Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who's making pizza this weekend(recipe included)

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Show of hands, who's making pizza this weekend? \m/

The pizza talk has been crazy lately. Here's my recipe, do you think it will work?

3 cups Bread Flour
1 cup water
2 tsp yeast
2 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive oil
(All ingredients are in volume, not weight)

I mixed this up earlier and forgot it on the counter because I was screwing around on the forum. It grew quite a bit while out on the counter. I punched it down(you could hear the gas exploding) and put in the refrigerator until Saturday. Maybe it'll work and maybe not. Who knows. I know that there hasn't been a pizza rejected/denied yet. They usually get devoured quickly. Feel free to post your recipe on this thread and critique mine. Can't change much now, but your input will be considered for next time.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wut?!  You're using volume!?  There's a very low level of hell reserved for those guilty of that culinary faux pas.

I've had some pizza dough bust out of the zip locs in the fridge like Anna Nicole Smith's breasts jacked up with an air compressor.

Now that I think of it, I haven't cooked any pizza up for a few months.  Trying to cut down on the carbs, but all this pizza talk makes me want to simultaneously slit my wrists and eat some heart-killin' pie.

I post my recipe, which I stole from some guy on line, every time I make it and post about it.
    Wife made a request for a little get together she is having Sunday. Ill do a mixed variety on these. It was a home run last time I did them. image
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    ...all this pizza talk makes me want to simultaneously slit my wrists and eat some heart-killin' pie.  
    I hear ya. I love pizza, but when "they" told me I had to watch the sat fat and sodium, it's no longer pizza. No cheese, no 'roni, no cheese, no sausage, no beef, no cheese. Did I mention cheese?

I made some dough a while back and reduced the amount of salt. I'll be delighted to share the recipe. To anyone who want to start a guaranteed to fail pizzeria. Reduced salt dough, no meat, no cheese. Yum! A marinara pie with garlic. Just like da michele! LOL. But somehow, they make it look good...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    @stemc33‌ here recipe we love. It's great because you can "keep" the extra dough to use later. We also buy dough balls at Sams Club, there are in the snack/pizza stand and these are fantastic and cheap 1 case has around 20-24 dough balls and costs around (if I remember correctly) $16.00 . Good luck with the pizza we love it as for us I just put a Butt on for the weekend enjoy! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pizza-dough-ii/detail.aspx
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • ...all this pizza talk makes me want to simultaneously slit my wrists and eat some heart-killin' pie.  
    I hear ya. I love pizza, but when "they" told me I had to watch the sat fat and sodium, it's no longer pizza. No cheese, no 'roni, no cheese, no sausage, no beef, no cheese. Did I mention cheese?

I made some dough a while back and reduced the amount of salt. I'll be delighted to share the recipe. To anyone who want to start a guaranteed to fail pizzeria. Reduced salt dough, no meat, no cheese. Yum! A marinara pie with garlic. Just like da michele! LOL. But somehow, they make it look good...
    Can you at least eat garlic bread with some kind of sauce?  I'd think that would be the next best thing if I couldn't eat cheese.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Can you at least eat garlic bread with some kind of sauce?  I'd think that would be the next best thing if I couldn't eat cheese.  
    Sure, as long as I pay attention to what's in them. I can eat the pie I showed, I just don't think it's very good. It's crust, tomatoes, a few spices and thinly sliced garlic. I have come to the conclusion that I will just make it with semi-normal stuff on it... and eat less of it and do it less often. Probably replace the pepperoni or sausage with grilled chicken or some such. 

It'll be fine, Really. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @stemc33 I'm thinking about it for Saturday or Sunday. I need lots of work on my medium crust, it's often too thin or too thick, but my med-thin and med-thick are just right. I measure them.

Someday I may be good enough to open a place of my own...

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    ...all this pizza talk makes me want to simultaneously slit my wrists and eat some heart-killin' pie.  

I'd eat that right now. I really DO like pizza marinara, when it's done right. My neighbor does a killer pizza marinara with perfect flavor.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    DMW said:
    I'd eat that right now. I really DO like pizza marinara, when it's done right. My neighbor does a killer pizza marinara with perfect flavor.
    That one is a bit out of your way... Naples. :) Not my pic, I just wanted one of a marinara pie and I knew da michele makes one. 

Does your neighbor just slice up the garlic or does he roast it first and then add? I like garlic, but raw slices baked with the pie seem awfully strong. I only tried it once at home and once in a WFO pizza joint. They were similar with a strong garlic flavor.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Made pizza last night. Wegmans pizza dough topping and couple chunks of Apple wood.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    DMW said:
    That one is a bit out of your way... Naples. :) Not my pic, I just wanted one of a marinara pie and I knew da michele makes one. 

