Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Hog Head Results (and Pics)

Options
2»

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    My wife will be out of town in a couple weeks. I have phone calls to make now :-)

Hopefully I won't scare my two little kids from eating pork ever again.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That is awesome. I would love to try and do one if I could find a head. I remember growing up they always had cow's heads at the store, what they traditionally made barbacoa and other items with, but since mad cow's disease you can get it anymore. Jus tthe cheeks. Wonder what my wife will think of this idea?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Oh, and thanks for providing info on how much meat it yielded. That was my question while reading through the thread.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Options

@bclarksicle... I dropped by a local butcher shop yesterday to ask about getting a hog's head. He's checking with his pork supplier and is going to let me know. He asked about the brain so, I'm asking you... was the brain in the head you did. If so, did you eat it?

No brain, but i would've tried it if it was there :)
  • yzzi
    Options
    First phone call and found a place that carries them for $1.99/pound. Also carries cow and sheep heads too. Thanks for posting this, now I can't wait to give this a shot!
    Dunedin, FL
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    When I saw this post, I thought of a menu item at a great restaurant, The Magpie, where my wife and I ate.  It was a Crispy Pig Head Torchon, essentially a crispy croquette made from the head meat.  We were hesitant to order it, because of the name, but it was amazing.  I'd do this cook just to make Torchon.  I found the technique here, that you could modify for the Egg.  Wonderful cook. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @bclarksicle... I dropped by a local butcher shop yesterday to ask about getting a hog's head. He's checking with his pork supplier and is going to let me know. He asked about the brain so, I'm asking you... was the brain in the head you did. If so, did you eat it?
    The brain was in the 1 I bought, as were the eyes. My wife did ask me to not cook the eyes. From what I understand, they can be kind of tough, so little loss there. I was in enough of a feeding frenzy as I cut up the meat that the notion I would pause long enough to get out a saw to get at the brain was not conceivable.

Some one, perhaps on the other forum, mentioned they did eat the brain. Said it was not particularly good. Battered and fried pork brain sandwiches are a local favorite down state here in Indiana. From what I've read, they are fine if you don't mind that about 90% of the calories come from fat.

Its funny how attitudes have changed over the years. A hundred years ago the town I live in had a good restaurant on the main street down town. There was a train line that ran straight north to up state Michigan. The owner and his son's would take the train north on Friday, and after returning home on Saturday, would hang the deer, elk, turkey, goose carcasses up over the sidewalk in front of the restaurant to show what good food would be on the menu that evening.

But then again, the city had just passed laws not allowing farm animals within city limits. My mother lived just outside the city, and she did say she was never fond of wringing chicken necks, but that was the standard kid chore.
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    yzzi said:
    First phone call and found a place that carries them for $1.99/pound. Also carries cow and sheep heads too. Thanks for posting this, now I can't wait to give this a shot!
    score! Definitely post your results...I'm eager to figure out how to make it even better.
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    @gdenby

Sounds like an awesome cook. It looks like the one I had was cut just in front of the brain, right behind the ears. I'm kind of curious what they did with the brain. 
  • yzzi
    Options
    What would you do differently the second time around?
    Dunedin, FL
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    I didn't quite get the skin perfected. I'm wondering if I cooked it too long. Some of the skin was excellent, but certain parts got too tough to eat. I figure they'll still be good to toss in a pot of greens or a stock.  On the plus side, the meat was perfect. Pulled right off the bone like a good pork butt would. 

I really had no idea on temp. I put the probe in the cheek and it was 196 when I pulled. After going through the skin, probe went in like butter. Total cook time was about 9 hours...so maybe start checking it for doneness at 180 or so, just to see. 

And there's a lot of fat on the head. It's delicious, but there's lots of it. Takes some work to carve it up. Good luck!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Just got a call back from my butcher and he said he could get me a head with a 1 week notice. Still working on Mrs. TOTN but, I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks so, this might be what I request! 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    hmmmm, i wonder
    :D

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Best meat on the animal IMHO

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Best meat on the animal IMHO
    Do you have a local source or should I stick with the butcher I found in Aurora. He told me around $40 for a head but was not sure what size.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I would just order from a butcher. I have only bought jowl and face meat before. Try an oriental market.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    hmmmm, i wonder
    :D

Wazzat? Maine llama

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    its a whitetail doe. my neighbors teaching his pup how to hunt sheds and my dog keeps bringing me these treats. ive gotten and returned a few sheds this winter, not sure if this was for training though
      :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Boil the head and stick it on a stake. A little "Lord of the Flies" a little "Dahmer". 100% guaranteed to freak out the neighbors.
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    You know what, I actually did have the brain, only I didn't realize it til I was making stock with the skull today. 

First, wow, hogs have tiny brains! Secondly, it's really hard to actually get to with a whole head. If you want to eat the brain, you'd probably need the skull sliced in half by the butcher. There's a very small opening on the back of the head that allows you reach the brain. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Awesome! Egg Size?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    Options
    John, keep me posted please!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,516
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Many years ago I picked up a whole roasted pig head for $5 from a bbq place, it was pig heavens!

canuckland
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    edited March 2014
    Options
    All this talk of pig heads has me upset. If only this thread would have started four weeks earlier. Four weeks ago myself and some friends ground up two 220lbs hogs to make breakfast sausage. We had he heads and TOSSED THEM into the dumpster. In past years we had taken the cheek meat out but the powers cutting decided against that this year. BUT next year I know what I'll be cooking the day after we make sausage. I can't wait.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Almost a staple in Vietnam.image
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Hoping to do this over the holidays.  I've had the cheek  meat before and was amazed at the tenderness and flavor.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    Brains? Wondering this myself. I will cook this. Pig head tacos? Yes.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Firemanyz said:
    All this talk of pig heads has me upset. If only this thread would have started four weeks earlier. Four weeks ago myself and some friends ground up two 220lbs hogs to make breakfast sausage. We had he heads and TOSSED THEM into the dumpster. In past years we had taken the cheek meat out but the powers cutting decided against that this year. BUT next year I know what I'll be cooking the day after we make sausage. I can't wait.
    The jowl meat is the best meat on a hog. I can eat it until I make myself sick.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Amazing, the pig to me is smiling, smiling because he knew how delicious you would find him. Thank you for posting, call me sick but I would let the skull bleach out and I would hang it on a wall in my bbq area in my backyard. It would look cool, and send a message to all nearby pigs. Come in here and you will be dinner!!!
    :D ^:)^ =))
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    They have become a regular cook for me, great food
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian