Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Options
What's up guys? My name is Tony, and my user name is Noob Zero, that's because the only thing I have ever cooked in my life is hamburgers and hotdogs. On the stove!! I've always had a cook, either my Mom, then my wife. I'd heard about the BGE through my interest in bass fishing. One of the pro anglers was sponsored by BGE for years, but I never really cared about the product. Over time, I kept hearing about how good the food was after being cooked on the units. And for some strange reason, it finally hit me, I think I would enjoy eating a higher quality of food!!

So tomorrow, I'm making the investment, going to get a large BGE!! Hope to be cooking by Sunday! I've been lurking and reading the forum all week, up to about 40 pages so far, and something intrigues me that I hope someone will answer. And that is starting out with mayo or mustard on ribs. The added fat from mayo does not appeal to me, and I don't particularly like mustard. Does the mustard taste stay with the meat after cooking? And one more question, why is it important to remove the membrane from ribs, I've never heard of that being done until I started reading the forum. Anyways, thanks for reading my post, and don't let me get on your nerves asking really basic questions, because I am a Noob, with Zero experience! 
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.  Food just got a lot more fun.  On your mayo/mustard question you really don't get much flavor or fat.  What it does is give you a better crust to the food and helps for the rub to adhere to the meat.  On the ribs, I've never removed the membrane but I'm sure others will tell you why to do it.  I'll probably even see a reason on why to do it and will give it a try.

XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Exciting times ahead for sure..Welcome....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    You're about to have a life changing weekend.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  You have found the right place for lots of information and some is even associated with the BGE :)    And given your reading to date, you will see that many roads will get you there.  What follows is a collection of info that may be of use:  

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Just started cooking on XL BGE last weekend. Great investment you can make the best food. I have used it 4 days this week and getting ready to smoke some pork this weekend. Get a plate setter and a pizza stone you won't regret it. Happy cooking
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Egging is an expensive 'hobby' ... get your credit card ready ... oh, WELCOME!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome, your life will never be the same! I have never tried the mayo yet but the mustard cooks off and no you won't taste it guys use it as a binder to hold the rub on the meat while it is smoking but it is not necessary. I take the membrane off because it doesn't look like something I want to eat.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Welcome. I use mustard as a binder and can't taste it afterward. You're not gonna get on anyone's nerves asking questions here. In fact, you can get answers just about 24/7. We were all newbs once and we all learn from each other. I'll leave the membrane question to one of thre vets.
  • Chetscapes
    Options
    Yep you guys helped me last weekend with first butt
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm sure you will love your egg, I know I sure do.  I like a mustard rub on my ribs, a I much like you don't care for mustard that much.  I think it helps keep the ribs moist and does help with the bark.  I remove the membrane, it just makes the eating experience more pleasant in my experience.  The membrane is tough and a little stringy, and it only take s 30 seconds to remove it.  I use a pair of pliers that I keep in the kitchen.

I have never used mayo, and I likely never will, as that idea just does not appeal to me.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Welcome. The mustard is used to keep your rub on the meat better and no you will not taste the mustard when cooked. Removing the membrane I'd done as when it's cooked just don't have the best flavor so just remove it. Pretty easy.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome! There's a wealth of knowledge and smack talk available right here my friend. Cheers.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome! Where are you located? Oh and mayo here all the way.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Welcome Tony! I like your given name ;) 
    They have several of us named "Tony" and all good guys, for the most part. One of them is actually pretty famous here on the forum although some say they "hate" him, You'll figure out who pretty soon.
     Not sure about your screen-name though. Do you really want to be refereed to as @NoobZero - a year from now when you are a seasoned veteran and no longer a noob?
    Makes no difference to me. Just saying.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome to the fun
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome aboard!! You will soon be obsessed with this thing as a whole. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum...just ask if you need anything. Glad to have you with us..Happy Cooking!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!
    Dallas, TX
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the ride. If you don't think you want to use mayo or mustard then don't, leaving it off won't hurt the taste of the food at all. Same thing with the membrane, it works fine either way, although once cooked you probably won't eat the membrane. Good luck, you'll do fine.

EGG ON!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Welcome!
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome, don't use either. slightly wet them with water, not much, then add your rub, it will stick just fine,enjoy and have fun cooking on the egg. Removing the membrane allows the rub to stick to the backside of the rack and make good bark,also easier to bite through. Makes for a better rib all over.
    :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome. This is how I do ribs. Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table. ......,,,,,,,,...,,,,,,, Using a paper towel makes it much easier to pull. imageimageimage They are ready when passing the bend test.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the roller coaster ride.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Welcome to eggdom. Membrane/ silver skin IMO. Mustard gives no flavor that I've noticed.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Life as you know it is about to change.
    Welcome.I too am a BGE noob. Been smoking for years and this method will astound you...Hang onto your wallet...

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the Eggdiction. I haven't read every post, but I didn't see anyone answer you question about why to remove the membrane. The main reason is so your rub will get absorbed in to the meat like the top. Now on mustard, if you choose to use it just use plain yellow mustard not Dijon or flavored mustards. You can also use olive oil or nothing but rub. Like has been said it helps create a crust or bark and you will only taste the rub and meat. You can use the same on ribs, pork butts, and briskets. By the way most everything you have cooked on your range or in the oven will taste better on the egg. The best steaks, burgers, chicken meatloaf and other things are now made me a snob to resteraunts.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome @NoobZero‌. I agree with @TigerTony‌ about the forum handle. I don't think noobzero is a bad name at all though. I know if I could do it all over I'd pick another name. I had no plans to get so involved with the forum. I originally just created an account to get some questions answered. And in the world today, everything requires a username and password. I just used part of my email so that it would be easy to remember and so that I didn't have to spend time trying to create a name. A little over a year into the BGE journey, I find myself on the forum almost daily communicating with some great people. Anyway, just realize that after you post some great threads and get really involved with the forum, a name change is not possible without creating a new identity.

The membrane is easily removed like the pic @Mickey‌ showed. I just take a knife and slide it under the membrane and pry a little away then grab it with a paper towel. The thought behind it is to allow smoke and seasoning to penetrate the meat. Some do it and others don't bother with it.

Your going to get a lot of different opinions on the mustard. Some think that since you can't taste the mustard, it's a waste to use it. Mustard is used by several chefs because it's an emulsifier and helps keep things mixed. Similar to how mayonnaise stays all creamy.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming