Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The baking steel was busy tonight! And pics to prove it.

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
Tonight we had our friends over for some more of the 28 day dry aged prime ribeyes. First we heated up the baking steel to a good 425 while we made some potatoes au gratin. image

Next we got the steaks paired up with some salt and pepper and let them sit to get to room temperature. image

As the steaks good we flash seared some asparagus and gave a good char. image

And we needed a little garlic bread to wash everything down so that went on the steel as well. imageimage

I've really come to love this hunk of metal. It gives such a nice crust to everything. The meal was spot on. There wasn't anything out of place or messed up, contrary to me over cooking the steaks last go round. Here's a final played shot. image
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Gawdd look at the marbling...VERY NICE SPREAD

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• yzzi
    Options
    Thanks @auce, I enjoyed my dinner tonight :P
    Dunedin, FL
  • AUCE
    Options
    Where did those steaks come from? Prettiest ribs I've seen in a loooong time.

• AUCE
    Options
    That's prime+ meat..not very common

• yzzi
    Options
    I got a whole prime ribeye at Costco and aged it for 28 days.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Damn. That meat looked phenomenal before it even hit the steel.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yzzi
    Options
    caliking said:

Thanks @caliking‌. If only beef sushi were a thing.
    Dunedin, FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks delicious.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    yzzi said:

caliking said:

Thanks @caliking‌. If only beef sushi were a thing.
    The way I like it, it's nearly sashimi. Is probably try a slice of that bad boy cold. Great cook.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Great meal to look at! Now that I've seen it I don't have to make my own.

How do you clean off the baking steel?
    Judy in San Diego
  • yzzi
    Options
    Thanks everyone. @Judy Mayberry‌ I usually just use a paper towel to wipe down. I'll scrape bits off with a spatula as needed.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks good enough to eat raw. Love the marbling. Finished plate is even better. :-bd
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! I want that steak for breakfast right now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Fantastic looking steaks and a great plated shot..I would devour that.... =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • AUCE
    Options
    yzzi said:

I got a whole prime ribeye at Costco and aged it for 28 days.

Wow..they label it prime?

• yzzi
    Options
    Yeah they usually have a good selection of prime ribeyes, NY strip, sirloin, and tenderloins.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jcaspary
    Options
    Somewhat OT but how do you like the baking steel. Looks like it's worth it. Thoughts?
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • yzzi
    Options
    I really like it. When I first got it I didn't use it but a few times and left it in my grill cabinet and it got all rusty. I soaked the whole thing in diluted vinegar and got it back to new and now I make sure to store it indoors and well oiled. I've been using it a lot more now. I love it for searing steaks, burgers, pancakes and bacon or sausage. I like doing steak fries on there as they crisp up very well. Last night was the first time I did asparagus like that and it worked very well. Pizza I don't do often and have yet to get a pizza that's cooked on top without burning the crust. Honestly, I'm not much into doing pizzas. I would definitely recommend the steel, just know that you'll have to care for it well to keep it from rusting out. It seems like I end up burning off most of seasoning on the bottom side every time I use it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Somewhat OT but how do you like the baking steel. Looks like it's worth it. Thoughts?
    I like mine, though I would never spend that kind of cash for one. I picked one up from a steel dealer (surplus, cut offs) for $1 per lb. Cost me $14. Was going to cut it down to fit my egg, but it fits my oven or my Weber perfectly as is so I never did. I have a spare Weber grid with handles so I just leave the steel on that and lug it between my oven (pizza) and kettle (flat top). Limited pizza experience with it, but it seems promising.

I still want to get a couple of smaller pieces for my large and mini, but the steel store is about 40 miles away in a direction I rarely go. One of these days...

My original post is here.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    That is some beautiful hunk o' meat.  Love the marbling.  I bet it tasted as good as it looked.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • yzzi
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ I was fortunate to have won my steel from the obr raffle. I admit it's a bit pricey, especially with you getting yours as cheap as you did, so I recommend folks getting a piece of steel from whatever source they can because it's a really nice way to cook on the egg! I love using cast iron, especially for steaks, but when I have 4 or more to make which is most of the time, the steel is perfect.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Carolina Q
    edited December 2014
    Options
    yzzi said:
    @Carolina Q‌ I was fortunate to have won my steel from the obr raffle. I admit it's a bit pricey, especially with you getting yours as cheap as you did, so I recommend folks getting a piece of steel from whatever source they can because it's a really nice way to cook on the egg! I love using cast iron, especially for steaks, but when I have 4 or more to make which is most of the time, the steel is perfect.

Didn't mean it to sound like that. It's just that when I first saw Andris' steel and read about his prototype (from the scrap pile at the steel company where he works) and saw how much he was charging, I knew that the only way I would ever own one would be to do what he did. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yzzi
    Options
    Nah, I didn't take it that way. I don't want to bash the price as I received mine for free. If I didn't get it that way, I'd probably visit a metal shop myself.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jcaspary
    Options
    If someone were to go to a metal shop what would you ask for?  How do you find one in the first place?
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    If someone were to go to a metal shop what would you ask for?  How do you find one in the first place?

A36 steel plate. 1/4" thick. Google Steel Strongsville oh.

This is what I found here. $1/lb for any steel. $5 for aluminum or SS.

I didn't ask them to cut it, but they probably would have, for a price.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jcaspary
    Options
    @Carolina Q‌ thanks man. Appreciate it.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    When I checked locally, they wanted $250 out the door. That made Andris' steel a steal.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    When I checked locally, they wanted $250 out the door. That made Andris' steel a steal.
    $250?!! Does that include an egg?! :)

You live around DC don't you? That might explain it.  

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm an hour north of DC. No scrap so they were cutting virgin steel. Labor was 150. The full piece of steel was 100. I've never done anything with steel so I didn't know if I was getting ripped off or not.
  • yzzi
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ I think you're just paying Union fees.
    Dunedin, FL