Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the most you've ever cooked?

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my nieghbor has asked me about cooking pulled pork for a church function. She needs to feed around 100 people. I doubt I could cook enough pulled pork for that meany people, but I'm wondering what the maximum amount I could cook for would be. Have you ever completely loaded your Egg with butts or picnics, and served a large crowd? How many, and how many pounds of pork did you use?

Comments

• BluesnBBQ, Ihave done 34 pounds of butts, 26 pounds of brisket, 31 pounds of turkey breast, and 13 pounds of jerkey at one time. It's not as easy as it sounds but can be done real well on the large Egg with the right setup. I don't think you could serve 100 people with meat fresh off the cooker but I know you can do some of this in advance and still serve 100 people real easy with some tips and tricks. I have served up to 92 people but could easily serve 20-30 more. If a fellow just wants to do butts for 100 people and they eat like the folks I cook for, you would need to cook about 65 pounds of butts. You can e-mail me and I would be more than happy to tell you how to do this and my method of doing most of the cook in advance. There is no way your guests will know which meat is fresh off the cooker and which meat has been prepared in advance. [p]Hope this helps,[p]Old Dave
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    One method that I have used to reheat Pulled Pork for a group of people is the standard restaurant style Chaffing dish, the kind that are Sterno fired. The moist heat from the hot water under the pan reheats the meat nicely, Just keep turning the meat over to make sure that all the meat gets heated evenly. I also reheated the sauce in this manner separate from the meat. Expect this method to take about an hour to reheat. While the meat is reheating, you could lightly sprinkle it with a vinegar-based sauce.[p]Make as much of the pulled pork as you can a day or two before you need it. There will be enough to do on the day of the party.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk