Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"El Diablo" rack of pork

Options

Inspired by Cen-Tex a while back. He mentioned a pork butt larded with jalapenos and garlic cloves , and its been on my list for too long.

Started by firing up the LBGE and roasting sweet potatoes for the side. After they were done, mashed with salt, pepper, butter, lime juice, and honey. image

Rack of pork from Costco. Larded with garlic. Seasoned with DP Fajita-ish, onion powder, jalapeno powder, and a secondary rub of cumin, salt, and cayenne. Dressed with sliced jalapeno and habanero from the garden. Raised direct, 350ish. Pecan wood for smoke. About 30mins in :

Pulled it when IT was about 150 in the middle and FTC for ~30mins. I think one of the ends was higher at about 170. Should have paid closer attention.

Turned out nice and juicy. Served with the sweet tater mash, the jus from the the foil pack,  hot cranberry jelly, and baby bok choy cooked indoors by SWMBO. The flavors were wonderful - heat from the chiles, warmth from the cumin, good dose of garlic, and DP Fajita-ish. I sopped up the juices on my plate and the cutting board with a couple of Hawaiian rolls, and could have made a meal of just that. The plated shot doesn't do it justice, since I was in a hurry by then.

The finale was espresso gingerbread mini bundt cakes baked by SWMBO :)

Oh, I forgot to mention that this cook was facilitated by:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The devil is in the details. Looks like ya naked it!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Very nice cook. Way to go. :-bd
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That looks great - I may have to try that with a chop, no way I'd get away with that much heat with the rest of the Fam.
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    That looks freaking amazing - I will steal this and try it out too! How much heat was there? And would you mind elaborating on how much garlic was larded?
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Chelnerul said:
    That looks freaking amazing - I will steal this and try it out too! How much heat was there? And would you mind elaborating on how much garlic was larded?
    Hard for me to say how much heat there was - I like spicy food, but not the kind that sears your taste buds. The heat wasn't the first favor to hit you, and that's the way I wanted it. I larded with about a dozen cloves of garlic - 3-4 from each end, and in the middle.I would have liked to add some other Mexican chile powders, but I was feeling a little lazy, so just reached for the Fajita-ish.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    That looks fantastic!   :-bd

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Now my screen's covered in saliva, nice work.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    That's a nice fighting chicken, Cal.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Wow!!! An amazing cook and great pics! That hooch isn't too bad either; will facilitate most things except for driving and work related emails LOL
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks good from here.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Looking good Cali!

Have never acquired a taste for bokchoy. Any thing special about preparing these?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    Yessir!! Money! That sounds and looks unbelievable!
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    caliking said:
    Chelnerul said:
    Hard for me to say how much heat there was - I like spicy food, but not the kind that sears your taste buds. The heat wasn't the first favor to hit you, and that's the way I wanted it. I larded with about a dozen cloves of garlic - 3-4 from each end, and in the middle.I would have liked to add some other Mexican chile powders, but I was feeling a little lazy, so just reached for the Fajita-ish.
    I've never larded with garlic, but both my wife and I love the stuff - how is it done? Sorry for the n00b question...

Love the Fajita-ish as well.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    That's a great idea for a rack of pork. Best part if this is how many times you said larded! =D>
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice Cali! Looks really good

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    That looks great man. I need to try sweet potatoes like that. I love them but never cook them.

XLBGE 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Truly an amazing meal! 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I really like this!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Options
    That's a nice fighting chicken, Cal.
    Its good stuff. Irish whiskey is the happy intersection of bourbon and scotch IMO. I also picked up their 15, but haven't cracked it open yet.  

• caliking
    Options
    hapster said:
    Wow!!! An amazing cook and great pics! That hooch isn't too bad either; will facilitate most things except for driving and work related emails LOL
    Depends on what you want to say to your boss :D

• caliking
    Options

@Aviator: bok choy= lettuce that wanted to be born as cabbage. Very simple to prepare, 10mins tops. Usually toss with a little sesame oil and seasoning of choice (even just salt and cayenne are good). SWMBO usually sautés for a few minutes then covers and lets it steam while the table is being set. You can also grill them. In regular rotation over here.

@Chelnerul - I stuck a 3" paring knife in from each end, about 3 stabs, lengthwise. Then pushed a clove of garlic into each slit. I made the slits lengthwise (parallel to the rack) because I wanted a cross-section slice of garlic in each chop.

@yzzi - I try, man. I try :)

• caliking
    Options
    That looks great man. I need to try sweet potatoes like that. I love them but never cook them.
    This was one of the better sweet potato sides I've made. The lime and honey went very well with this. I have grilled wedges or slices in the past and they were good, but not outstanding.

• Chelnerul
    Options
    caliking said:

@Chelnerul - I stuck a 3" paring knife in from each end, about 3 stabs, lengthwise. Then pushed a clove of garlic into each slit. I made the slits lengthwise (parallel to the rack) because I wanted a cross-section slice of garlic in each chop.

Thank you
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Cali cooks nekkid?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use a knife steel as a larding iron on larger cuts. Also, it helps to freeze the stuff you are larding in there and remember to always use plenty of lube (olive oil, ya perv). If you use a knife steel, make sure to clean it off real good so you don't get tiny bits of steel shavings in your food. You can do cheese, garlic, jalapeños, asparagus, carrots. Really anything you think might sound good.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    Cool - hadn't thought  / heard of this before (I'm new, okay?)...the knife steel gives a large enough channel to shove in garlic, jalapenos, and cheese? Intriguing...
  • caliking
    Options

Cali cooks nekkid?

Only if the neighbors have pissed me off.

• caliking
    Options
    Do it the way CT said to. I forgot the lube part. Had to use my fingers to get it in there.

Now I feel dirty...

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Oh wow that looks good! I did a couple of those pork racks today as well, but went a completely different direction. Again, the plating is spectacular. =D>
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    Options
    @DMW - I have another rack in the fridge, but I think I'll get some more so they can keep each other company in the freezer. No more racks at Costco after the holidays :(