I can add my own marinade and rub.[p]After reading several posts on tri-tips I have decided to forgo the low and slow and the sear. I am going to cook it at 350 until internal temp. of 135. I am going to marinade it in some Allegro Original and then rub it with seasoned pepper, kosher salt, and garlic. Then on the grill for 30-40 minutes.[p]Any comments on this method? I will let you know how it goes.

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    NCegger, I always do mine low and slow first to 125, then sear, but pulling it at 135 seems a bit high, it might be pink at best, it will hit 140 after a rest.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    NCegger,[p]If the packaged marinade is not too strong, why add more? Maybe just adding some of your own rub will be enough to compliment the roast.[p]I recently added a Tri-tip page to my cookin' page. You can check it out below.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    [ul][li]Click Here[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • NCEgger
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Thanks for your comments. How long does your low and slow usually take?

• NCEgger
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I will just use the rub. It was just best laid plans and all. I don't want to overpower the tast of the meat as I hear it is very good on it's own. I usually use the Allegro on my steaks but only let it sit in the marinade for a short time, less than 20 minutes.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    tri_tip800.jpg
    <p />NCegger,
    I dont know, I just put it on, wait at 250 dome, till 125, let it rest for about 15 minutes then sear. Anything else I have can be done within a half hour so I never gave it any thought.

• reched
    reched Posts: 18
    Options
    NCegger,
    I just recently saw them at my HT also. They were pretty expensive and I noticed one that was ginger flavored. Also noticed a real beef brisket too.

• Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    NCegger,
    Do it exactly as you say. Cook it fat down direct for 15 minutes, flip and let it arrive at an internal of 135 degrees, let it rest 15 to 30 minutes and enjoy a fantastic meal.

• NCEgger
    Options
    reched,[p]I did not get the ginger flavored one. They also had a "Steakhouse" Tri Tip. Looks more like a pepper and wine mixture. They were on sale at $3.99/lb. I was surprised how big of cut the meat was. It is 3.69 lbs. Total cost $14.72.[p]Yes, they did have a beef brisket. I don't think it was the first one that I have seen in HT, but they are rare. I still haven't tried a brisket, but it is on my list.