Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Camera Gurus

Options
My 13 year old daughter has taken an interest in photography and she is wanting a camera for Christmas.  Any recommendations for a good starter camera?  I do not know anything about photography so I am not sure where to start. Would like to stay south of $500.  Thanks in advance for the input.
Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    @eggspinner

How strong is her interest? Has she expressed any interest in anything in particular, portraits, landscapes, etc?
    Does she want to be able to change lenses or wants a point & shoot to start out with?

If I was dad in this situation; I'd take a look at the Nikon D3300... Lots of bang for the buck, plenty of resolution, and comes with a decent kit lens to get her started. Also, there are lot's of Nikon and 3rd party (Tamron) lenses to get going forward as she starts to develop her eye and gets an idea of what kind of shooting she likes most...

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d3300

Most everyone here knows I'm a Sony(Minolta) guy... Love them, but for a beginner starting out, Nikon is a little easier of a system to get into (Plus, Sony makes all of the sensors for Nikon anyway)

If she isn't yet; she should sign up for a photography class or club at school to help her with the basics :)
  • EggSpinner
    Options
    Thanks @hapster and @theyolksonyou‌

She discovered the interest through yearbook at school and has been persistent in her requests since then. School sports and activities being the predominant subject matter and up to this point she has not really expressed any interest in other photog directives. She is young so we are somewhat uncertain of the longevity of her interest. Classes would be great if she stays with it.

The camera she is working with at school does have different lenses and something similar is what she is wanting. I will definitely take a look at the D3300.

Thanks and I really appreciate the input
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Another thing to consider is if the high school has a dark room. If so, consider a film camera
    as it may be preferential in photography class. Personally, I would go Canon just because that is what I learned on. You won't go wrong with anything brand-wise. I'd also consider starting with a prime lens because this will allow better learning of composition since you are the zoom, rather than the lens. It's comparable to taking training wheels off of a bike and being forced to learn balance.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    My 13 year old daughter has taken an interest in photography and she is wanting a camera for Christmas.  Any recommendations for a good starter camera?  I do not know anything about photography so I am not sure where to start. Would like to stay south of $500.  Thanks in advance for the input.
    @EggSpinner, I agree with @hapster.  The entry level Nikons(3300 &5300 (they increment up every year) are great starters for anyone looking to get into photography.  As Hap indicated, the kit lens (18-55) is a great kit lens.  Some kits include the 55-200 as well.  That is a pretty nice focal range there.  

I am a Nikon guy.  Why?  I went to a camera store and picked up all the brands and liked the way the Nikon felt in my hands, so that is what I got.  I am so invested in Nikon now, I would be crazy to switch, and I have no intentions to do so either.  

Here is a link for that camera w/18-55 lens and other goodies for under $500.  Click HERE

As @Eggcelsior said though, any entry level DSLR brand will do the trick.  They're all great cameras.  

If you're interested, I am a member of a photography club in Lexington.  It is called Lexington Photography Club and we meet at High Rock Outfitters twice a month for meetings.  There is a fairly large group that meets in Winston, but I cannot remember the name of it.  They meet over near or at the NC School of Arts.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm making the same recommendations for my nephew.  He's about the same age.

I'm recommending a Canon 5D (first Gen - 12.8 MP) - used on Amazon around $440  This is a full frame pro level camera.  You can abuse it by dropping it, taking it in the rain, leaving it in a hot trunk while driving through Chicago, it's virtually indestructible and cost about $3-4K new.

Prime lenses - start with just a 50mm f1.8 EF used.  Around $90 used.

Some memory cards and a reader.

You don't need huge megapixel cameras, the gear has bottomed out on depreciation (if you want to sell it, you'll get your money back), it's full frame and it's almost indestructible.  And if something does break, these cameras are built to be repaired.
    Depending on her interests of subject, a mirrorless camera is also an option. Slightly smaller price tag compared to a DSLR and a good set of options for lenses and flashes. Nikon makes a nice body of this type. That said, I shoot with a Canon 7D (first generation) that is an amazing piece of equipment and is probably pretty affordable since the version II has hit the market.

My $.02

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I echo what @nolaegghead said about the "nifty fifty" 50mm 1.8. For what it is, it's the best value of any SLR product, no matter the brand. Even new, it's about 120 bucks. The other nice part is that it's a "value" lens so it's light but still has fantastic optics. This could be a big deal for your daughter since the camera +lens can get quite heavy and cause fatigue.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Man oh man, that brings back some good memories, I had photography in high school, black and white only. It was the coolest thing I thought, taking the pictures, developing the film, then projecting the negatives on light sensitive paper and producing pics!! Is 35mm film even a thing anymore? It also was great that all the pretty girls always wanted to pose for me!
    All my shenanigans aside, I would say support her on this, it is a fun and interesting hobby that could turn into a career.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    She really just needs to learn the basics.  Nikon/Canon - not really important.  Does she have access to any instruction in school?  Broad stroke advice - have her find photographs she likes and have her try to emulate that photo.  If she has no instruction at this time, just do internet searching-she will find lots of good advice and techniques.
  • snakedriver
    Options
    Some folks (myself included) are more able to grasp and learn and employ the techniques for any particular thing (camera, in this case) by being allowed to learn in their own fashion versus going to a class. Determining which route is entirely personal, known best by those who best know the personality type of the one in question. Access to online information and books is amazing in volume and scope. Classes can sometimes stifle a natural thought process and creativity but can churn out cookie-cutter graduates who are technically competent.

This said, some are better served by a classroom environment. In either case, trial and error along with cause and effect are the best teachers, and are more conducive to adding to one's long term memory those lessons.

I started with film 35mm and now shoot with a medium format Hasselblad.
  • EggSpinner
    Options
    Wow: @eggcelsior, @tarheelmatt, @nolaegghead; @ChrisgrillsSTLMO, @anton, @dihtn, @sdnakedriver  Awesome input!

I like the idea of the whole package but I also like what nola said about the abuse the 5d can take.  Are any of the cameras mentioned above more fragile than others?  Given her age, I suspect the toughness factor may be something else to consider.

Based on your recommendations here are three I am looking at:
    Canon 5D: Current bid is $355
    Canon 7D: Current bid is $400

With the Canon cameras I will need to buy the other needed equipment separate ie lens, memory card, readers etc which, from what I can find, should be in the <$150> range.

From a lack of experience on my part and a guaranteed cost perspective (vs bidding/buying used) I think I am leaning towards the Nikon package deal.  Plus I can get her everything that she needs to get started at once.  I would probably buy the wrong lens or screw it up somehow...

@tarheelmatt Any camera shops in the area that you would recommend?  Maybe one that sells used or at least so that she can go and hold one to see what feels comfortable.  
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    @EggSpinner, I have nothing to add to what has already been said about cameras.   However, I thought you might want to be aware that since college basketball season has started you can remove the statement from your tagline that relates to our NCAA tournament bracket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @nolaegghead or other camera gurus -- is there a nikon full frame equivalent to the canon you mentioned?  something that can be bought used for ~$500 or so?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • EggSpinner
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder @Foghorn.  You da man
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @blind99, you can take a look at KEH.com.  I doubt you can though.  You can get a D700 pretty cheap these days and it is still a workhorse.  

$500 will get you a D300 or D300s probably.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @nolaegghead or other camera gurus -- is there a nikon full frame equivalent to the canon you mentioned?  something that can be bought used for ~$500 or so?
    Do you have any FF lenses?  One of the draw backs of FF is the lenses.  They're pretty expensive as they're more geared towards the gold ring pro line with Nano coating.  There are some that are not of course.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Wow: @eggcelsior, @tarheelmatt, @nolaegghead; @ChrisgrillsSTLMO, @anton, @dihtn, @sdnakedriver  Awesome input!

I like the idea of the whole package but I also like what nola said about the abuse the 5d can take.  Are any of the cameras mentioned above more fragile than others?  Given her age, I suspect the toughness factor may be something else to consider.

With the Canon cameras I will need to buy the other needed equipment separate ie lens, memory card, readers etc which, from what I can find, should be in the <$150> range.

From a lack of experience on my part and a guaranteed cost perspective (vs bidding/buying used) I think I am leaning towards the Nikon package deal.  Plus I can get her everything that she needs to get started at once.  I would probably buy the wrong lens or screw it up somehow...

@tarheelmatt Any camera shops in the area that you would recommend?  Maybe one that sells used or at least so that she can go and hold one to see what feels comfortable.  
    Only ones I am aware of is in Charlotte and Durham.  I buy all my stuff through Adorama, KEH, B&H, and Amazon though.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Don't get me wrong, the pro bodies are beefy with magnesium alloy frames and are sealed more for moisture and dust, however the other bodies are tough too.  

Going full frame is great but has drawbacks too, espically with lens selections.  The 50mm will work on it at that price but would typically have to go towards the more pro line glass for other options.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    @EggSpinner

two quick practical considerations from me
    1. 13 year old girls come in a variety of sizes and that changes over the years.  figure out how long you expect this to be the camera for her and make sure the camera body fits her hands.
    2. if you expect her to continue be involved in photography at school (eg HS yearbook), then it might be worth checking on HS she'll be attending to see what they use.  Most will have equipment for the kids to shoot events/sports with, including some of the big, high-end stuff for football games, etc.  Most likely it will be Canon or Nikon or 3rd party lenses with Canon or Nikon mounts.  If you know which going in and buy the same brand body, then she can use those lenses on her camera body instead of having to shift to a borrowed camera body she won't know as well.  A quick call or email to the teacher at the HS that oversees that might prove helpful.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    So much good advice above. I started my Photography interest with a one week after school class in 7th grade. We made a pin hole camera and processed the B&W film and made a contact sheet with a utility lamp. Hooked from that point on. The school yearbook was soon to follow.

My only added tip is that many of the newer, lower priced, Canon lenses are not made to fit the pro style full frame cameras like the 5D.
    The 7D is also fairly strong and will have a very nice LCD screen on the back for preview.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    For sports I would recommend a crop sensor camera not full frame. The 7D is a fast camera that can do well in low light. Check with her school to see what equipment they supply the students with first. Rick Sammon "The Complete Guide to Digital Photography 2.0"and Bryan Peterson "Understanding Exposure "have some great books for the beginner. What type of computer do you have? Adobe Photoshop Elements is under $100 and you can get student discounts on software.
  • blind99
    Options

thanks @tarheelmatt

I've got a D40 and I like the images it makes.  It's been a great camera.  Not like I need another camera, but they're pretty cool, and I'd like to have one that has faster continuous shooting, faster and better autofocus, and better low light capability. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @blind99, I have a D300 and it was a workhorse for me for a long time, especially for sports.  However, the one thing I really needed as I was slowly getting into wedding gigs, was low light needs.  I went to FF and bought a D600 and I must say it was a game changer. I had bought non-DX glass because I knew I was going FF in the future, so the cost wasn't as large for me.  

The D7k series is a pretty good body from what I hear.  A friend of mine has one and loves it.  ISO can be pushed a lot farther than any DX body Nikon has made.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @blind99, I have a D300 and it was a workhorse for me for a long time, especially for sports.  However, the one thing I really needed as I was slowly getting into wedding gigs, was low light needs.  I went to FF and bought a D600 and I must say it was a game changer. I had bought non-DX glass because I knew I was going FF in the future, so the cost wasn't as large for me.  

The D7k series is a pretty good body from what I hear.  A friend of mine has one and loves it.  ISO can be pushed a lot farther than any DX body Nikon has made.  
    Agreed. I started with a Crop Sensor but only bought FF lenses due to the fact that I would upgrade to FF in the future. I suppose it all depends on your wants. I do low-light portraits and landscape, mostly. I shot sports for the student newspaper in high school but that was on an AE-1 and New F-1. I'll probably get back into it once my girls are older and doing organized activities.
  • blind99
    Options
    @tarheelmatt when I was younger I shot 400 35mm film and pushed it to 1600 and developed it myself.  I loved shooting in natural light.  I've got a 50mm 1.8 lens for my D40 and thought that would do the trick, but it doesn't.  I've seen some natural light shots from the full frame cameras and they're so impressive.  some day maybe i'll find a way to justify one!
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @blind99 the other thing that amazes me is flash on a full frame. I have some nutso shots from brisket camp using bounce flash but I need to upgrade my computer to upload them. Right now all my images on are on memory cards and DVDs.
  • EggSpinner
    Options
    @Legume good suggestion to check with the high school to see what they use.  Trying to figure out how to get a few different ones for her to hold but we do not really have a camera shop close.  Will ask her what the school is using now (still in middle school) but I think that Costco here has either the Nikon D3300 or D7100 that she can put in her hands.
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @blind99, I have the 50mm 1.8G (had the 1.4G previously and sold it).  The only time I use that lens is for shooting a new born or something.  A D300 will get you ISO 1600, but I needed more.  I needed acceptable images at ISO6400, and I have no problem with that now.  I even have one I took in Rome last year at ISO 25600 and it is not to bad.  It was dark and I really wanted to see what the camera would do.  Run it through NR via LR and it wasn't bad at all.  I'll post the picture below.  

Now, as far as flash goes, I use flash in some way, shape, or fashion in most of my portrait work.  I use off camera mostly for that.  I just like that little bit of fill light to really make the subject "pop".  

Personally, I am not a prime type of guy.  I have tired it, and just don't like it.  I like zooms.  Some folks like primes and that is fine, I am just not.  The 70-200VRII and the 24-70 lenses are sharp enough for me and acceptable to my customers.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • EggSpinner
    EggSpinner Posts: 69
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Photo_Egg thanks for the tip Darian. Thought about you guys the other day. image :-c
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC