Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast - New to BGE, not grilling

Hello all.  I am new to the BGE, having just purchased my XL about a month ago.  That said, I have been cooking with great success on a Weber charcoal grill for many years.  Taking knowledge learned on the Weber, I set out to cook a 2 bone 5.5 pound rib roast over this last weekend.  It turned out excellent, in texture, temperature, and taste.  I did not sear it, for fear of overshooting the temp.  I did hold the dome temp between 375 and 400 for the entire cook, cooked indirect (fire on one side of the grill, and meat on the other, no ceramic deflector used).  I cut the bone away from the roast and cooked it separately.  I also let the roast warm up on our granite counter top for about half an hour before cooking, turning it several times.  Granite pulls a lot of temperature away from anything it touches, so it accelerates the warm up process for cold items, and cool down process for hot items.  The roast was rubbed with dried minced garlic and fresh cracked black pepper a day ahead of the cook.  I lightly rubbed course kosher salt on the roast right before cooking.  I used Stubbs charcoal on this cook (taste profile we grew to love from the Weber days) and some chunks of hickory I make from my firewood supply.  I laid heavy smoke to the roast throughout the cook, again, this is the way we like it.  Cooked the roast to 125 and took it off and let it rest for about 20 minutes or so while I made some au jus, which brought the temp up to 134.  (au jus - 1/4 cup butter (melt in skillet), whisk in 1.5 Tablespoons all-purpose flour for a few minutes till thickened, add 2 Cups low sodium beef broth (or home made from the rib bones if you prefer), boil till thickens a bit (will still be runny), salt and pepper to taste -  I added sliced mushrooms when I added the beef broth and cooked them down - EXCELLENT tasting au jus (wife all smiles)). 

I enjoy the simple things in life, like travel, grilling, camping, motorcycling, and prefer to do them all in the same weekend.  Life is short, enjoy each moment. 

Comments