Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide short ribs

Options
Love this cook, and it's so easy. Used 'Modernist Cuisine at Home' guide for time/temp. 

Beef ribs, 72 hours in the SV at 144 degrees, then on the egg at 500 for a quick sear. Finished by a light drizzle of red wine glaze. Plated with kale and kabocha squash. 

May experiment with some different time/temps, but the texture was pretty spot on. They were also super juicy and moist. I'll definitely do again. Anybody have suggestions for the next time? Thanks!

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Suggestion for next time? Invite me over :)
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Drool...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Man, they look killer.  Second shot is lovely.  Wondered what they looked like cut, thanks for the pic.

DMW and CT suggested deboning, cubing prior to SV, and a flash fry to finish in a recent post.  Nola suggested 138 for 72 hours.  You could try that.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That looks incredible!

Here's something I learned that I want to pass on - nothing new really, but there can be quite a bit of difference in the same cut of meat.  Young (veal) short ribs break down fast.  Old (big) short ribs can take forever.  Just like cooking on the egg, time and temp isn't perfect.  You can pull the bag out of the bath and squeeze the meat and tell when it's done.  Leave it in the bath until it's done, you can up the temp if you want it done faster, at the expense of a little less moisture, and less pink with beef.
    Options
    Oh damn. That second pic should be framed and hung over the fireplace.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CoalCreek
    Options
    Looks amazing!
    Minneapolis, MN
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    @Focker‌ @nolaegghead‌ thanks for the tips! I've wondered about a slightly lower temp. Hadn't considered a flash fry.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    I love when I see killer SV posts up here. Encourages me to post my sous vide cooks! Awesome job!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @bclarksicle 138* at 72 hours was really good. I have a batch in at 140* right now for tomorrow night. I'm really curious if I'll be able to tell the difference or not.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Simply stunning, both the cook and photography!
    canuckland