Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier Lump? anygood?

Options
Saw it.bought a bag.pretty cheap..nice looking in the bag...sorry for the noob q's

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    I don't mind it.  I have bought it at BJ's before really cheap.  I like it better than Royal Oak and RO doesn't bother me that much.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Bought some at Ace a few years back, good price and from what I remember worked well.  Went back to get some more and they had quit carring it. 
    I usually get Cowboy at Lowes when on sale for $9.99/ 20# bag rather than 13.99 and I get the 10% military discount on top.  $.45/#  is a great price IMHO.Some do not like Cowboy 'cause it sparks like mesquite but the price is right.  
    Here in Florida this past summer, I was in Wally World and they were practically were giving 8 kilo bags Royal Oak for such a ridiculous price that I bought 10 bags. forget the price but great deal.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Lump is a very sensitive subject around here.  If you got a good deal and you don't have any issues with it, then that's all you need.  FWIW I have had some smoking and sparking issues with Frontier but that was a few years ago.  Haven't used it since but do have other choices.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Naked whiz has review on more charcoal than you've ever heard of. I use royal oak because its easily available. I'd like to branch out and use other brands. I've seen frontier but never tried it. Maybe I should
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited December 2014
    Options
    We gonna give it a whirl this eve. Over dirty martinis and gorgonzola stuffed olives and a cocktail onion or two. Gonna do some wings..
    thinking I'D @450 and a wet thai chili coating..
    I'D OR D? LIKE THE SKIN VERY CRISPY.

• AUCE
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Lump is a very sensitive subject around here.  If you got a good deal and you don't have any issues with it, then that's all you need.  FWIW I have had some smoking and sparking issues with Frontier but that was a few years ago.  Haven't used it since but do have other choices.

I've noticed....geographic locale seems to be a driving factor. Like rubs and sauces. ..
    I'm leaning towards buying a pallet of humphries..gonna order a couple bags first. Give it a spin.
    I'll be speaking with my locale BGE dealer and if it's a good lump propose that I'll turn him on to it as a second brand only if I can buy at cost... :D

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Frontier is the only lump available around here besides BGE's; I'm just finishing my first bag and will be going back to the BGE.  The Frontier had good-sized chunks, but I saw a lot of pieces that were more wood than lump, hadn't been heated enough.  
    Good price, though!  
    :-S

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited December 2014
    Options

We bought our first bag of Frontier a couple of weeks ago and have used it twice.  Barring an epic going-out-of-business level sale, it will likely be our last.

It cost more than our usual ROak, but it was a chance to experiment.  I just didn't like the smoke and the frequent sparking was off-putting.  I don't know what damage, if any, sparking does to food quality/taste.  I just don't like it.

Also, we get larger lumps with red bag RO than those in that [single] bag of Frontier.

Maybe we got a bad bag and others are better - I dunno.  Unless there's a killer sale, we'll never find out.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Rural King has it on sale pretty cheap from time to time. I've used it and it was OK.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• AUCE
    Options
    So far so good. Coming up to temp of 400.
    Clean burn. Little sparky at first but settled down at 300.

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    I would not buy it again, it's okay but you really have to let it burn in. I am now a big rockwood fan
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    It may be fine... Try some Rockwood and Ozark Oak when you get a chance....they really are good.
  • AUCE
    Options
    Did "ok"...won't be buying again....

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited December 2014
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Did "ok"...won't be buying again....

That's okay.  At least you tried it and now you know.  You won't have to take anyone else' word for it.

Experimenting is half the fun of this Egging thing.

;;)

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I used a few bags one time.  Great price from Sam's Club.  A little aggressive with smoke flavor, but it wasn't bad really.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I think its OK, too many small pieces, and it costs more than the RO.  I would use it again, but I wont go out of m way for it.  
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • AUCE
    Options
    doing a 3 way split on a pallet of Humphries..5-40# each - 200 #'s for 170.00