Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Day appetizer ideas?

Eschewing traditional Christmas day meal this year in favor of a bunch of finger foods and appetizers. Aside from pig shots and ABT's what are some ways to let the egg shine?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Bacon wrapped tots. And according to some around here, if you top them with cheese it adds another level of awesomeness. I haven't had the chance to try the cheese as of yet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Pulled pork egg rolls, Mexican panty droppers, stuffed pickles, olives, dates or artichoke hearts wrapped in bacon.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I will heartedly endorse @henapple's Mexican panty droppers and the drilled out stuffed pickles.  Just measure the pickle and drill bit diameters so you don't get a " blow-out".  He can provide the details but both are winners! YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 with @DMW on bacon wrapped tots.  And if you can find them, bacon wrapped sweet potato tots brushed with maple sugar are great as well.

Pig candy

Pizza bites (Store bought dough wrapped around a slice a pepperoni and a slice of string cheese) Sauce for dipping.

Nutella bites - Puff pastry spread with nutella and a banana slice, wrapped and Egged.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Still love Moink balls.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • I got this recipe from a guy who was a sous chef in the Nixon white house. Very simple but incredibly good. Get some pitted dates and stuff them with slivers of water chestnut, then wrap the date in bacon and hold it together with a tooth pick. The sugar from the date makes a glaze for the bacon as it cooks. The water chestnut stuffing provides just the right crunch.  When the bacon is done they are good to go. Only problem is to keep from burning your lips because you will be eating these things right off the grill. I make them most every Christmas, alongside what ever I am cooking for the main dish. If I don't cook them the family starts to complain. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    @keepervodeflame, those sound delicious!

One of my favorite Xmas fingerfoods are candied almonds/walnuts, bet they would be great with a kiss of smoke.  Likewise, has anyone ever made Chex Mix on the Egg?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Wow, these are awesome!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Just so everyone's on the same page here;  THIS is the link to the other appetizer thread. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    @henapple‌ I'll bite, what are Mexican panty droppers
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited December 2014
    Jalapeño stuffed with chocolate and cherries, wrapped in bacon.
    @jcaspary‌
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Thanks to @Cen-Texmade this last year for Christmas:

Did an awesome appetizer a while back.  Smoked duck, cooled and cubed, on toast points with fig jam, some type of cheese (forget what kind exactly, but it was a creamy goat cheese i think) and a thin slice of jalapano.  It was excellent.

Pretty sure i got the recipe from someone on here.

That was me. It's smoked duck with Brie and fig jam with jalapeño on top. Freaking awesome.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot

Did an awesome appetizer a while back.  Smoked duck, cooled and cubed, on toast points with fig jam, some type of cheese (forget what kind exactly, but it was a creamy goat cheese i think) and a thin slice of jalapano.  It was excellent.

That was me. It's smoked duck with Brie and fig jam with jalapeño on top. Freaking awesome.

Sounds awesome. I assume you used duck breast?
  • Last Christmas party we had.....we had prep-ed bacon wrapped tots. 

One of my guests accidentally ate one raw before we took them out to the Eggs. He said he felt like he swallowed a golf ball. LMBO. 

Needless to say, they are a staple at our Holiday parties now. 
    XL, Large, Mini-Max in Texas - Big Green Egg Competition Team 

Sounds awesome. I assume you used duck breast?
    Yes.  I bought a pack at whole paycheck and smoked them.  If you do this, make sure you save the rendered duck fat.  Thats money right their.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Chips and salsa?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    I like bacon wrapped water chestnuts.  They are really good.

LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Fill the largest sheet pan you can fit on the egg with clams, a glug of white wine, a 1/2 glug of evoo, too much garlic, juice of 1/2 lemon, plus rough chopped thick cut bacon, pancetta or soppressata. Add a pinch or more of red pepper flakes.  

Fire it til the clams open.  Add some curly parsley Serve in a wide bowl on a platter with ripped up crusty bread.  Have a spare bowl handy for the empty shells.  Don't count on leftovers.

(Be sure to clean the clams first by letting them sit in a bowl of fresh water and cornmeal.  Change the water every so often.  Easy peasy.)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    @NibbleMeThis‌ 's Sea Turtle Eggs are always a crowd pleaser.