Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tea Smoke?

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was reading the current issue of Cook's Illustrated, and in their article on "oven smoked ribs", they talked about using lapsang souchong tea leaves for smoke. Anybody have any experience using tea leaves for flavor "wood"?[p](The article was interesting, once I got past the concept of trying to smoke anything in the oven... Obviously the people aren't Eggers-they claim it gets too cold to smoke outside.)[p]TIA
Ken

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    never seen it until today, looking for info on wok sizes verse btu's of burner. never found what i was looking for, but seen smoking tealeaves is a wok thing

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Well, I've been burning some birch and it has a most decidedly tea-like smelling smoke, so I say it makes sense....[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    BlueSmoke,[p]I've never tea-smoked anything (IN) my Egg...but I have done it (IN) my Wok...on my Small Egg!![p]Ming Tsai is a big proponent of this Chinese method.[p]I saw him tea-smoke a duck a few years back on his show...and I was hooked!![p]It's easy...and damm near fool proof....(which is good for me)!![p]Here's an article I saved a few years back that's full of [p]good info too!![p]HTH!![p]Evans
    [ul][li]Tea-Smoking[/ul]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Hey Ken. I've heard of this technique and I believe I have a Chinese recipe book that talks about tea smoked duck. I've always thought to myself, "I'm going to have to try that one someday!" I happen to have a duck in the freezer and am willing to give it a shot. Will pick up some loose leaf tea tomorrow and give it a try and report back. I can kinda envision how it will look/taste but never really know til I make it happen.
    Let me get that book out and make sure I have everything.
    Qfan

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BlueSmoke, being a rather frugal soul, I wonder if I can just save my used tea leaves for this purpose? Right now I get two cups out of each spoonful so if I can get a third use, I'll just be giddy.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Wise One,
    Dang! And I thought I was the only one who squeaked when he walked! -grin- Sounds like a good experiment.[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke,
    And if you recycle your egg shells and coffee grounds the garden will prosper.

• Citizen Q
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I've used tea both for smoke and in rubs, it's good stuff. Black tea and orange pekoe for smoke, green tea in the rub. Ming Tsai has another show on tea smoking coming up soon if your PBS station carries it.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

[ul][li]Simply Ming [/ul]
  • Charles in SC
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I do not see any reason tea would not work. I have used coffee grounds with pork butt before and it was pretty good. I know people who use all kinds of herbs in their fire. Something else kind of interesting to use is muscadine vines.