Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Toyota 4 Runner Owners

Options
2»

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @TheShaytoon‌ the FJ was my first choice until I actually went and looked at one. It looked surprisingly small inside.
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @eggcelsior So the 911 is on the bottom of the list...going to the golf course, would have to take the truck; to the lake,the truck; to pick up lump, take the truck; take the dogs anywhere, take the truck.  That basically leaves the office...take the Porsche.

I've also been looking at the BMW 6 w/ turbo v8, so it gets up and goes and I can take it to the golf course and maybe the lake...

The 4Runner, I can take that everywhere...and even tow with it, but we already have one!  It takes me 6 months to decide on a car.

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    @lit Man, I think the FJ's is pretty roomy...I rarely have the back seats in the upright position, so maybe from that point of view, it is definitely smaller than the 4Runner.  The Front Seats are freaking huge...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

@TheShaytoon‌ don't be silly, get the 911 or a Cayman. Find one through Carmax and get the extended warranty unless you can wrench.
    I looked forever for a 4 door Cayman, never could find one.  It was a unicorn.  So I settled on a 2 door S.  I can wrench, been doing it since I started disassembling kitchen appliances when I was a 6 YO. 
    Options

@eggcelsior So the 911 is on the bottom of the list...going to the golf course, would have to take the truck; to the lake,the truck; to pick up lump, take the truck; take the dogs anywhere, take the truck.  That basically leaves the office...take the Porsche.

I've also been looking at the BMW 6 w/ turbo v8, so it gets up and goes and I can take it to the golf course and maybe the lake...

The 4Runner, I can take that everywhere...and even tow with it, but we already have one!  It takes me 6 months to decide on a car.

Like you said, you already have one. I don't see the point in having two of the same car unless your wife doesn't accompany you.
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    My daughter drives my 1st one (220,000 miles) and my 2008 has 334,000 and still going strong. When the time comes, it will be another 4Runner.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    TCT said:
    My daughter drives my 1st one (220,000 miles) and my 2008 has 334,000 and still going strong. When the time comes, it will be another 4Runner.

Damn that some time in the seat @-)
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @TheShaytoon‌ yes! Back around 94' I had a solid 86' K5 Full Size 2DR with all the toys.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    I was out and about and stopped by a close dealer. Didn't have a trail or any 4x SR5 on the lot. Looked at a SR5 two wheel for the hell of it to check out interior ect. Pretty nice truck but you have to remember I'm in a 17 YO Jeep. Lots of room inside for cargo ect. Bigger vehice than the Jeep GC. Im 6'3 and it coud have had a couple more inches of headroom but Im not average height and it wasnt bad. Didn't drive it since its not the package I want and Im sure it handles a little different. Overall Im interested.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Want a 4-runner bad but with a 100 mile round trip commute I don't see it happening any time soon :(
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I know it's a different vehicle but we have a Highlander. We had a Volvo XC90 and it had all kinds of reliability problems. Nothing but smooth sailing from the Highlander so far.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All vehicles suck except mine.  And I'm waiting on tires, so it sucks too.  Just walk.  It's healthy.
    The mrs. Has a 2013 fj and loves the thing. It is a nice truck and have had zero problems with it and resale is great on it. Another to consider is the 4 door jeep. I just got a 2015 rubicon and love the darn thing again high resale value compared to other makes.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Options
    All vehicles suck except mine.  And I'm waiting on tires, so it sucks too.  Just walk.  It's healthy.

Ive tried to live as debt free as possible the last few years. Believe me its not easy thinking about blowing $35K. The house will be paid off soon and this SUV could last me into retirement. Definately cant keep my current GC going another 15 years. :-??
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    bo31210 said:
    Want a 4-runner bad but with a 100 mile round trip commute I don't see it happening any time soon :(

Yeah that would eat your lunch when fuel goes back up. My wife has a CRV that gets close to 30 MPG around town and we really like it but it will not tow or offroad.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    @Dobie‌ I know and gas will go back up. Presently make the drive in a RAV4 and I can get right at 33 on the highway with it.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    In real life about 17 on the 4Runner (may get a tad better if drive REAL right). That's all I ever got out of them.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I was driving a 4 Dr accord v6 and I have hardly noticed a difference in gas. The accord I was doing about 14 gallons a week and the 4 runner so far around 18.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I'm getting almost 20 mpg in my 2013 4runner. 19.9 actually. Its been quite a game trying to get the computer to click over to 20.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Hahaha. I get 45 mpg with miles of smiles of torque. Diesel FTW.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Yeah that would eat your lunch when fuel goes back up. My wife has a CRV that gets close to 30 MPG around town and we really like it but it will not tow or offroad.
    Yes, it will. Not for very long though :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Baine
    Baine Posts: 19
    Options
    I've driven my 99 since I was sixteen. It was 14K with 50K miles on it. I'm 26 in march and I've put a solid 100,000 miles on it. It's had ZERO issues or failures to date.(155,000). My SO has the '12. It was like 2.5X more expensive and that thing is a tank comparatively. Toyota is mighty proud of the 4runner--as they should be. For the record, she loves hers and so do I--I drive it all the time and it handles our terrible streets like a tank. I recently sustained front and rear collision damage on mine and will buy another 4runner when mine finally dies at half a trillion miles. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Baine said:
    I've driven my 99 since I was sixteen. It was 14K with 50K miles on it. I'm 26 in march and I've put a solid 100,000 miles on it. It's had ZERO issues or failures to date.(155,000). My SO has the '12. It was like 2.5X more expensive and that thing is a tank comparatively. Toyota is mighty proud of the 4runner--as they should be. For the record, she loves hers and so do I--I drive it all the time and it handles our terrible streets like a tank. I recently sustained front and rear collision damage on mine and will buy another 4runner when mine finally dies at half a trillion miles. 

Combed CL for quite some time looking for a 3rd gen, my favorite of the 4Runners, unicorn being a manual with e locker.  Even searched for another unicorn, the 4th Gen V8 4Runner.  Couldn't find a good used one so went with another unicorn, a 4.3L V6 standard cab 94 Chevy Silverado shortbed.  Hooked up and fully loaded, I'm 8920lbs.  Heard of guys on the Yotatech forum pulling crazy loads with the 4 banger in my Tacoma, 8000 plus.  Like someone stated in the original thread.  The 22RE will easily pull it, its the stopping that matters.  And for that reason, I'm glad I skipped over the SUV and went with the full sized truck.  Not that the 4 runner couldn't handle your boat @Dobie.  But you want to be safe.  And IMO safe is 80% of your vehicle's tow capacity.  80% on a 2015, is 3760lbs. Not sure how much of the 5000lbs you request, will be in use.  Gear and passenger weight adds up quickly, keep this in mind. 

I did use my brother's 2004 4Runner to pull my camper home (4000lbs) and it got the job done.  But you definitely knew it was back there, especially on hills.  His 4Runner has been good, but far from perfect.  Transfer case is shot, $3Gs to fix from the dealer.  Back window motor is broken, $500.  Not worth the $$$ to fix at this point.   

IMHO, with the 6K you drive per year, don't rule out one of the smaller  V8s in a Tundra. If you have the boat, hook up and test drive each.  Yeah you loose a little in gas mileage, but gain so much in towing/stopping power going bigger all around.  200 mile round trips a few times per month is significant.  And gas mileage between the two (V6 vs V8) when pulling is minimal.  FWIW, when the Vortec 4.3L goes out in my Silverado, it will get a crate 350, no doubt.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."