Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ spot in Memphis?

Options
Heading there soon. Anyone got any recs?
Southern California

Comments

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I was always a fan of Corky's when I lived there. Also, Central BBQ and Rendezvous were pretty good. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Central BBQ I think is the best overall.  There Nachos and PP are killer.  Rendezvous has a great cheese and sausage plate.  Interstate has the best ribs (pork and beef).  Have to stop at Gus's Fried Chicken as well.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Cozy Corner and Corky's were my favorites when I lived there. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Crimsongator
    Options
    Central BBQ I think is the best overall.  There Nachos and PP are killer.  Rendezvous has a great cheese and sausage plate.  Interstate has the best ribs (pork and beef).  Have to stop at Gus's Fried Chicken as well.
    If you can swing Gus' Fried chicken, do it. As for the others, I like the banana pudding at Germantown Commisary and chicken nachos (along with sausage and cheese plate and beans and rice) at Rendezvous. As for traditional bbq, it will be good but not nearly a much as you can make at home. 

What you re looking for is the legendary spots. Rendezvous ribs can be hit/miss and will be tougher than you'd expect. Go there for the atmosphere. BBQ spaghetti at Neely's Interstate BBQ is another well known place. Go to Cozy Corner if you want to try their cornish hens. Most people tend to agree that Central is all around the better location.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Germantown Commisary   they do have a website

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I liked Blue's City Cafe. Gus' was awesome.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • chrisdiaz73
    Options
    Memphis BBQ has quite the cult following based on what you like ... for: 

Pulled Pork - BBQ Shop
    Ribs - Corky's
    Smoked Sausage - Interstate BBQ
    BBQ Nachos - Central BBQ
    Sausage and Cheese Plate - Rendevous

Those are the most talked about places with what is most consistently their favorite.  For my personal opinion, there is a place called Memphis BBQ Co. located in Horn Lake, MS.  just a few miles from Memphis, that has consistently good food and does it all well.  They have won the Memphis BBQ Festival Competition multiple times and offer a bigger variety than most these other places, with even crazier combinations.  

I do agree with a previous post here that says you should try Gus's Chicken.  Its by far the best fried chicken you will ever eat, anywhere in the world.  And one more recommendation I can offer as a pulled pork sandwich hidden gem ... Try Payne's BBQ.  They use a vinegar based sauce that just changes the pulled pork experience.  

Feel free to let me know if you need any other suggestions ... 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Drive a little further and go to Henapple's house!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Laugh44
    Options

Memphis BBQ Company in Horn Lake, MS (right across the border) and 10 Bones in Southaven MS (again, right across the border) are great choices. . Rendevous is all hype if you ask me...I wasn't impressed. Their rub was great, but the meat was tough.

Take me with you and I'll show you around. :)

XL BGE, Mav 733

Kennesaw, GA

• Z_Eggineer
    Options

BBQ - Central BBQ or Germantown Commissary

Non-BBQ - Gus's or Blue Plate