Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crackled Glaze on Dome

Options
Porkemon
Porkemon Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

The glaze on my BGE's dome is totally laced with fine cracks, the lower part seems unaffected. I'm guessing that it rained while the dome was hot and things contracted and crackled. After a few days of rain when I fire it up it oozes or sweats water from the dome. Cooking doesn't seem to be affected but I'm curious as to whether this is a normal occurance or a potential problem.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Porkemon,[p]My guess is that it has more to do with high temps than the rain but I speak from eggsperience. My large has them too but its never been a problem and it has oozed but doesn't anymore --- doing a load of ribs in it in 4 hrs so I'll let you know since its not stopped raining in days here. My top has them (not the small only the large)and not the bottom so I suspect heat expansion. It hurts nothing really.[p]Call BGE and ask them about it - its not normal.
    1-888-929-3447
    Tim

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Tim M,[p] Don't know if it's normal or not, but there were a couple people last year with similar complaints. Guess this is one of the times when the archive would be truly useful as this topic doesn't come up repeatedly like some others . . .). My small seems to have a different glaze than my large and it has lots of the little cracks. It almost looks like there's a clear coat over the green. My large doesn't appear to have the clear layer. Both are almost always covered in the rain and I've never seen any oozing . . .[p]MikeO
  • bdavidson
    Options
    Porkemon,
    My large has the same weblike pattern on the dome. Last year when I was doing high temp cooking it appeared to sweat, but I've not seen the phenomenon since then. The small "cracks" appear not to have changed in the last year and a half, and have not affected my cooking at all.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Porkemon,
    My large has them too but they are not really cracks.
    I think if you will lick your finger and really rub you will see them disappear. That is what happened to me and what a relief it was to see them go away.