Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regional/State Favorites?

Options

Comments

• Chelnerul
    Options
    Acn said:
    Northern Virginia - Worst traffic this side of the Mississippi

I'd say Dizzy Pig, but it's becoming so widely available online and regionally that perhaps that's no longer the case that it's a regional gem?

- Willard's BBQ
    - Dixie Bones BBQ
    - Pierce's Pit BBQ (Williamsburg, VA)
    - The CIA
    Given the explosion in locations you should definitely add 5 Guys to the NoVA list.
    Excellent point - Five Guys (originally in Arlington before they got really popular regionally)

Also, Ben's Chili Bowl (does Bill Cosby still eat free?) in DC, Nat's Park and Arlington

The Willard's Scotch Bar (a magnificent homage to scotch)

Although not NoVA, Faidley's in Baltimore's Lexington Market has the largest and best crabcakes in the world. That's a fact.
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited December 2014
    Options
    South Central Texas  God's country for real BBQ

Salado Eggfest

Grilling weather 360 days a year

No vinegar sauces and damned few mustard sauces, most of the time no sauces at all but some great rubs.

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex
    List of other great places, too long to post.

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Here in Owensboro, Ky we have Burgoo and Mutton and Ky in general we have good Bourbon.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hey @Mattman3969‌ I swear the best BBQ I've had was mutton from Old Hickory. I've got a friend who I insist brings Old Hickory to me whenever she comes down to Nashville.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Gilroy Garlic Festival

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    (Best in the Universe)Crab cakes - Maryland EDITED FOR CLARITY
    Best crab dining experience I've ever had was in Baltimore.  I don't know that the Blue Crab tasted any better than other crab I've had, but the whole experience of sitting at a table with some co-workers, a bucket of crab and wooden mallets to smash them with.  That was one great dining experience I'll never forget.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Coastal Ga
    Wild Ga Shrimp
    Sapelo Clams
    Sapelo Pink Peas
    Southern Soul Barbecue
    Blue Crabs
    Wainright's Sausage
    Vidalia Onions
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options

Spoiled that I live here now, but:

Norcal has:

Best wine

Best hoppy beer

Best burritos

Best goat cheese

Best brandy/armangac

Best dungeoness crab

Best olive oil

Best avocados

+ much more

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    tkleager said:
    QDude said:

2. Tom Boy hot dogs - Nebraska

I have never heard of Tom Boy hot dogs, and I have lived in Nebraska all my life.  Please enlighten me @QDude.
    They serve them at the Cornhusker stadium.  They are great and available in grocery stores.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I forgot to add that Iowa has "maidrites"!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    QDude said:
    I forgot to add that Iowa has "maidrites"!

Maid-Rite is a block away from the house.  The waitresses know our order for breakfast when we walk down on weekends.  Coffee, water, and Dad's Favorite here.  Place is always busy. 

Fried Pork Ts the size of your plate too!

Might not have seafood....but we do have the best pork, chicken, venison, and beef.  So 4 out of 5 aint bad. :D
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wyoming Game & Fish suspended hunting for Gray Wolves, so I guess that's out.

Some possibilities you might consider in Wyoming:
    Antelope
    Buffalo
    Rocky Mountain Oysters. I've read a few posts that members on the forum like oysters. Some of the restaurants in Wyoming serve them as appetizers.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Potato chips - Utz, Herrs, Middleswarth, Bickles, Martens, Wise and many more. Lebanon Bologna. Wilbur buds. Hershey chocolate. Shoo fly pie. Fasthnachts. Whoopie Pies (PA Dutch, not New England) .Chow chow. Tasty Cakes/ Chipped ham/ Fried pickles (Dillsburg, PA)/ Yuengling beer. Primanti Brothers sandwiches, with cole slaw and fries on the roll.. Cheese Steaks. (Tony Luke's, John's Pork) / Amish friendship bread. PA Dutch sugar cookies. Halupki.  Nut roll and Poppy seed roll . Pasties.  Old Forge style pizza.  Victory Pig Pizza.  Grotto pizza.  Pittsburgh style steak.  Penn State Creamery Ice Cream.  Turkey Hill Lemonade, Iced Tea, Ice Cream.  Philly pretzels.   Resees cups.  Peeps.  Crayola crayons.  Mallo cups.  Birch beer.  Funnel cake
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Doesn't Casper have an annual Pig Hunt for **** Cheney Replacement Heart competition every year? :D
    Options

