Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Newbie Question-Small versus Mini Max

Options
2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Sameydog said:

It now has gotten interesting as they have a large that I can buy really reasonable, and due to the MM being a premium right now (he sold one so only has one left) the large is a better "deal" by far.

So now hopefully the large won't be, well, too large.

Bill

Get the large. I 100% guarantee you will be glad you did

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    @Sameydog‌ The MM is a little workhorse. I don't regret purchasing it one iota. I wish it would've arrived sooner than it did. FWIW the price tag, depending on how you look at it, is reasonable. + the fact that it is portable so, you could take on a fishing outing or beach. I know we'll load ours up for the beach in a couple of months.
    Completely agree.  Sure, the Mini Max isn't the best bang for your buck Egg.  However, the portability makes up the difference for me.  
    We vacation south of NPHuskerFL in New Smyrna Beach at least once a year, and with the Mini Max, it'll actually save us money in not having to go out to eat as much.  I'll still have to head out to get my Mexican dinner fix.
    The thought of relaxing on the beach while a pork shoulder is smoking away on the Mini Max was reason enough for me to buy one.
    Not to mention, taking it to the lake for the weekend, or wherever else my travels take me is a great option to have.

Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    It now has gotten interesting as they have a large that I can buy really reasonable, and due to the MM being a premium right now (he sold one so only has one left) the large is a better "deal" by far.

So now hopefully the large won't be, well, too large.

Bill

Get the large. I 100% guarantee you will be glad you did
    I totally agree.  Even if it is just for you I'm sure you will want to cook for guests.  I have a small and large and I like the small, but not for my only egg.  

Just one more argument for the larger egg- when I make pulled pork I usually make close around 30 lbs on my large.  Even if it was just me...I would smoke 3 butts.  I pull it all and freeze the leftovers and they are great (foodsaver really helps for this).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I freaking love my small. I looked at the mini max and it's a no go for me. The dome is too squatty to bake in. I want the full versatility of an egg and the small offers that. But I use it as a support egg to my XL.   The mini max looks like a mini on steroids. Great if you want a mini. But if you want something that can do everything a large can do, the small is it. If you don't plan to bake in it, or maybe only pizzas and flat breads, then the mini max will probably perform your every task.
    I thought the MM and the Small used the same dome? I thought it was just the base on the MM that was shorter. But I have never measured them to see. Ping back if you know for sure.
    I do not know for sure. I have never measured, just based that on my looking at the egg and already feeling like I'm a bit short on height in the small to start with. Any less height would knock it out for me.  If the grid to dome is the same though... that could change things. Except I don't see how the mini max would have much room left for lump.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Sameydog ... my only egg is a large which works well for two of us ... as well as for company.  I was sorely tempted to buy a Kamado Joe Jr when Ace had their one day 25% off sale, but decided that I'd still probably still cook on the large so didn't buy one.

It'd be interesting to take a poll of egg size ownership among the members ... my guess is that the large would be number one ... probably followed by the XL.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Jeepster47 said: It'd be interesting to take a poll of egg size ownership among the members ... my guess is that the large would be number one ... probably followed by the XL.

Interesting...looks better and better that I'm getting a large. Hopefully soon so I can try it out before holiday company. Both of our kids and their family live in Florida so I guess I was a little hasty saying I only cook for myself. They always want me to do the cooking and especially when I bring back fish.
    Bill

From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You're gonna love it. I'm surprised how quickly I can fill up the large on a single level. Mostly because I want to cook the meat and some side at the same time. I think you'll be happy you got the large.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You'll be happy with either one you decide to purchase.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
    theyolksonyou said:  Mostly because I want to cook the meat and some side at the same time. 

Dang...I wasn't thinking in that directions. A good point. I'm use to using my propane grill to only do the meat. I see a whole new world out there. Okay. Maybe not a whole new world but you get my drift.  :)

Bill
    From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida