Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm not responsible enough to own....

Options
Wooden Cutting Boards

This is #3 down.  It's ashame as I love them.  But at least I know this fact and haven't paid for a beautiful artisan board that I want so bad.

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    Take your cutting board to karate class did ya?

Living Large and XL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What happened?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    The problem is moisture.. getting wet and then drying out and repeat.

My problem is my counters are small and it ends up next to the sink. Seasoning with oils may keep the water at bay but im just not good at it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wow! Mine is close to 10 years old and sits in the counter right next to the sink. All day, every day. It is 2" thick, end grain. Not expensive, I got it at Home Goods. I am far from responsible! I hardly ever oil it - about once every 6 months or is it every year or two? While it doesn't look new, it comes close. I only use it for vegetables. I try to wipe off moisture when the top gets wet, but that's really all I do.

It has no feet and so is completely reversible. I do use spacers to keep it up off the counter. Lets air circulate and doesn't let the wood sit in any water that may get under there. They were very expensive... the plastic lids off of four small coffee cans. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Wow! Mine is close to 10 years old and sits in the counter right next to the sink. All day, every day. It is 2" thick, end grain. Not expensive, I got it at Home Goods. I am far from responsible! I hardly ever oil it - about once every 6 months or is it every year or two? While it doesn't look new, it comes close. I only use it for vegetables. I try to wipe off moisture when the top gets wet, but that's really all I do.

It has no feet and so is completely reversible. I do use spacers to keep it up off the counter. Lets air circulate and doesn't let the wood sit in any water that may get under there. They were very expensive... the plastic lids off of four small coffee cans. 
    Good tip.  It is certainly the moisture that gets under there when doing dishes.  I do not know why I didn't think of a spacer.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Carolina Q also made a salient point - thickness. Try to get at least a 1.5 inch-thick board. This probably helps the most.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always make sure mine sits over night on the stove grates if I have to wash it so it gets air from all sides and if I just cut veggies I keep a spray bottle of white vinegar and just spray and wipe. I oil every couple months and they are fine now. I went through a couple in the learning process though.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    That's your THIRD board?!?  How the heck/what are you chopping??

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Botch said: That's your THIRD board?!?  How the heck/what are you chopping?? image

He does a lot of bbq. And we all know that should be
    chopped, not just pulled or sliced. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like it's still good for smoke wood.