Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New large BGE thermo anyone have? Reviews?

Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
I really want to get the new larger XXL thermo for my xl since the factory one looks silly but the $60 is alot. They gave me a 15% off accessories card at Roswell hardware when I bought the MM but $45 is still alot. Anyone have this and what do you think of it? Is it worth it or just stick with the original?

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    I've looked at it a couple of times, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet either. I hope someone who owns one will chime in, and tell us why we HAVE to have it.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Lit
    Yeah I hope they do soon. I have to drive right by Roswell Hardware in a couple hours.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    You'll probably drive right by the store then when I mention that 15% off $60 yields $51 and not $45 ... or they gave you a 25% off card ... in which case I'm jealous as hell.

Sorry, cooking comes hard, but numbers come easy.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    @Jeepster47‌ I was on my first cup of coffee and plus $45 sounds better. I'm sticking with $45 and not looking at the receipt.
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    =))
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

If it's a Tel-Tru like the others, then I would say its worth "$45", especially with it being Christmas and all that :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    @Lit ... what is the diameter of the dial on the larger BGE thermometer?  The "normal" dial is 2" in diameter.

Have you seen the Smokeware thermometer?  It's has a 3" diameter dial and is much cheaper at $25.95.  Don't know anything about it, nor have I seen it.  Anybody have any input?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Lit
    Think the BGE one is 3" as well. Just let the wife know we had another stop on our trip to drop her mom off at the airport. Got a bottle of champagne for tonight and she hasn't had a drink in 10 plus months so I'm pretty sure I could have the backwoods smoker I want show up at the front door and she still would be happy.
  • caliking
    Then forget the thermo. Get another bottle of champagne. And the Backwoods :D

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited December 2014
    @Lit ... what is the diameter of the dial on the larger BGE thermometer?  The "normal" dial is 2" in diameter.

Have you seen the Smokeware thermometer?  It's has a 3" diameter dial and is much cheaper at $25.95.  Don't know anything about it, nor have I seen it.  Anybody have any input?

Will be testing the Smokeware thermo next week. Will post review. John

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

Tom, mine just arrived yesterday - Haven't had  a chance to play with it yet, but at 3" it is easy to read that's for sure!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I picked one up at Dizzyfest to replace the older BGE brand thermo on my XL. I've only used it a few times, but really like I like that it is very visible from a good distance away.
  • I have the oversized thermometers on all my Eggs, they are made by Thermoworks.  

Reliable equipment IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    I have the oversized thermometers on all my Eggs, they are made by Thermoworks.  

Reliable equipment IMO.
    The new BGE oversized thermo's are made by Thermoworks? Hmmmm. Next time I have a coupon from my dealer, I may go looking for one.

• Not sure about yours, but mine is made by tel-tru.
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700

@Anyone:

Is there an appreciable qualitative difference between the BGE thermothingy and the Smokeware thermothingy?

I ask because I no longer have confidence in my original BGE gauge (long story) and need to replace it by mid/end of week.

TIA, @Anybody

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

@Anyone:

Is there an appreciable qualitative difference between the BGE thermothingy and the Smokeware thermothingy?

I ask because I no longer have confidence in my original BGE gauge (long story) and need to replace it by mid/end of week.

TIA, @Anybody

why not just go directly to ThermoWorks? Who cares if it has a BGE logo? I replaced my 3 thermometers years ago before BGE woke up and started buying theirs from ThermoWorks! Back then they only ran $19 each.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I installed the Smokeware on my mini tonight before I cooked my chicken kabobs. It was calibrated correctly out of the box. Shorter probe and and larger dial for sure. Will post images tomorrow. The larger dial is bit close for the cap on the mini but it will fit. Should be no issue on larger BGE's. My thermoworks thermometer inserted the same distance agreed with the Smokeware temps.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • caliking said:
    I have the oversized thermometers on all my Eggs, they are made by Thermoworks.  

Reliable equipment IMO.
    The new BGE oversized thermo's are made by Thermoworks? Hmmmm. Next time I have a coupon from my dealer, I may go looking for one.
    No, sorry...I meant to say Tel-Tru.  Another quality manufacturer. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I have one of the new large ones. Made by Tel-Tru, 3" diameter and same temperature range as the smaller ones. Same functionality but easier to read.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.