Doesn't Casper have an annual Pig Hunt for **** Cheney Replacement Heart competition every year? :D

=)) =))
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    QDude said:
    I would like to get a thread going related to food and grilling items that are probably only available in your state or region.  For example:

I am asking because as I travel, I would like to pick up these special items.  So what have you got that is really special?  Thanks!

Hog head cheese from Wayne Lees. It's as good as home made.
    @nolaegghead has done suggested Gulf oysters. I concur 100%. They are far better than those barnacles from every where else. 
    Barqs root beer. 
    Boudin from Jerry Lees. It's outstanding. Note- Jerry and Wayne are brothers. Two differnt stores though. 
    Chesapeake oysters are better than Gulf. I've had both and I'm not even being a homer here. When I was in New Orleans, I had oysters and was expecting a certain flavor. Tasted like nothing at all. Good hot sauce, though. Much better sweetness and brine up here in the Mid-Atlantic and upward.
    Dylan, Texas has had a bumper crop this year and Louisiana exports, much like the crab harvest, most of the oysters out of town.  Last couple of sacks I bought were actually imported from Texas, one from San Antonio bay (didn't know they had a bay).

The Louisiana oysters sort of defined my thinking of what they should taste like.  You know taste is learned.  Anyway, you may have sucked down some snotty Texas tea bagger oysters.  Salinity is a big factor, and we've had some issues with all the industrial accidents around there where they have to dump fresh water into the beds to keep the toxic **** out. 

East coast/West coast oyster jerkoff wars is all, yo crips be better, no yo, bloods be better.  Yo is all hoes.
    Options
    Hole s h i t !  They added a censor replace feature.   My post got ****'d.
    Options

Hole s h i t !  They added a censor replace feature.   My post got ****'d.

Hopefully they'll add a fork censor. I can't stand those dirty nasty things.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

NC (Lexington) - Best BBQ  

Cheerwine - One of the best drinks for BBQ (Sweet tea has to be top though)

Pepsi - Another good drink for BBQ (Same as above for sweet tea)

Texas Pete - Best hot sauce on BBQ

Krispy Creme - Best desert after BBQ

Neese's Sausage - Best sausage, liver pudding, scrapple

Lance Crackers - Best nabs

Mt. Olive Pickles - Best pickles

Cook Out - Best milkshakes 

Bojangles - Good chicken and biscuits

These are a few of my favorite things.....

Strong list
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    Acn said:
    maine...lobster rolls on a split top.....anything with a cork brewed by allagash
    massachusetts.... ipswich fried clams and guinness in every irish pub in boston
    newhampshire....maple syrup....robust porter by smuttynose
    Add whoopie pies and anything containing blueberries (esp pie and muffins) to the Maine list. For MA you need clam chowder, Boston cream pie, and Parker house rolls. And every Vermonter is going to come find you a beat you up for giving maple syrup to NH.
    a tree huggin hippie from vermont is gonna come and beat me up
    :)) my syrup comes from trees in nh cemeteries, "pour neighbor" maple syrup
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    egger ave said:
    South Central Texas  God's country for not so real BBQ (pssst it is beef folks)

Salado Eggfest

Grilling weather 360 days a year

No vinegar sauces and damned few mustard sauces, most of the time no sauces at all but some great rubs.

Franklin BBQ
    Snow's BBQ
    TexMex
    List of other great places, too long to post.