Does your neighbor just slice up the garlic or does he roast it first and then add? I like garlic, but raw slices baked with the pie seem awfully strong. I only tried it once at home and once in a WFO pizza joint. They were similar with a strong garlic flavor.
    I'll need to ask him, but I don't think he roasts it.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    I think you can slice thinly and soak in water for a little while to remove some of the pungency. 

Sliced fresh is easier than roasted, but roasted is still easy and I like the flavor better - we've half roasted before, so it's not quite as mushy as when you want it to spread on bread, that works well for pizza because you can still slice it,distribute it around.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited December 2014

That dough requires a wild starter and caputo pizzeria flour and a 3 day ferment.

It is a thing of beauty

EDIT: It also needs a floor temp of 700 degrees and a 900+ temp above the pie.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Not making pizza. Gave up eating bread and carbs to lose some weight. You guys are killing me with all the pizza threads though. They look fantastic. Keep on making it though. I'm eating it vicariously through you. :D
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I am planning on pizza sunday with my new Ischia sourdough starter.  This will be my frist time using it instead of the Instant Dry Yeast.  I got my dough in a "bulk ferment" now and next I break into dough balls and let ferment some more.  I will be cooking it on my Blackstone, but really curious to see how all the sourdough changes the flavor. 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks for the tips on the garlic. I wasn't figuring on slicing it if I roasted first. Just squeezing out little bits here and there. We'll see.

rtt121, I've never used a starter. Have no idea how that works. I do have a 725° floor temp. Never checked the top. It's a kitchen stove, not a WFO so it's not gonna be "right" anyway.

jcaspary, I'm killin' ME! I have no business tempting myself with pizza. But I haven't made one in 6-8 months, pepperoni or otherwise. I figure I can handle a 10" pie with tomatoes and garlic. 
    :))

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    @NDG‌ let us know how it works I love sourdough bet it's good for pizza
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Carolina Q said:  I love pizza, but when "they" told me I had to watch the sat fat and sodium, it's no longer pizza. No cheese, no 'roni, no cheese, no sausage, no beef, no cheese. Did I mention cheese?

A couple things that would be great on that if you're missing meat and cheese: sliced portabellos, and sliced artichoke hearts.  And a good amount of red pepper flakes and olive oil, you won't miss the pepperoni too much either.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    Thank you. I miss cheese more than meat. I sometimes mix up some chicken Italian sausage that is actually pretty good. It's not pork, but it's not bad. Or even plain old grilled chicken is ok as a meat sub. It's not pepperoni, but I can handle that. Cheese is tougher.

I've used portobellos or shiitakes on pizza before. Not sure I've ever HAD an artichoke heart. Ha. Surely I must have.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Carolina Q great looking pie there, was that done in the BlackStone?
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q great looking pie there, was that done in the BlackStone?
    Thanks, but as I said earlier... 

Not my pic, I just wanted one of a marinara pie and I knew da michele makes one. 

It's from Naples. :) I don't think they have a Blackstone at da michele.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    sorry Michael, I missed that
    :\">
    canuckland
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I'm not, and if I do, I'm not posting it, I don't think I can handle the controversy of the pizza threads.
    :)) :)>-
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • stemc33
    edited December 2014
    Nope! The recipe above doesn't work. Don't use it.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    That looks F'n amazing!
  • stemc33
    Legume said:
    @stemc33 I'm thinking about it for Saturday or Sunday. I need lots of work on my medium crust, it's often too thin or too thick, but my med-thin and med-thick are just right. I measure them. Someday I may be good enough to open a place of my own... image

@legume, I still need some work.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    It takes years...
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    jcaspary said:
    Not making pizza. Gave up eating bread and carbs to lose some weight. You guys are killing me with all the pizza threads though. They look fantastic. Keep on making it though. I'm eating it vicariously through you. :D

@jcapary

There is still hope. Replace the dough with a low carb taco shell. Make your own sauce from canned tomatoes; just make sure sugar is not added.  The cheese and toppings are essentially carb free.

You would be surprised at the final result. Yes the pizza is going to be very thin, its a taco shell, but its a great alternative to high carb pizza dough. 

• Chetscapes said:
    Made pizza last night. Wegmans pizza dough topping and couple chunks of Apple wood.
    How is the Wegman's pizza dough? I haven't tried it and was thinking of just buying OO...?
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • stemc33
    @Chelnerul‌, are you talking about 00 flour? I haven't tried it, but I think several others on the forum have. I don't think anybody in my area sells 00 flour.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming