Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday's Potroast in the Making

Options
While getting last nights proteins at Fresh Market I grabbed a 3 1/2lb Chuckie for tonight supper. Decided to do a Potroast
DO was direct at 400° to toast the veggies.
And to sear the meat
Deglazed the DO with some red wine and put everything back in along with some last minute celery and added some beef stock and herbs.
Put in the stone for indirect, a piece of oak for smokeand got it stable at 275°. Let it roll topless for 1 1/2hr to absorb some love. Now it's covered and doing its thing.
Stay tuned to see if it turns out good or not.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Knowing you I already know the outcome. It ends with full bellies. Big smiles and the @SGH‌ seal of approval
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Okay Matt, do you have a teenager in the house?  I absolutely can't keep up ... still left overs in the frig from the last two cooks of yours that I copied ... and you just keep chugging along.

Will watch this one ... looks good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• boochsr71
    Options

looks awesome Matt.. I'd like to try one of these. Could you explain the sear please.... did you sear at 400 at the felt line and than choke it down to 275 for the cook?? I hope you enjoyed it!! thanks..

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looking tasty and am very interested in the outcome. I've been wanting to do this on my egg, but being down from hip recovery may have to settle for it to be cooked in the crackpot.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    No teenager here, just me and my wife. I still have one chicken breast left but the fridge is void of any other leftovers.
    @grege345 - Thanks. We will have to wait and see cause this is the first time out on cooking a chuckie like this. Plus my wife makes a mean roast which means she's already got high standards.

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looking excellent thus far. Standing by for the finale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mattman3969
    Options
    boochsr71 said:

looks awesome Matt.. I'd like to try one of these. Could you explain the sear please.... did you sear at 400 at the felt line and than choke it down to 275 for the cook?? I hope you enjoyed it!! thanks..

I had the DO setting at fire ring height with no indirect stone. Once I deglazed And added everything back in I removed the DO and put the stone in the Woo and the DO on that. Everything is close to fire ring level because I am using my small and the headroom is a little tight for the 5qrt DO.

analyze adapt overcome

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Oh my Oh my!!! This was a home run for sure. May have topped.... Ok I wont say.
    Just over 3 1/2 hrs simmering at 275ish and probed like melted BUTTAH.
    And ready for the eatin. I had 2 plates this size and thought about a 3rd

analyze adapt overcome

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Gah!  Once again, why do so many outstanding/copy-worthy cooks come on Sunday night?!?!?  C'mon, Retirement!!!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I hate you and your pics
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Man that is some scrumptious looking meat and meal.... Just what you need for the winter. Enjoy!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh my ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• boochsr71
    Options
    thanks Matt... it looks incredible

Booch- from Medina, Ohio