Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about using the ceramic top to close off the fire in the cold

Options
Am new to egging and this last week have been using the egg for the first time in snow and ice.  Will the small ceramic top used to shut down the fire on top of the egg crack or break if it is put on the egg while it is hot?  I started to do it but the egg was hot and the top was cold--not usually a good mix!  The wisdom of more experienced eggers would be appreciated--thanks in advance!
Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  

Comments

• NervousDad
    Options
    I do it all of the time no issues.
    Aurora,OH
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Even if it cracks that's under warranty. I don't think it's anything to worry about, I've seen guys throw a hot platesetter into snow. I don't get snow, so I have no experience.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Haven't had any issue down to -5F
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Would not think so. If it did I would sure be at Eggs doorstep   
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I live in MN and use it to shut down regardless of temp. I've been doing it that way for 3 years as cold as -25 or-30 F. No issues here.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • bayouegger
    bayouegger Posts: 287
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I USED to have a ceramic top.  Grilled some oysters last weekend ala Dragos.  Shutdown the egg by closing the vent and placed the ceramic top back on.  Went in ate the oysters and my daughter says "can we make garlic bread out of the remaining French Bread".  Sure!  So make the garlic butter, spread it and walk out to the egg and grab the ceramic top,,,let go of it really fast and it fell to the ground and burst into a 100 pieces.  That sucker was some hot!!  Nice little burn to several fingers! This had to be about an hour or so after I shutdown the fire down.  Won't/Can't do that ever again  :D
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    ... -25 or-30 F. No issues here.
    Well, there goes your credibility if you think -30 is "no issue."

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    Never had any issues up here in -40. I always just put it on no matter the temp of egg
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @canegger ... NO, I wasn't talking about the cap on the egg.  I meant that folks who think temps down to -30 are no problem, have a loose relationship with reality.  I went to school in the Copper Country of Michigan - a little further north than Fargo is - and know about cold temps.  Love the snow, love the Northern Lights, love the intensely quiet nights, but don't like the below zero temps.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    @Jeepster47 was just answering op question. Have to agree with you on the below zero temps. Starting to not like it more and more every year
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    Many thanks everyone! Knew you would come through with an answer! Will put the cap on with confidence!
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.