Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook for first cook???

Anyone got some good suggestions for a  first cook??  I'm picking up an XL this weekend. 

I know you can't go hi temp for the first couple of hours, but I'm not sure if I want to try low and slow for the first one.

Should I stick with something basic like some steaks or chops??

I figure it may take me a bit to master the temp control.

Should I burn lump for a while to heat up and season it before cooking on it?

Thanks

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Get a pork butt and a 12 pack and you should be good.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Pork butts are good so is spatchcock chicken. Start with what you have done/are good with in the past. It will help with the conversion to the Big Green Egg. Welcome and enjoy!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Welcome aboard! There is a learning curve to the temperature control so start out with a full load of lump and just play with settings and seeing how the egg reacts. Then just cook up some wings or something for lunch and let it burn adjusting and playing around, then have a nice steak for supper.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  No need to season; getting familiar with controlling temps is a good idea.  Cook something that you had trouble with on a previous cooker (gasser converts always mention how the BGE turns out great chix (whole or parted)) as an initial benchmark.  Beyond everything else, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Congratulations man. I really want an XL one day. Making a big move and the porch is on the bottom of the list but maybe one day I'll get the egg station fixed up.

XLBGE 
  • To answer your question I would spath two birds or do some steaks and chicken breast. Wings?? Man you can't go wrong. I did the "warm up break in" but not my small and couldn't tell a difference.

Take a picture of the white egg because you'll never see it again!! Do a few cooks raised direct around 350-450 and get the hang of temp control. Then order a smoke ware vent cap and start smoking butts and cooking pizzas! Your gonna love it.

XLBGE 
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Welcome. I suggest a spatchcock chicken. Cook it raised, direct at 350 or so. I think the gasket can handle that.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA