Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Baby in the MiniMax

Options
Made a Dutch baby in the MiniMax this morning for my wife's breakfast. Used a small piece of Apple Wood for smoke. My wife's response is this recipe is a "real keeper" The smoke adds a nice new dimension to the flavor. Enjoy. Dutch Baby 3 tablespoons butter, melted and divided 2 3/8 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1/2 cup 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar, plus extra for serving 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature 2 large eggs, room temperature Lemon wedges Directions Preheat Egg to 375 degrees F, set up for indirect. Place 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into a 10-inch cast iron skillet and place in the Egg. Set the remaining tablespoon of melted butter aside to cool slightly. Wait 10 minutes before assembling the other ingredients. Place the flour, vanilla sugar, salt, milk, eggs and remaining tablespoon of melted butter into the bowl of a food processor or blender and process for 30 seconds. Before pouring batter into the skillet, brush the melted butter in the bottom of the skillet up the sides. Carefully pour the batter into the preheated skillet. Bake in the Egg indirect for 30 minutes or until the edges are puffed and brown. Sprinkle with additional vanilla sugar and serve with lemon wedges.
Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    that looks good never heard of a dutch baby
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Interesting. Looks nothing like the one (and only one) I did. Mine came out like a bowl, which is what the recipe I followed said it should look like. It was delicious, not sure I'd want it smokey though. I did it in the oven.

Recipe I followed... 

What I baked...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Bookmarked! Excellent work =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CincyTiki
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ Mine looked similar when plated. The angle is making it look puffy but was actually bowl like.
    Did not have time to get a plated pic before my wife got to it :)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Gotcha. I was just looking for a low sodium "pancake". Regular pancakes that are low in sodium don't exist, you know. They all have a leavening agent (baking soda, baking powder or both) in them. Lots of sodium. Except these. They aren't particularly healthy, but at least they have no sodium. Another breakfast option.

Also, Irish pancakes look promising, though I haven't tried them. They look pretty good though...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• CincyTiki
    Options
    @Carolina Q
    For a low sodium pancake, give these a try

ShannyCakes
    4 Egg Whites
    1/4C Cottage Cheese
    1/2C dry measure Oatmeal
    Cinnamon - 1tsp or more to taste
    Splenda - 4 packets or to taste
    1 cap of Vanilla Extract
    Place all ingredients into a blender for 20-30 seconds. This makes a very thin watery batter. Preheat a non-stick pan on low to medium low. Spray with cooking spray and pour in the batter. I make 1 large pancake but you can make several smaller ones. The pancake is ready to flip when small bubbles appear on the top of the batter.

These taste good and have excellent protein and fiber.