Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regional/State Favorites?

Options

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ Middlesworth potato chips are the best! I always have my relatives bring me a few bags every time they visit. I bet I've got 5 bags in the pantry right now.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    henapple said:
    PA - scrapple

That s#%& is nasty.. ugh
    plus one on scrapple being ugh ... and throw in grits just for bad measure

And, don't tell me that I haven't had grits made right ... my DIL is a great cook and is from Mississippi.  Grits are what we, in Illinois, feed to what we eat.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @Tjcoley‌ Middlesworth potato chips are the best! I always have my relatives bring me a few bags every time they visit. I bet I've got 5 bags in the pantry right now.

I have to take them to my sister every time I go to Jersey.
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited December 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    PA - scrapple

That s#%& is nasty.. ugh

And, don't tell me that I haven't had grits made right ... my DIL is a great cook and is from Mississippi.  Grits are what we, in Illinois, feed to what we eat.

This is coming from someone in Illinois...  Oh they make great food in Illinois.  Said no one ever.  Bwahahahahaahah
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    edited December 2014
    Options
    was at a diner in northern new hampshire in the winter a few years back, some southerner was lost, entered the diner and ordered eggs with grits. people up there have a good sense of humor, for giggles the owner actually had grits for this unlikely situation. she made the grits
    :)) the waitress stayed to watch this person eat grits, the owner/cook came out to witness it, one by one everyone stood up to see the event
    :)) then we sat down and finished our red flannel corned beef hash

this is breakfast

Red Flannel Hash

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    The only good thing I see in that picture is the CI skillet... 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    PA - scrapple

That s#%& is nasty.. ugh
    plus one on scrapple being ugh ... and throw in grits just for bad measure

You haven't had grits made right. You need to go to SC or NC to get the best grits you'll be able to.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Jeremiah said:

Never heard of them so I looked. You can order 'em online. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

You haven't had grits made right. You need to go to SC or NC to get the best grits you'll be able to.
    "Best grits"?! Now there's an oxymoron if ever I saw one. The only thing good about grits is the bacon and eggs on the plate next to 'em.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2014
    Options
      ... and throw in grits just for bad measure ...
    Spent some time in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC for work ... that's where I first tried grits.  It has to be an acquired test!  Too big of a step for a Michigan born and raised Yankee.

Now as to Illiinois food, well ... hmmm ... let's see ... gosh ... okay, how about Chicago Style pizza?  After the war, a lot of folks from the south came up here to mid-Illinois to work in the factory.  They brought along some good cooking methods, but they just don't seem to have stuck around to today.  The land is very fertile, so it's mostly dedicated to growing grain and not livestock.

Okay, I'll stop bad mouthing grits ... geez, you guys are worse than my DIL when it comes to someone questioning their eating habits. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Tjcoley said:

Jeremiah said:

Never heard of them so I looked. You can order 'em online. :)

Ha! That's awesome! I looked a few years ago and they didn't. Haven't thought about it since. Thanks!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Gotta have REAL stone ground grits.  Made with lots of butter and heavy cream....mmmmm.  And if serving with short ribs add some quality aged sharp cheddar.  You don't like that then something's seriously wrong with you son.

Don't mess with southerners and their grits......or make fun of the way we drive when it snows.  
    :D

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You are all TOTALLY WRONG.   Fact:  The food I like is the best!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Now, with a nod to my roots and drafting off of some of the earlier California submissions:

Sour-freaking-dough
    incredible fruit and vegetables
    Cioppino
    In-n-Out
    fish tacos

• Eggcelsior
    Options

"Best grits"?! Now there's an oxymoron if ever I saw one. The only thing good about grits is the bacon and eggs on the plate next to 'em.

You live north of the Mason-Dixon, as did Vinny. Take that Jumbo Shrimp opinion back up 95!  ;)
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    henapple said:
    PA - scrapple

That s#%& is nasty.. ugh
    You have poor taste, good sir!

We love us some scrapple here in The First State, too.  Some like the apple-scrapple festival in Lower-Slower DE, but it's good cooked hard on a flat top or in a skillet.  Had some at the diner just this morning.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited December 2014
    Options
    egger ave said:
    South Central Texas  God's country for not so real BBQ (pssst it is beef folks)

Salado Eggfest

Grilling weather 360 days a year

No vinegar sauces and damned few mustard sauces, most of the time no sauces at all but some great rubs.

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex
    List of other great places, too long to post.

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists
    I fixed this for you....

TarheelMatt,

Yall are just jealous that they don't sell briskets in NC. I lived a misspent childhood in Charleston SC believing that BBQ had to have vinegar and pork in it. Not true.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    egger ave said:

egger ave said:

Salado Eggfest

No vinegar sauces and damned few mustard sauces, most of the time no sauces at all but some great rubs.

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists

I fixed this for you....

TarheelMatt,

Y'all are just jealous that they don't sell briskets in NC. I lived a misspent childhhod in Charleston SC believing that BBQ had to have vinegar and pork in it. Not true.

I buy packer briskets at Walmart all the time here in W-S, NC. They are great but pulled pork is where it's at. No doubt.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Hole s h i t !  They added a censor replace feature.   My post got ****'d.
    That happened to me yesterday, one word started with s & ended with hit and the whole post was deleated.  :-??

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    egger ave said:

egger ave said:

Salado Eggfest

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists

I fixed this for you....

TarheelMatt,

Yall are just jealous that they don't sell briskets in NC. I lived a misspent childhood in Charleston SC believing that BBQ had to have vinegar and pork in it. Not true.

Bought a few packers in my area. Walmart and my local place.

Also most Q has vinegar in the sauce.

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    egger ave said:

egger ave said:

Salado Eggfest

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists

I fixed this for you....

TarheelMatt,

Beef ain't BBQ!
  • egger ave
    Options
    egger ave said:

Salado Eggfest

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists
    I fixed this for you....

TarheelMatt,

Bought a few packers in my area. Walmart and my local place. Also most Q has vinegar in the sauce.

Using vinegar in the sauce is one of the primary reasons the South lost the War of Northern Aggression IMHO.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    egger ave said:

egger ave said:

egger ave said:

Salado Eggfest

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists

I fixed this for you....

TarheelMatt,

Bought a few packers in my area. Walmart and my local place.

Also most Q has vinegar in the sauce.

Using vinegar in the sauce is one of the primary reasons the South lost the War of Northern Aggression IMHO.

So you're going there. That's cute.

@Eggcelsior‌ said it the best, beef ain't BBQ!
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Gotta have REAL stone ground grits.  Made with lots of butter and heavy cream....mmmmm.  And if serving with short ribs add some quality aged sharp cheddar.  You don't like that then something's seriously wrong with you son.

Don't mess with southerners and their grits......or make fun of the way we drive when it snows.  
    :D

I'm not a fan of Grits, but I do like Polenta.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Grits is gourmay compared to scrapple

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I can buy this by the slab at my local butcher.  Simple rub and put on the smoker and you have the perfect breakfast companion.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    North shore(MA) style roast beef sandwichesimage
  • egger ave
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    North shore(MA) style roast beef sandwichesimage
    at least it's beef, looks delicious.

Albert Einstein
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

I can buy this by the slab at my local butcher.  Simple rub and put on the smoker and you have the perfect breakfast companion.

Goetta is good...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN