Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hasty Bake - Score! (what would you do)

2»

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Awesome Score!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • That's pretty cool. Amazon is obviously a huge company doing pretty great. Not as much $$$ but I was suprised last month with my subscribe and save order. Had a bunch of things I didn't want that month. I sent them a message for a return label and they said don't worry about it refunded me and told me to keep them.

I'll have to look up the hasty bake oven.

XLBGE 
  • I'd count your blessing and not submit a warranty claim though.

XLBGE 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I should have put in an order for the 5 bags of lump before you called.  If it was a computer glitch then it's fixed by now.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    DMW said:

Merry Christmas to me!

They said I can keep it, AND they will be shipping me the lump I ordered!

My outdoor kitchen plans just changed.

Anyone else have a Hasty Bake?

Congrats on the Hasty Bake Score!

I would have done the same as you and contacted Amazon. If they’re willing to let you keep it you should have no worries about keeping it or selling it.

I own a Hasty Bake Gourmet (model 256) and can give you my assessment on mine. The logo reads “Grill, Bake, or Smoke” on it and I would rank its functions in that order. It works well as a grill and supposedly you can rotisserie on the Legacy (haven’t seen a pic of it but I do on my Gourmet). Long smokes require more fire maintenance as it really isn’t nearly as efficient as an Egg and to do a long smoke you’re either refilling lump periodically or fashioning a charcoal maze in the firebox to slow/extend the cook time.

Here’s what I think are Pros/Cons on it:
    Pros

-versatile with quick adjustments in temp by raising or lowering the firebox

-easy to clean up after if you line the ash pan with foil

-easy to add charcoal and/or smoke wood

-storage area under the ash pan

-ability to rotisserie

Cons

-thin walls & lack of a good seal resulting in:

inefficient burn compared to an Egg

need to refill or build a maze for long smokes

harder to keep warm in cold/windy conditions

-heat deflector is too thin and will bend/warp on you pretty quickly (I’ve considered bolting or welding on additional support).

-thermometer is too short and reads low compared to actual temps at the center of the cooking grate

-temps are not as responsive to changes in vent settings as an Egg

In my opinion, if you don’t need the cooking space or if you really want another cooker (seem to recall you having your eye on a stick burner), you might consider selling it now before you cook on it to get more for it as "new" than "used" and putting the funds towards something you really want or need.

There are some really passionate Hasty Bake owners out there but I would bet they don't own a kamado. IMO, there's not much it can do that you can't do better on an Egg.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • ^:)^

Nice score!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Man, lets see the grill>>.........
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @R2Egg2Q
    Thanks for the review, I appreciate it. I'm going to hang on to it, I think it will be perfect for side dishes and as a chicken cooker.

I managed to break away from concalls long enough to put it together.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I know you make some killer looking bread, maybe this will work for baking... It looks pretty cool..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    See, I knew you couldn't resist!  Nice looking unit.  You really need to name this like SGH.  Maybe, Unit 69?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Awesome man!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @DMW‌
    I hate to admit this. But I would have done cooked several meals on it. I would have took it as a sign that I should be eating more. If I returned it to them, it would be returned well used. It's a no brainer for me ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• you did the right thing... we ordered stools for work in the past and they shipped several extra in a case, saying keep them. you asked and they said keep it so all you can do is try.
    Beaufort, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @DMW‌
    I would offer to return it ultimately. But I would trial run it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Nice score!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Wow...."Some guys have all the luck." I'm mean seriously. It's a $1k grill to just "keep." That's just awesome.
    Dunedin, FL
  • If it was an EGG she would never believe you.

XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Man!  I'm gonna place an Amazon order for $50 worth of Ferrari driving gloves and hope for the best!
    That's probably only 1 glove.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited December 2014
    rtt121 said:
    Man!  I'm gonna place an Amazon order for $50 worth of Ferrari driving gloves and hope for the best!
    That's probably only 1 glove.
    More like one finger.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Where's the pix of the 13 5-pack of lump charcoal? That should be 650 lbs...

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• DMW
    SmyrnaGA said:

Where's the pix of the 13 5-pack of lump charcoal? That should be 650 lbs...

Ha, I wish. That was the packing label from HB to Amazon. I have a feeling that may have been the culprit in the mix up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    So do you still get your lump ?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    grege345 said:

So do you still get your lump ?

Yes, the replacement lump showed up yesterday.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited February 2018
    I had a neighbor order a sled from Target.  A 65" tv showed up.  Target treated him like a criminal and spent weeks screwing around trying to get a pickup service get it.  They annoyed my neighbor so bad he finally chucked it into his CRV with tailgate open in the winter and brought it to a store.  They wouldn't keep it because the store and internet site used different systems.  He left it anyways and called the internet side of the business and gave them the stores address.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS