Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, let's start this weekend already

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Tomorrow night is our annual Christmas party we host for some of our friends. It's a once a year, leave the kids at home and hang out like we were 20 again type of event. We'll have a total of 12 counting us.

So,  I worked from my cell phone and headset for a portion of this afternoon and did these:

I did use the oven for this... if I hadn't been working today and had time, ok I'll stop making excuses, it was just easier.

And then I roasted the almonds I cold smoked 2 weeks ago.

And then we went to my little guy's first ever school Christmas concert. He was pretty excited about it, but I don't think he really knew what to expect once he got up in front of everyone. He's the one in the glasses.

Enjoyed that thoroughly, I hope the pictures can help me remember these moments 20 years from now. Heck, I'll need the pictures to help me remember 5 years from now...

Got home and cleaned up the mess that I left in the kitchen. Then I found this thing in the basement fridge:

Well, I was going to mix up a marinade of A1 and Sweet Baby Ray's, but I didn't have time for a marinade... What to do... I gave it a light trim and gave it a nice coat of S&P.

Back in the fridge for now. It doesn't need to go on for a bit, but I wanted to prep it awhile since I don't want to do it later.

I started the XL, I think he was angry and feeling crowded from other alternative cooking means being utilized around here.

And it is now rock steady at 250*.

All dishes are washed, brisket is still chillin in the fridge, and I'm posting this. And drinking beverages. And have heaps to do tomorrow to prep. But it's still too early to put the brisket on the egg... So I wait, and post...

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dude looks as excited as his peeps. Those are good times. Good dad for documenting. Sounds like a fun time coming up, but I for one don't recover like I did some twenty something years ago...
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Nice
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Lets get that brisket party started!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Now that's a great day! The pies look delicious but I'd still hold out for some brisket. You've got great little dude there. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Every time I cook on the Egg I get a audience of our 4 legged kids. They know when dad cooks on that thing outside they get good tasting treats.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Gonna be a good day indeed
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @DMW-I was wondering when you were gonna pull the trigger on the second SRF from your two pack buy.  Your guests have no idea how good they will have it.  Better to be lucky than good any day.  Enjoy the festivities.  BTW-those pies look great.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Should be a fun day. Good luck!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    DMW said:
    ... He's the one in the glasses.

Looks like you just told him he was staying home with the babysitter while you guys were going partying!!!  Neat pic.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    This going to be good! Im afraid of SRF, thinking it might be like crack and I get hooked into a costly habit.
    Jacksonville FL
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I'm with you @Dobie. I'm scared to try one as I don't want to be disappointed in every non-SRF brisket after that. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks guys, we have the basement all setup. I think this is a new record for us, having the logistics finished by 10:00AM. Now just need to make a run to the store for a few additional last minute things and then finish the final few dishes.

Brisket is now at 172*, sat at 160* for quite awhile.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I like what I'm seeing thus far my friend. Standing by for the finale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks like an awesome time shaping up... That pic of your son is priceless
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    ... He's the one in the glasses.

Looks like you just told him he was staying home with the babysitter while you guys were going partying!!!  Neat pic.
    Brother D, that little fellow looks like he is wondering "what internal is that SRF brisket at"

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's the perfect way to kick the weekend off! Sounds like a blast! SRF getting there?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    Options
    That's the perfect way to kick the weekend off! Sounds like a blast! SRF getting there?
    It's getting there, IT is 187. Egg temp started to drop a bit, even with a temp controller. Clogged fire grate. A wire coat hanger and a bit of work and it has recovered. I caught it before it went out or dropped below cooking temps. I'm running sans controller now...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    You're approaching the probing stage here pretty soon already so running w/out pit controller is a non issue at this point. I'll keep an eye out for the brisket candy. Big finish Dwayne B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options

You're approaching the probing stage here pretty soon already so running w/out pit controller is a non issue at this point. I'll keep an eye out for the brisket candy. Big finish Dwayne B-)

Yeah, no need for it anymore. Once brisky comes out, sides and apps go in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    Decided to check it. It's almost there, just a few tight spots left.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like that brisket. I want to eat it.
    Options
    SGH said:
    Brother D, that little fellow looks like he is wondering "what internal is that SRF brisket at"
    @SGH ... Maybe he is thinking about the brisket ... but, he's probably thinking; "why is he doing it that way, that's not how I'd do it!"

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Could you please set geotags to visible ;)
    I figure I've got enough buffer in travel during the rest :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL Catch the next flight to PHL or MDT and I'll send you directions.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    DMW said:

@NPHuskerFL Catch the next flight to PHL or MDT and I'll send you directions.

I'll have my pilot fire up the Husker Gulfstream
    >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Do Bronco fans drive Broncos?  Jump in the Bronco and drive like ya stole it.
    Options
    I'd do it in a heartbeat if I could. Believe that! I'd bring the Yuengling. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Options
    It's off and FTCd. I could say I didn't sample some fat that stuck to the grid, but that would be a lie. :D
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother D =D> Enjoy sir.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Mouth watering. True story
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos