Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woe is Me! Maybe I should change to Dr. Crow!

Dr. Chicken
Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a week! It started out ok, except for a few hassles at work! But, what can you expect for 3rd shift and all this heat? (103 to 110 degrees for the past two weeks!)[p]We were/are looking forward to a holiday weekend visit of "Chicken Hawk" and "Chicken Little" along with the grandkids! (If you hadn't noticed or figured it out by now or from C~W's & GFW's post.."Chicken Hawk" is our son-in-law and "Chicken Little" is our youngest daughter!) Anyway I'm getting hyped up and planning all sorts of goodies for the weekend, when I get this e-mail asking; "Daddy, does GFW have (I can't believe I'm saying this!) sweet potatoes with every meal?" How should I know??? Nobody can have that sense of 'self destruction! Can they???[p]Anyway, it seems our youngest daughter is looking for new veggies or a least a better variety of veggies for the grandkids! Good girl! Teach 'em young, and they'll love their veggies all their life! But, wait a minute! Why should I worry about the dreaded "sweet potatoes"? Then the next question hits home! Like a stab to the heart!!! :-( "Daddy, is it very hard to cook sweet potatoes on the Egg?" At this point in time, I asked my son-in-law to see if he could tap a little sense into her head, maybe with a 4X4! Maybe we could claim temporary insanity for her??? After a few more questions and replies, I broke down (believe me this hurt!!!) and e-mailed GFW for some guidance on Egging the (Yuk!) dreaded sweet potatoes! (I really thunk, we brought her up better than this!!!) [p]Why me? I didn't deserve this???[p]Seems as how the grandkids don't like carrots! And they really didn't care for the squash either! Both are excellent for vitamin "A" and other minerals! Good Momma! Looking out fer the little ones! Anyway she tried the (this is gona kill me yet!) sweet potatoes, and the kids loved them! Now, along with all the other goodies for the weekend, it appears I will be cooking sweet potatoes on the Egg! (sorry about that Eggs!) GFW responded quite decently (no "I told you so!" or chuckles between the answers) to my questions. Now, along with the other goodies, steaks 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" thick, pulled pork, fish, shrimp, double smoked ham and maybe even a brisket or a London Broil (complements of GFW again), I will be cooking some sweet potatoes! (Never, I mean never thought I'd be saying this!)[p]Take heed those of you with a feint heart though! This does not mean I have "converted"! It just means I'm gona try something for my daughter and grandkids! I mean, what else can I do? C~W, I can see you in the background thinkin' you've lost another one! Don't give up hope yet! I've cooked squash for the boys up at the deer shack for years, and I still don't like 'em! (the squash that is!)[p]Anyway, forgive my long post, but I figured I'd best bring it up, before someone else does! I am not "converting"! I'm just gona try 'em! That's all![p]
I will keep you all posted, and I will give them an honest shot! Really I will! :-))))[p]
Cheers,[p]Dr. Chicken.....(not ready for Dr. Crow, yet!) :-))))

Comments

• Dr. Chicken,[p]The Grandkids must have caused you to go and do something that is just not natural. Sweet potatoes on the egg, Oh the agony of it!!!!!!!! You will have to purge your egg of the horrid slop for fear you will have residue of the dreaded stuff. Give the kids a juice box with the vitamin, or risk violating the egg. I personally will handle Chicken Little; she won't put up a fuss (or I'll drag her off by her foot, cause I'm a ChickenHawk)

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    S10_07_9918_00_00.jpg
    <p />Dr. Chicken, just want to make sure that there was a nice picture to accompany your post! Have a great weekend!

• Gfw,
    Thanks Gordon! I'm glad you could see the humor in the whole thing too! I'll let you know how they turn out and the London Broil when we get around to doing it! Keep up the good work![p]Dr. Chicken

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Try doing some regular white or baker potatoes the same way. Not with all of the brown sugar and stuff but cook them the same way with some butter and herbs put in the foil. They work out GREAT. There are some potatoes that we use called Yukon Gold that are nice and soft and golden, they cook a bit faster but have a wonderful flavor, very buttery all by themselves. Just a different way to get those taters done. You can always justify cooking that vile garbage on the egg by saying that you're "doing it for the family". (gotta tell ya' though doc, they are pretty good if you ask me)[p]Troy
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    bbcas21.jpg
    <p />Dr. Chicken,[p]Not sure how you served those sweets but here is how I like them. I wrap them in foil after I scrub them and add a pat of butter in the wrap. This picture is them after comming out of the foil, then split, add butter and some brown sugar and cinnamon. Enjoy
  • sprinter,
    Thanks Troy! My son-in-law has a way with words, doesn't he? :-))) I'll bet C~W is laughin' his tail off on that one! [p]I will try the regular potatoes that way. They sure sound delish![p]Dr. Chicken

• Tim M,
    This will be a first for me Tim! I'm following GFW's recommendations. I think he is the forum's resident expert on sweet potatoes! If he isn't, he sure should be as often as he enjoys them![p]I will honestly give you all an accurate accounting of how they go, and how they taste when I'm done![p]Enjoy the long weekend! I've got one more night to work, before I start my long weekend![p]Dr. Chicken

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Dr. Chicken,[p] Nice post you have going. All i can say is after your
    long weekend with the family, you may have to change
    your name too " Mr Sweet Potatoe Head " Hee Hee[p] Earl

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Dr. Chicken,[p]I think even GFW will admit I talked him into tring them on the BGE wrapped in foil. He obviously does them more than I do though.[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, I confess - when I make my sweet potatoes I follow your original instructions - and in reality, my 3/1/1.5 rib method is a modification og George T's Apple Juice ribs - I guess I just post too many pictures. Have a great Day! [p]Dr. Chicken - try em, you'll like em!

• gimme a break Earl! :-)))[p]Dr. C

• Gfw & Tim M,
    Both of you will have a response sometime this weekend! The way you put them on display GFW, they look appetizing. But.......I am not converted yet!!!! :-))) The proof is in the pudding, as they say! This time it ain't tapioca either! (a little dig for our pal C~W!) :-)))[p]Dr. Chicken