Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hasty Bake - Score! (what would you do)

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Hasty Bake lump was on sale at Amazon for $52.45 for 5 10# bags this weekend. Not a bad deal with Prime and free shipping.

Well anyway, today UPS shows up and says they have a really big box. I figure, it's only 50 lbs, but whatever.

I open the garage and move my truck so he can put the box in out of the rain. Well....he rolls in this.

I think, that doesn't look like charcoal, it can't be what I think it is...But, yeah, where the box is ripped, you can see the handle to open the side door.

And from this side it is clearly marked:

I started to get worried that I accidentally ordered the wrong thing from Amazon. My wife would kill me if I accidentally ordered another cooker.

Check the packing slip.

OK, that looks legit. I double check my Amazon account, yep, I paid $52.45 for 5 bags of charcoal, not $999 for a Hasty Bake Legacy 131.

Whew, at least my wife won't kill me for dropping a grand on another cooker from my cell phone in a drunken stupor...

Now to try to find a phone number for Amazon. They don't have an option on their website for what to do if they ship you the wrong thing but you are willing to keep it if they don't mind. :D
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Last year my wife ordered a digital art tablet(400 bucks) for my daughter on Amazon and when it came in there was a case of them (6). She did what you did and checked her account and we only paid for one. She called amazon and they said "keep them". I sold the rest on ebay. Good luck

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I would send them a letter via snail mail - hey, I love amazon, here are 100 reasons why, then...I got an oven I didn't order.  Please respond.  Non response will be interpreted as implicit permission to keep. 
    Options
    I received a Casio keyboard a few month ago.  I didn't order it, wasn't charged for it.  I called them up and after 20 minutes, they said keep it.
    Options
    Score.  That's one hell of a $52.45 grill.   :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I received a Casio keyboard a few month ago.  I didn't order it, wasn't charged for it.  I called them up and after 20 minutes, they said keep it.
    Take it away, Keyboard Cat!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sooo... open that mutha up!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    Options
    On the phone with them now, they want to provide me with a return label and I can drop it off at UPS. I said no, it's too big, can I keep it. :D

She is checking...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    Merry Christmas to me!
    They said I can keep it, AND they will be shipping me the lump I ordered!

My outdoor kitchen plans just changed.

Anyone else have a Hasty Bake?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    You should get something for the trouble if they want you to move it :) 
    Dallas, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    You must be living right!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sweet!  Now, open that mutha up!   
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Crazy! Someone entered the wrong item info for that pick bay at the warehouse. The holidays is such a rotten time of year to lose your job. I wonder how many they sold like that. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Wow. Good for you
  • DMW
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I hope no one lost their job. I would have been more than willing to have them send me a call tag and have UPS or freight pick it up, but they seemed a lot more concerned about making me happy and apologized profusely for sending me the wrong thing.

They are sending me an email survey to make sure I was satisfied with my customer service experience. I would say I am.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• minniemoh
    Options
    @DMW - I hope not too as people make mistakes. Good for you on a great score. With the volume of products they ship, I'm sure they would rather have your residual business and can write off the mistake. Could have been a computer glitch too. Anyway, it's going to be fun to see what you cook on that thing. I can only imagine trying to explain that to the Mrs. HA! My wife would certainly have some skepticism. 
    eggAddict from MN!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @DMW-as you know, "Better to be lucky than good any day!"  Great audible and way to play it out right there.  Good luck with selling the story to SWMBO-you need to have all the evidence laid out and clearly marked :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Hell yeah! Christmas came early. You need to buy a lottery ticket ASAP! If you're running out of room, I'll take the egg off your hands.  :D
    Dallas, TX
  • DMW
    Options
    @tarheelmatt I got it opened, but it needs some assembly. That will need to wait until after work, and we have my daughter's choral concert tonight. Might be a late one for me, because I will put it together today. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    TN2TX said:
    Hell yeah! Christmas came early. You need to buy a lottery ticket ASAP! If you're running out of room, I'll take the egg off your hands.  :D
    Ha! This is just motivation to get the concrete pad poured out back ASAP!

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• minniemoh
    Options
    DMW said:
    TN2TX said:
    Ha! This is just motivation to get the concrete pad poured out back ASAP!

We expect nothing short of @thatgrimguy for a final product! (or any of the rest of the really nice egging areas posted here)  :D
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ...  Good luck with selling the story to SWMBO- ...
    That should be an easy sell.  Assemble it, put a bow around it with a tag that says, "Merry Christmas Love."  Don't tell her how you paid for it ... let her wonder where you found the money without it going through the household budget.

Honestly, you guys are killing me ... first a less than $200 KJ, then a $299 SBGE, and now a "buy five bags of Hasty-Bake lump and get a free oven" deal.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Sweet!  I would have done the exact same thing you did.  I would have called them to let them know about the mistake, but they need to send someone to pick it up if they want it back.  For that big of a price difference I'm a bit surprised they didn't come get it! 

I happened to see a video from the Meathead (amazgingribs) and the HB is his favorite cooker. 

This isn't the vid, but he gives a great review. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Man that's freaking awesome! +1 on hoping no one lost their job!

Edit: just watched the promo video. Now I want one. :)] maybe I'll order some lump too lol
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Hey WTF.....The UPS guy just pulled up with 50 lb's lump.....I ordered a flippen oven.... ^#(^
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm ... been wanting to try out the Hasty-Bake lump ... MAYBE!!!!!  Naw, I'm about as lucky as johnmitchell, they'd send me the wrong order ... five useless items.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice score @DMW its your lucky day!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Ok, had to go take a closer look at it. If I had paid for it, I would be a bit annoyed by the poor packaging for shipping. The rear hinge and the firebox door were both bent a bit. I'm sure I can straighten it out though. It looks interesting and fairly well made, though I'm sure it will suffer from the same issue as any non-insulated metal cooker, weather.

Regardless, I look forward to trying it out, maybe this weekend...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Amazon ate the loss.  The manufacturer was paid.  I would think the warranty is good.  I understand it if you don't want to push your luck, I'd just try straightening it out myself.
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Merry Christmas!!! That's quite the score. You did the right thing, so enjoy it with a clear conscience.

And folks, please... nobody is losing their job over this. If companies fired someone every time an order was filled incorrectly, or a sale price was incorrectly posted, they would be so busy hiring and firing that they would never have enough time for regular business.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.