Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the reverse sear method and what does it do?

Options
Buzilo
Buzilo Posts: 185
Hey fellow egg heads 2 questions. 1. What's the reverse sear method? 2. Has anyone had bison steak? If so, is it any good and how do you season it? Costco has it on sale in my area... 40 dollars off. Ends up being 10 steaks for 100 dillars

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited December 2014
    Options

Reverse Sear is typically a method to roast at a low temp first say 225/250 until you protein gets to a certain temp (for me I cook until 115 indirect for steaks) then crank up the Egg to desired temp for me its 550/600 direct then sear until your desired temp, I like to go 130 then rest for 15/20 minutes

I know some of the fine Eggers on here will chime in with a more exact method and ideas.

I have never had Bison so no help there.

I hope this helps.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Thanks grillmagic,

I am reading up on it but what I don't understand is the benefit of the reverse sear. My logic is if I sear the steak, it will create a crust and prevent the juices from leaving the meat vs sweating them out by heating up first? In your experience, was it better?
  • Buzilo
    Options
    FYi- Costco canada ... Search for bison and you will find 40 dollars off shipped from 140 for 10 bison steaks. If anyone is interested.
  • Grillmagic
    Options

Buzilo said:
    Thanks grillmagic, I am reading up on it but what I don't understand is the benefit of the reverse sear. My logic is if I sear the steak, it will create a crust and prevent the juices from leaving the meat vs sweating them out by heating up first? In your experience, was it better?
    Both methods are Great and I say give them both a try, I often put woods chunks in during a reverse sear for some smoke. I also enjoy cooking on a screaming hot Cast Iron pan and do as you suggest and sear them hot and fast
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The crust of a seared steak does not prevent moisture loss. It is only for flavor.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options

Reverse Sear is typically a method to roast at a low temp first say 225/250 until you protein gets to a certain temp (for me I cook until 115 indirect for steaks) then crank up the Egg to desired temp for me its 550/600 direct then sear until your desired temp, I like to go 130 then rest for 15/20 minutes

I know some of the fine Eggers on here will chime in with a more exact method and ideas.

I hope this helps.

Good advice. I roast mine until about 105, then sear to desired temp of 130 (letting it rest on a rack covered with a tent of foil until temps come up to 135 or so). I think a little longer sear adds more flavor.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Grillmagic
    Options

I hope this helps.

Good advice. I roast mine until about 105, then sear to desired temp of 130 (letting it rest on a rack covered with a tent of foil until temps come up to 135 or so). I think a little longer sear adds more flavor.
    Thanks for the tip and I will try cooking to 105 just to sear a little longer like you suggest, we love that flavor.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it I just know it works. IMO it only works with thicker steaks. The thinner steaks do just fine with a sear up front. Also, I've never had bison steaks so I don't know if I'd take a 100$ leap of faith on 10 of them if they end up being so so. I've had bison burger a few times. They are good but I think they are to lean. I'd much rather a 80/20 ground chuck. Good luck on whatever you decide and happy egging.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    The reverse sear method is what you should do in the case of over searing. It only works on concrete patios though for it requires you to remove said steak from egg and scrub it in a counterclockwise motion on the patio thus removing the chared burnt meat.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Buzilo said:
    Thanks grillmagic, I am reading up on it but what I don't understand is the benefit of the reverse sear. My logic is if I sear the steak, it will create a crust and prevent the juices from leaving the meat vs sweating them out by heating up first? In your experience, was it better?

The main benefit that I see is that it's much easier to raise the temperature in the egg than lower it.  If you gently bring your egg to 250 or so, roast your steak slowly, it's easy to open the vents and let it go to 600 or so for a nice sear.

Opening wide open to sear at the beginning makes it much more difficult to lower the temp for subsequent roasting.  And if you try to close the vents too quickly, you risk bad smoke from a smoldering fire.
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Both are good just try them both. Search T Rex method for the front end sear. The benefit on the front end is you have an easier time controlling final temp.

having said that, I like reverse.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited December 2014
    Options
    +1 on Reverse sear over T-Rex simply because it's easier. Reverse sear is particularly awesome for very thick steaks and for Tri-tip (which is a roast that thinks it's a steak...).

Oh, and yeah, 'searing in the juices' is BS, but the maillard reaction is real and it's DELICIOUS!!!

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    I also have had excellent luck with the reverse sear. Check out this article - I found it very educational and applicable:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_temperatures_and_reverse_sear.html

Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    In my experience, the thicker the meat, the more carryover there is from the slow roasting and there is less temp creep from the sear. If it's thin, then you get the opposite - the sear can drive up the interior temp quite a bit.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    The reverse sear method is what you should do in the case of over searing. It only works on concrete patios though for it requires you to remove said steak from egg and scrub it in a counterclockwise motion on the patio thus removing the chared burnt meat.

Oooh, I've been doing it wrong.  
    :))

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    ... scrub it in a counterclockwise motion ...
    That's silly @Jeremiah, you're going against the grain that way.  The Coriolis effect calls for counterclockwise motion in Australia ... in the Northern Hemisphere a clockwise motion is required.  Don't lead the folks around in circles ... the wrong way.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Buzilo
    Options
    Chelnerul, that was a great article. I have the XL egg and I am assuming that I should use the plate setter, get it to 250 cook the steak for 4 min each side and take the plate setter out, wrap the steak in foil, turn up the egg to 600+ and get the steak on for another 2/3 min each side. Is this right? Also, when I sear the steak at 600 should I keep the lid open?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Buzilo said:
    Chelnerul, that was a great article. I have the XL egg and I am assuming that I should use the plate setter, get it to 250 cook the steak for 4 min each side and take the plate setter out, wrap the steak in foil, turn up the egg to 600+ and get the steak on for another 2/3 min each side. Is this right? Also, when I sear the steak at 600 should I keep the lid open?

Depending on the thickness of the steak, it will probably take a little longer than that.  Cook to temperature, not time. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You're only gonna sear for a quick time, lid open is fine and that fire will be licking your steak like crazy so be careful turning it. Also, if you like a lot of crust over presentation, I sear in a CI skillet with butter. It's really awesome crust.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Okay, so internal temp of 135? Medium rare?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That's the high end of medium rare. 130-135 and it's going to rise on you. I'd shoot for 125-130 and let it rest and rise.
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Should I wrap it in foil when I let it rest?
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Loose tent will work just fine
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Do not wrap in foil. Just set them on a cookie rack that laid inside a cake pan. Just tent loosely with foil. For reverse sear, I don't go with anything thinner than a 1.5 inch steak. My favorite is 1.75.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Buzilo
    Options
  • Buzilo
    Options
  • Buzilo
    Options
    Is the plate setter necessary or can I just use one side of the egg to pile up the charcoal?
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Some sort of heat deflector will help, but I think the PS seems a little unwieldy. I'd use a pizza stone if you have it. I like to Reverse sear using a 'raised, indirect' method, then drop as close to the fire as possible for the sear. I don't think I've ever seared anything for 60 seconds, but I let the egg go nuclear (fully open the bottom vent and remove the DFMT for a couple minutes) before I sear. If there are blue flames shooting out of the top you're ready! Be VERY careful opening the lid if you choose to go nuclear like that, and check your dome themo afterwards if it circles the dial.

Good luck and have fun!

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Write "I will remember to burp the egg" 100 times before you start.