Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Thermometer Issue

Setting up for cooking a couple butts, and I'm pretty sure I have a shot dome thermometer. First, it was in the low 30s outside and I noticed that the domer read about 75. So, I went to calibrate, and as you would expect, it was off significantly. But it was about 50 degrees too cool even though it read too warm outside. I've got it on the Egg now, but it's reading a fairly consistent 300 degrees when I do things that would normally cause big swings, like open the dome, put a plate setter in, add meat, etc. So, unless someone has any thoughts on ways to get her unstuck, I'm pretty sure she's shot. The Egg is a lttle over 2 years. Would this be a warranty item?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    You've had the egg two years. You know your settings so I'd trust them before that dome thermo. I would just test in boiling water like you did before. This time put in water than leave on counter then repeat to see if it keeps swinging up and down
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Thanks, @grege345. Just tried that. She's a goner.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Dang-first time I've heard of the Tel-Tru thermos totally failing.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bodski
    edited December 2014
    It's definitely dead. Holding steady at 310 whether the lid is open or closed. No wonder I've had such impeccable temp control :).

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Yes it sounds like your thermometer is DOA! Speaking of thermometers just yesterday I received this new 3" model from SmokeWare. Haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet but will later. Sure is easy to read without needing to slip on my "age cheaters"! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bodski
    Thanks, @RRP, I'm definitely in the market. I'll check it out.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Gasket and dome thermo are one year warranty. 
    If you do a clean burn or super high temp direct cook, remove it. It is always nice to watch them spin around past 800ºF, but it will shorten their life, IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!