Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Pork Chop I've ever had..........

Comments

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    edited March 2014
    I am trying this right now!! Is that 275 your dome temp?
  • probably............
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Over the last year or so I have been doing a bunch of thick t-bone pork chops. They are like $6 for two huge ones and they are as good as steak when done right. I'm glad this came back up. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    I was searching earlier and came across this...happened to have everything at the house! Chops are slightly thinner than desired so I'm going to indirect at 250-265
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks fantastic. Book marked!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Soooooooo????
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I ordered a medium rare pork chop when we went out for lunch today.  They overcooked it (medium), but it was less cooked than the other two in our party, which were well done.
  • I did this again last night and it's still the best damn chop I've ever had. Started with a rack of pork from Costco. It had cryo-stink so bad it cleared the room. After 30 minutes or so it had tamed and in an hour it was gone. I was 5 min from trashing it but it was delicious.

I cut some double cut Dino chops off one end and some single chops off the other.

Brined, tsunami spin, smoked over cherry until 125 then seared down low on cast iron. Glazed with 50/50 honey and stone ground mustard.

These are so freaking good And super simple to make.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Dayum that is pretty.  The glaze sounds really awesome and simple enough for even me to follow. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    freaking fantastic.  absolutely on the list
  • Dayum that is pretty.  The glaze sounds really awesome and simple enough for even me to follow. 
    when the glaze mixes with the pig juice, it's magic. use good honey and good mustard. It's worth it.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I have some of these and was going to cook them whole this weekend, now I'm torn and might cut them first.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    I have some of these and was going to cook them whole this weekend, now I'm torn and might cut them first.
    I was going to save half as a roast but I prefer to do them in chops. You get more of the rub and glaze in every bite that way
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
    I am not worthy my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
     It had cryo-stink so bad it cleared the room. After 30 minutes or so it had tamed and in an hour it was gone. I was 5 min from trashing it but it was delicious.
    Interesting. I had chops a couple of weeks ago that stunk as soon as I opened the cryo-wrap, but seemed OK after rinsing. If I would have had a back up plan, I probably would have trashed them. But, they were delicious. In the back of my mind as I'm eating them, I kept worrying about the stink. Is this a common phenomenon?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• bodski said:
     It had cryo-stink so bad it cleared the room. After 30 minutes or so it had tamed and in an hour it was gone. I was 5 min from trashing it but it was delicious.
    Interesting. I had chops a couple of weeks ago that stunk as soon as I opened the cryo-wrap, but seemed OK after rinsing. If I would have had a back up plan, I probably would have trashed them. But, they were delicious. In the back of my mind as I'm eating them, I kept worrying about the stink. Is this a common phenomenon?

with cryovac pork and chicken it's very common. Less so with beef but it happens. I haven't had chicken in a while but it's more than 50/50 with pork these days. If it dissipates over time, it's ok. If the smell stays strong or gets worse after an hour, it's likely gone rancid.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Thanks, @The Cen-Tex Smoker. I've pitched a couple of packs of chicken that maybe I didn't need to.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    That looks amazing. Way to go. :-bd
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Wow! That sounds so easy, but looks amazing! What temp do you pull them at? It looks perfectly cooked.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov said:
    Wow! That sounds so easy, but looks amazing! What temp do you pull them at? It looks perfectly cooked.
    It is as easy as it sounds and as good as it looks.

I pulled them at 125 then seared. they came up to 138 before I put them back on for the sear. I was cooking around 250 or so during the smoke period.

The brine makes a big difference in the juiciness and smoke flavor. It carries the cherry smoke all the way to the center.

• Hoov
    Wow, temperature rises that much in the rest? Do you tent with foil? My wife thinks I'm crazy because I always anticipate a 5-10 degree rise on thick steaks and chops after the roast (250 or 300 usually), but it's usually like 2 or 3 degrees.

What brine do you recommend? I've done one that had a bunch of ingredients in it, but not sure they helped with flavor. The pork was juicy though.

Thanks!
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov said:
    Wow, temperature rises that much in the rest? Do you tent with foil? My wife thinks I'm crazy because I always anticipate a 5-10 degree rise on thick steaks and chops after the roast (250 or 300 usually), but it's usually like 2 or 3 degrees. What brine do you recommend? I've done one that had a bunch of ingredients in it, but not sure they helped with flavor. The pork was juicy though. Thanks!
    I was pretty surpised. it was 125 in the spot I checked but could have been a few degrees higher and rising.

You can just use salt sugar and water (1 gallon water, 1 cup salt, half cup sugar). scale that down if you are only doing one chop. Sometimes I add peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves. The only thing that makes a big difference is the garlic. It seems to really show up in the flavor profile so go easy on it. I notice that when I make bacon too. I started leaving garlic out because it was overpowering the other flavors
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited December 2014
    I'm confused. I thought the pork roast from Costco were already brined. So I'm thinking if you brine them again that you need to be carefull of them being over salted? They do look awesome. I have 2/rib chop in the freezer. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

Awesome looking chops!  Most pork is so lean that even a short, 4 hr brine seems to really help.

The cryostink is nasty.  I rarely rinse meat, but when a rack of ribs comes out of the cryopack smelling horrid, I give it a rinse and let it sit out and hope the smell goes away before anyone notices.  It's usually gone pretty quick.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Hoov
    One more question. How long did you brine?
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov said:
    One more question. How long did you brine?
    3 hrs on this one.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Bump for @dmack

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,939
    I don't know how I missed this before.  I've got to try this next time I get some thick chops.  Looks a million times better than that crummy recipe @cazzy gave me.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,939
    Bump - I'll be doing these today.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm! Looks great. I am a huge fan of the flavor profile on your glaze.