Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE

I have a large BGE and I am thinking about buying a small.  I thought it would be good a lot of the time when I am just cooking something for my wife and me.  There are times when two would be great also.  I was wondering if you could put a spatchcock chicken on it with no problem.  Just wondering about the space.  If I do this I will probably buy the woo instead of the platesetter for it.  Would I be better off with a medium instead of the small?  I would hate to buy it and regret it afterwards. Maybe some of you that have experience with a small and medium could share your thoughts on this.  Thank you for any advice concerning this.

Comments

• @trout1‌ I would go med. Over the small even just for 2. And before a small I would go mini max. Just my opinion.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Trout1 where you at? I might sell yu my small at Black Friday price. :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    The small rules!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Accessories limited to medium. Never tried spatch on small. Mini max only plus is portability IMO. I do love my small
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Small/Large combo here. Yes you can do a spatched chicken and yes go with the Woo & Stone over the PS. I mainly cook for 2 and use my small about 80ish % of the time. Like @greg345 said I've got no experience with the medium & accessories are limited. I'm perfectly happy with my lil workhorse

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @trout1-I was in the same space as you.  LBGE and generally cooking for 2-4.  Went with a SBGE (eggfest deal-which I would endorse as the way to buy). @DMW steered me to a hi-que grate and CGS woo with stone which landed before the SBGE.  Picked up three good sized cooper Tee's and a weber grate and can cook two levels.  
    Quite versatile (check out @cazzy's great extended duration L&S cooks on the SBGE).  Have cooked hot&fast and an 8 hour L&S with no issues.  No eggsperience with the Mini-Max but the reduced lump capacity would seem to impact its effectiveness with a L&S cook.  Just an  opinion and were all know what those are worth-FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Large / Small / Mini, purchased in that order. Love and use them all and they all have their place. The small is less portable than I thought but with a carrier and a second person it travels well. Wanted the ability to do multiple cooks at the same time. 
    You'd be surprised at how much you can cook on a mini, don't count it out.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've been a vocal advocate of the large and small combo for 14 years. Just the two of us and my small gets 65% of all my cooks. My medium is my baking egg and it has never had meat in it and is the perfect baker size! Our mini is for travel, but holds its own in what it does well. Granted the Maxi-Mini is the new kid on the lock, but as I have grown so accustomed to my small I would probably replace my small if I had to as I love it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I have a large and a small and would recommend a small for cooking for two. Yes you can spatchcock a chicken on a small.

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    @trout1
    It was great meeting you on Saturday, I had both a large and small and they greatly complimented each other. Yes you can get a whole spatchcock on the small. I only sold my small to get the Mini Max which has the same grid size as the small but I do a lot of tailgating and is easier to transport.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    @DMW - Has a small and uses it regularly. Each size has it uses. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Large and Small here too, I live and usually eat alone.  The Small is, I think, the perfect size for stir-frying, I actually have a woo and a platesetter!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• A second Egg will give you great versatility. A Small would be a great addition.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Small/Large Combo is great. Now that the mini max has entered, the small has seen less work.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I started with a L and then added a used M. I really loved that combo and if I could only have two, that would be it for me. I got a deal on a second L and sold the M because my table was originally built for a L & L combo. 

I found another deal and picked up a new S and new M this past summer (the S was purchased for tailgating). Anyway, I really like the S but I LOVE my M. It gets to temp as fast as my Mini and it's perfect for spatchcock and sides at the same time for 2-4 people. It's the most used egg at my house. Bottom line is, you will love a second egg - get whatever size you want and have fun with it. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    minniemoh said:

Bottom line is, you will love a second egg - get whatever size you want and have fun with it. 

This sums it up.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @Mattman3969 - You're right. I should have started with that and deleted the rest of my post.  :P
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    edited December 2014
    Large/small/mini - for the two of us, I cook about 50/50 on the mini and small. Both save a lot of lump. The small is also great for cooking side dishes on when I have the large fired up for large cooks, I bought the small to complement the large and haven't regretted it.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Have medium and small. Medium is so much better at everything, and uses frugal amount of charcoal, just a tad more than the small. Many people have documented problems with the small. Others don't, but trust those of us that do, it's a serious pain in the ass.
  • otter
    otter Posts: 340
    Large and Small here, Like the small alot. Seat belt it in the back seat of the truck, and away we go
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • We have a large small and mini combo. When it is just the 2 of us the main cookers are the small and mini. If i was in the market today for a companion to the large I would purchase the mini max.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I have a small/large, and think it is a great combo....I take the small with me on long trips with the family and for cooking smaller items at home (it uses a LOT less charcoal)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yes, as mentioned, I do have an XL/Small combo. The small gets most of the weeknight cooking duties around here. It is also a great companion to the XL when cooking different temps.

Spatchcock chicken, yes easily. 8 lb pork butt, no problem.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • +1 on combo. got a large and a small. works great for us.

THWG!!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• DMW said:

Yes, as mentioned, I do have an XL/Small combo. The small gets most of the weeknight cooking duties around here. It is also a great companion to the XL when cooking different temps.

Spatchcock chicken, yes easily. 8 lb pork butt, no problem.
    +1 on this. I run an XL / Medium combo. Mu Medium does most of the mid week work.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    XL/ Small here. The ultimate combo. Though I'm really getting into baking and thinking about adding a medium. Taking my small out my outdoor kitchen and building the medium in instead then using the small in the Eggcarten I got and travel with it more. Even if I only travel to the fire pit thats a hundred feet or so from my outdoor kitchen, I would like that!!  I love my small. It's extremely capable.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Thanks everyone for all of the commits. Right now I'm leaning toward the small. The mm is tempting, but since I would not be traveling with it but once in a great while, the small would be a better fit for me. I could still take the small with me, If I needed to. @JRWhitee‌ it was nice meeting and talking with you as well. It was good talking with @BigG‌reen‌ Craig and the other people. My first time at Roswell Hardware and everyone was so helpful.
  • Large and small combo here but now that the mini max is out if I was still in the market for a small I would be very tempted to get the MM for portability reasons.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Large and small here. Love the small. MM just seems to have grate too close to lump, even the new woo doesn't seem to add much, might as well have the small. IMHO.
    JOE
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    The small is a work horse. It can cook for a small family on a nightly event. Having a bunch of people over the Large or Extra Large would be needed.