Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to field dress a deer, like a boss!!!

Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited December 2014 in Off Topic
As an RN, always respect someone just gettin' in there, and gettin' it done.  Dip, fancy watch, and all. hahaha

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    He forgot to mention that one must spit to make it look studly.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    That was awesome with those loppers
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Wow next time I'm gonna spit more and I might even wear my street clothes
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    That's not so much 'field' dressing as it is driveway dressing. Loppers don't pack in to the back country so well.
  • RiverDoc
    @Spaightlabs‌ lol that's what I thought maybe his tree stand is on his roof. I'm working on a mount so I can put the loppers on my bow
    -Todd
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    Makes it alot eaiser than just using your knife. I think I'll throw the loppers in the truck for in the morning, good idea.
  • Spaightlabs
    @riverdoc - let me know what you come up with.  :D  Fabricate that sucker out of carbon fiber, modify the loppers to weight under a pound and you are out to market with River Doc's $650 field dressing kit.  Bow hunters will buy anything if it is light, fast or expensive.  preferably all 3!
  • I would worry about the bladder breaking with the loppers. Just me though.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Focker
    edited December 2014
    That's not so much 'field' dressing as it is driveway dressing. Loppers don't pack in to the back country so well.

DNR won't allow field dressing, although I've seen one drug out of the timber.  Not sure why, probably to keep the coyotes away.  Can't blame them, thats alot of extra weight to drag long distances.  My luck, I'd be dragging a dressed deer to a manned DNR truck parked next to mine. 

If on private property, loppers in the truck isn't a bad idea.  Guess you could walk back to the truck, change out of cold scent gear, leave bow and climber, grab the loppers while waiting to track. Just thinking out loud here, I'm new to all this.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    I would worry about the bladder breaking with the loppers. Just me though.
    Me too, saw him push it up before placing the loppers. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited December 2014
    RiverDoc said:
    @Spaightlabs‌ lol that's what I thought maybe his tree stand is on his roof. I'm working on a mount so I can put the loppers on my bow
    A stabilizer that doubles as loppers.  Think you're on to something. lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• stemc33 said:

He forgot to mention that one must spit to make it look studly.

Pretty sure that made the video

XLBGE 
  • RiverDoc
    Loppers/stabilizer is an awesome idea! The loppers are actually a good idea, I'll prob throw some in the truck also
    -Todd
  • I would be embarrassed with the second deer. Poor thing was tiny.

or at least said on the video that this small one my buddy shot.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I have about three sets of loppers in my garage.  One is going in my truck toolbox just for this.  Looks much easier than opening with my knife.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Spaightlabs
    Focker said:

DNR won't allow field dressing, although I've seen one drug out of the timber.  Not sure why, probably to keep the coyotes away.  Can't blame them, thats alot of extra weight to drag long distances.  My luck, I'd be dragging a dressed deer to a manned DNR truck parked next to mine. 

If on private property, loppers in the truck isn't a bad idea.  Guess you could walk back to the truck, change out of cold scent gear, leave bow and climber, grab the loppers while waiting to track. Just thinking out loud here, I'm new to all this.   

For real?  You have to drag it out without dressing it?  That is brutal.  'yotes gotta eat too..
  • Focker
    edited December 2014
    Focker said:

For real?  You have to drag it out without dressing it?  That is brutal.  'yotes gotta eat too..
    Unfortunately yes.  And I'd probably commit a crime before F'in with the DNR.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    @Spaightlabs‌ and @Focker‌, I guess it just depends on where you hunt. Technically I guess you can call it a driveway dressing. I don't hunt but I could shoot a deer in my driveway between the house and garage. I wish I had a way to keep them out of my yard. They graze on everything and drive the dogs nuts. Here's a picture of a deer taken from our front porch.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Spaightlabs
    Awesome pic @stemc33‌. Nice view to egg to.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have the same problem as @stemc33‌ in that I can have 6 to 14 on my lot (only one acre) at any time. No we don't feed except for anything Linda plants. Lucky for me they pay no attention to my 70 lb Poodle and she couldn't care less about them. Have several neighbors who take a few each year out of their yards by bow.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• That is worth a try, I figure the lops will be clean so I will leave them on floor board of back seat of truck.  Swap gear out, grab my deer cart anyways which I keep cabled in the bed, and then head back to the deer.  Indiana deer are considerably larger, I wonder if those are Georgia does?
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Focker
    Smoker317 said:
    That is worth a try, I figure the lops will be clean so I will leave them on floor board of back seat of truck.  Swap gear out, grab my deer cart anyways which I keep cabled in the bed, and then head back to the deer.  Indiana deer are considerably larger, I wonder if those are Georgia does?
    LMFAO,  he had a Texas shirt on.   =))
    Brandon
    Quad Cities