Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg modifications you've made

New XL owner, two days, two cooks. I'd like a longer handle when lifting the top. Any examples of that or other modifications ???? Thanks, matt
Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas

Comments

• No JohninCarolina - I did a quick search on mangrates. Is it a cast iron grates for grilling ???

Toledo, OH

• JohnInCarolina - I got it. Thanks.
    Toledo, OH

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

I saw an aftermarket handle extender if you will at the Roswell Hardware event on Saturday. I'm sure if you call Roswell Hardware, Roswell GA they would know the name of the vender. He also had some other stuff like holders for grates, a light, etc. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    The aftermarket extended handle is from Mike Chance.

I saw his prototype at DizzyFest this year, however I don't see it listed on his website yet.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Have you heard about mangrates?
    JIC I can't believe you did that, now on to the t-shirts
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Stumbled onto this picture off the SmokeWare Facebook page.  That's quite the lever arm.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Stumbled onto this picture off the SmokeWare Facebook page.  That's quite the lever arm.

I wonder is that is offered for someone in a wheelchair, or for someone who is fearful of a flashback and isn't willing to learn how to easily prevent a flashback. hmmmm
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Jeepster47‌ Wow that's insane! To each their own I guess.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I chatted with Mike at Dizzyfest about it. He created it because his wife was afraid of flashbacks. The reason it is angled down like that is because that was what he had on hand. And he decided to go with it as the leverage it provides makes it very easy to open, something else his wife appreciated.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Smokeware cap is pretty awesome. And then a solid way to do two level cooking. I have a woo extender. Don't make those anymore. I'd get a good AR set up. Also I really enjoy a pit controller on some cooks. Not needed but it is a nice convenience at times. PartyQ is plenty but there are more with bells and whistles. Check out ceramic grill store and BBQ gurus online.

Extended handle is kind of odd?? Anyone have one want to tell why?

XLBGE 
  • And these are always cool.

http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com/?m=1

Great product too. Mine has been outside for about two years and looks brand new.

#-o I hope you didn't buy mangrates shame on you John

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I made a stainless steel handle base and cedar custom handle.  Extended it out an inch or so.  I think a long extension on the handle might be desirable if you're cooking a lot of hot stuff like pizza where you want to be as far away from the flashback as possible.  I can see that being a good feature, although it's another obsticle for clumsy people to knock into
    RRP said:

I wonder is that is offered for someone in a wheelchair, or for someone who is fearful of a flashback and isn't willing to learn how to easily prevent a flashback. hmmmm
    I guess you could also mount a GoPro video camera on it to shoot your food on the Egg every time it's opened.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • piney said:
    Have you heard about mangrates?
    JIC I can't believe you did that, now on to the t-shirts

I thought the same, of course I was searching mangrates threads after about two days here as well. :P
  • RRP
    Photo Egg said:

I guess you could also mount a GoPro video camera on it to shoot your food on the Egg every time it's opened.
    yeah...or stick your head thru that big opening and then raise the dome using your shoulders thereby leaving both hands free to work with your food!
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited December 2014

Heres a 1/4 the price alternative and it'll fit over the daisy wheel

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• RRP
    AUCE said:

Heres a 1/4 the price alternative and it'll fit over the daisy wheel

True about the price and yes it makes a great rain cap, but it doesn't regulate exhaust like the adjustable SmokeWare cap...
  • nolaegghead
    Here's my handle construction.  Like usual, I go way overboard.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144973/custom-bge-handle-diy-warning-pic-heavy/p1
    edited December 2014
    @nolaegghead - nice work - now a question about your painted vise. It appears it may be vintage. What brand may I ask if it is in fact as old as it appears to be?
    Here's my vise from 1908.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i made a carrier, mounts to the four wheeler and easy to tie down in the truck or trailer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    @rrp how did you get the date, one of my better vises is an old athol, the company was bought by starrett in 1905. ive probably got some even older in the welding bay. you would probably love my shop, i have some really old stuff that ive retrofitted over the years, theres a set of 1903 rolls that will roll form 3/8 plate x 10 foot long into pipe or cylinders, some old late 1800 belt run lathes that are now weld lathes, an old 1800's iron worker that once punched out the tank heads for the old riveted steam locomotives that i use to swedge american pipe ends down to german pipe sizes. its amazing what you can do with equipement from a hundred years ago
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    @RRP - it's a "Columbia".  I got it from an old research institute along with a much larger Wilton.  They have to be at least 45 years old, but maybe much more. 
    @rrp how did you get the date, one of my better vises is an old athol, the company was bought by starrett in 1905. ive probably got some even older in the welding bay. you would probably love my shop

yes I would, Mike! The 1908 date was cast into mine. BTW this vise was sitting in my garage headed for my basement workshop when that picture was taken. It was my Father's vise which I inherited. Dad owned and operated a blacksmith shop during the '30s & '40s in Washington, IA. You mention some of your equipment being old belt driven. Dad's shop had pulleys and huge belts running from the back of the shop to the front with take offs to power all sorts of huge stationary equipment. I can still hear the turning and lumbering of those belts and all were powered by a massive electric motor at the back.
  • fishlessman

@rrp
    i just replaced a belt on our L&N pressbrake. theres no date on it but SS Illinois is stenciled on the back of it so im assuming its from the battleship built in the 40's. i googled L&N pressbrake, there must not of been many, my facility list was the first result
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    There's a bunch of info on vises on the garage journal. Here's a good thread if anyone is interested.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62716
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Was going to start a new thread about mods to your egg but found this older one. What after market products have you found to be great or junk? And what have made from
    scratch to solve a problem. Be a great resource for us new eggers. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Redneck version last nite so I could get my plate setter above the gasket line. Not perfect but worked.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Well, I over tightened and sheared off one of the handle bolts 7 years ago when I put it together so I have a handle that swings on one bolt and comes loose from time to time. Doesn't improve my cooking, doesn't hurt it and someone else would have fixed it long ago but I haven't started yet. 

Not sure it's a true modification but if my egg ever commits a crime you can pick it out of a lineup. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    It's safe to say that extended handle didn't catch on.