Brisket
    BBQ for tourists
    I fixed this for you....
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Northeastern Ohio--The Cleveland Steamer!!!
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I'm surprised no one in California said tri tip, up until pretty recently that was in large part a California cut of meat.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    @SGH and others, for Virginia (Chesapeake Bay) Oysters, here's a link that will educate you about them along with places that you can order for shipping. http://www.vaoystercountry.com/.  In a prior posting above, I stated to "swing by and taste them right out of the water".  I mean it.  I'm an oyster "gardener" not a farmer, meaning I grow on a small scale and I'm not licensed to sell.  I log volunteer hours for an oyster restoration 501c3 by educating others so you can come hoist some cages and taste right from the water!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @nolaegghead I bet it's the warm water vs. cold water argument. Based on everything I've read and now personally experienced, cold water oysters will have a stronger flavor than warm. Obviously, taste is learned, as you said. Being used to the flavor profile of Gulf oysters
    will allow you to appreciate the flavor more than someone like me, being from the east coast. I bet trying oysters from PEI or Maine may be even stronger tasting than Chesapeake due to the even colder water than here.

In the end, haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate... Shake it off, shake it off... Oh oh oh oh!

Something we can all agree on, Taylor Swift is a soothsayer. We all best recognize.

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I bet trying oysters from PEI or Maine may be even stronger tasting than Chesapeake due to the even colder water than here.
    Careful if you haven't tried them before.  You won't go back.

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @SGH and others, for Virginia (Chesapeake Bay) Oysters, here's a link that will educate you about them along with places that you can order for shipping. http://www.vaoystercountry.com/.  In a prior posting above, I stated to "swing by and taste them right out of the water".  I mean it.  I'm an oyster "gardener" not a farmer, meaning I grow on a small scale and I'm not licensed to sell.  I log volunteer hours for an oyster restoration 501c3 by educating others so you can come hoist some cages and taste right from the water!
    Really?  Sounds fun.  Love to give it try.  Just need to bring a little hot sauce.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    @nolaegghead I bet it's the warm water vs. cold water argument. Based on everything I've read and now personally experienced, cold water oysters will have a stronger flavor than warm. Obviously, taste is learned, as you said. Being used to the flavor profile of Gulf oysters will allow you to appreciate the flavor more than someone like me, being from the east coast. I bet trying oysters from PEI or Maine may be even stronger tasting than Chesapeake due to the even colder water than here. In the end, haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate... Shake it off, shake it off... Oh oh oh oh! Something we can all agree on, Taylor Swift is a soothsayer. We all best recognize.
    could just be the sand, ipswich clams are very sweet off the northern coast of mass, go a hundred miles north into maine and theres more a metallic taste. i eat them fresh dug from both places. ipswich is very clean sand compared to the mud flat clams in maine.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    @nolaegghead I bet it's the warm water vs. cold water argument. Based on everything I've read and now personally experienced, cold water oysters will have a stronger flavor than warm. Obviously, taste is learned, as you said. Being used to the flavor profile of Gulf oysters will allow you to appreciate the flavor more than someone like me, being from the east coast. I bet trying oysters from PEI or Maine may be even stronger tasting than Chesapeake due to the even colder water than here. In the end, haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate... Shake it off, shake it off... Oh oh oh oh! Something we can all agree on, Taylor Swift is a soothsayer. We all best recognize.
    I'd have to agree with you on this one.  Here in Oregon we have some good cold water oysters that SWMBO loves, but they just ain't my thang.  Now a couple years ago I was down in Nola and had some of the local warm water oysters and thought they were fantastic.  I like weird sh*t to eat, but I'll take the sweeter warm water oysters over our brinier cold water ones.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Atlanta's gifts to the world are Waffle House and Coka-Cola.
    Patton's Meat Market has house made hot dogs that are like a vacation for your mouth.  
    Lady Peas are native to Georgia and awesome when in season.

Can't think of much else as we are made up of mostly "transplants" - very few natives my age.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA