Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A wood-burning ban may be coming...

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
This is being discussed in our esteemed Legislature again, a wood-burning ban (not just on "red" days, which we already have, but over the entire winter months); exempt would be homes with wood heat only, and (possibly) places like pizzerias.  Nothing's been mentioned about wood-burning private cookers, and I'm not going to be asking the question out loud.
Many would think, "Salt Lake City, that's up in the Rocky Mountains, fresh pure air everywhere!"  And a lot of the time that's the case, but because of SLC's geographic location (the bottom of a bowl formed by the Wasatch and the Oquirr mountain ranges), when there are no winds and cold temperatures, the exhaust and smoke chills quickly and just sits there at the valley floor, sometimes for weeks:

Yeah, I live at the bottom of that!  Occasionally you'll see someone walking downtown with a mask on, as you see in China.  Last winter it got so bad on my throat that I had to get a hotel in Wyoming on two different weekends, just to give my throat a break in some fresh mountain air.  
So, the ban may not be a bad idea after all; I don't cook constantly on my Eggs during the winter, but it's neat to be able to.  But, I could give it up for a few months a year if I had to.  
I had planned on retiring here, but it has gotten so much worse in the 20 years I've lived here, I'm starting to reconsider.... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @botch, just move your egg into the garage and claim its for heat. Or better yet, retire in WY.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Wow, looks like a scene out of a sci-fi movie.  Good luck
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks like LA. I didn't realize SLC was like that. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    The ordinance in Sacramento County specifically exempts any wood burning cooking appliance from the directive.
    So while I can't burn in my fireplace when the particulate count is high, I can smoke in my BGE to my hearts content.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Time to make a filter for your Egg exhaust. Question for @henapple.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I have been to Salt Lake City many times before, and I am one of those that assumed you were breathing very fresh air all day every day.

I have learned something today. If they ban egging you have got to move. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Before this thread takes off on partisan politics let me be the first to say:

This is your government at work.

Because some idiot doesn't know not to burn his giant pile of brush in dry windy conditions, you can't use your egg.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Before this thread takes off on partisan politics let me be the first to say:

This is your government at work.

Because some idiot doesn't know not to burn his giant pile of brush in dry windy conditions, you can't use your egg.

Well, I don't know about it being purely governmental. You can't cure stupid.

Then again, legislating away stupidity is near impossible too.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Wow...rare photo showing a beautiful image that is also just as sad once you hear the story.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Denver had the same issue in the 80s not sure how they are doing now. Curious where this picture was taken, every time I came to SLC I was driving up to park city. I am sure that view is amazing on a clear day.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    We also have lived with burn bans for the past several years. After the hood was almost burnt up by a transient living in the woods, all the surrounding areas were inspected by the fire department. The inspector had no problem with the eggs on the back porch, but did suggest that we only use the large ( on the lower patio) after a good rain or really soak down the wooded property behind the fence. (Water restrictions prevent that).
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Before this thread takes off on partisan politics let me be the first to say: This is your government at work. Because some idiot doesn't know not to burn his giant pile of brush in dry windy conditions, you can't use your egg.
    Well, I don't know about it being purely governmental. You can't cure stupid. Then again, legislating away stupidity is near impossible too.
    Well, when the stupids are writing the laws, they would have to legislate themselves out of existence in order to legislate away stupidity.  somehow, I don't see that happening.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    We also have lived with burn bans for the past several years. After the hood was almost burnt up by a transient living in the woods, all the surrounding areas were inspected by the fire department. The inspector had no problem with the eggs on the back porch, but did suggest that we only use the large ( on the lower patio) after a good rain or really soak down the wooded property behind the fence. (Water restrictions prevent that).
    we must live very close - I remember that fire, waaaay too close for me, was very glad it didn't jump 290
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Before this thread takes off on partisan politics let me be the first to say: This is your government at work. Because some idiot doesn't know not to burn his giant pile of brush in dry windy conditions, you can't use your egg.
    I'm not being partisan or political, but I do want to hear your proposal/solution.
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's not uncommon for us to see "burn bans" here in the Sunshine state. But, it's mostly to keep rocket scientists from burning brush, trash or whatever especially after '98 with the crazy wildfires that engulfed a large portion of the state. Using some common sense ("Ass u me"that people still have some of this and idiocracy hasn't already taken over) I see no reason not to use the egg. Our burn bans limited people to No open burn piles, camp fires, etc. Grilling was not effected so long as it wasn't an open camp fire style.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That sounds reasonable.  I think there's a fire hazard issue and a smog issue (two separate issues here).  I don't see restricting cooking fires in grills a logical safety measure for fire hazard (dry conditions, wind), but for smog where people's health is collectively impacted, that can make sense.  Solution would be wear respirators, move, clean up the smog or do none of that and just accept some misery and death as part of life.
    Options
    I used to live in Boise and gets similar conditions. "Inversion". The cold upper air actually gets flipped then trapped against the mountains. The temp in the city can be 20 degrees lower than up on the slopes. That air remains trapped until a strong wind comes in to blow it out. I don't remember it ever being a pollution issue (just cold, cloudy, damp, dreary), but it does make sense given the trapped air.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that people grilling can add to smog....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ just as Blake said, just exclude bbq grills. Only open un contained fires. :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Jeremiah - ok.  Sensible.
    Spent a summer in Colorado several years ago. The pine beetles had wiped out a lot of lodge pole. They were laying beside the roads everywhere and no body wanted them. When they were cut, the state would not allow burning of slash piles due to particulate emissions. When the fires started the piles almost exploded. Does wild fire not create particulate emissions?
    Controlled burns practiced here in Georgia where trees are a cash crop, were banned. In the east duff will eventually rot, but not with single digit humidity. Controlled burns reduce wildfire, add nutrients to the soil and are good for browsing wildlife. I watched reports of wildfire in California and can only think, this is needless. Controlled burns every several years when the weather is right could have prevented most of this.
    I could go on at length over other stupid environmental laws passed by ignorant city dwellers who want the world as they imagine it, not as it is.
    Off the soap box and on to cooking.
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• nolaegghead
    Options
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I also live in salt lake city, and that photo is correct for roughly two weeks a year, sometimes more. I have been following the burn ban closely as I am working towards building a wfo. When the air is bad I don't egg, simply because I don't like being outside in it. I worry this ban will become all inclusive, everything. What made me mad is this week all of the freeway speed limits went up to 70 in the city. My wife and I drive hybrids, and I drive very slow to keep my mileage above 50mpg. Raising the speed limit, then proposing a burn ban seems to be two opposing things. Our air quality is a factor of many things, one of the largest being a population explosion where everyone commutes. This must be addressed. It's a serious issue in our state, but it's going to require a broad solution covering more than a few fireplaces. Our geography traps air during the winter, it's the one negative about the beauty of our valley(s).
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Spent a summer in Colorado several years ago. The pine beetles had wiped out a lot of lodge pole. They were laying beside the roads everywhere and no body wanted them. When they were cut, the state would not allow burning of slash piles due to particulate emissions. When the fires started the piles almost exploded. Does wild fire not create particulate emissions?
    Controlled burns practiced here in Georgia where trees are a cash crop, were banned. In the east duff will eventually rot, but not with single digit humidity. Controlled burns reduce wildfire, add nutrients to the soil and are good for browsing wildlife. I watched reports of wildfire in California and can only think, this is needless. Controlled burns every several years when the weather is right could have prevented most of this.
    I could go on at length over other stupid environmental laws passed by ignorant city dwellers who want the world as they imagine it, not as it is.
    Off the soap box and on to cooking.
    Bob
    Wildfires are nature's "controlled" burn, unless started by man. The issue isn't the fires. The issue is people that choose to live in burn zones.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Except for those mountains it looks just like the skyline of Toronto.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    henapple said:
    I find it hard to believe that people grilling can add to smog....
    "Cept when Mick is making wings.

Steve 

Caledon, ON